PDA

View Full Version : Influence by example...

LittleDragonErin
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
I had a situation the other day in VMK which got me thinking. Now it's happened before several times but not to this extent.

I was in a guest room and one of my VMK friends who is on another board was in the room with me. I don't know her outside of VMK or the other board. She had a couple friend in the room as well but I didn't know any of them. Anyway, I must have come into the middle of an already ongoing conversation because they were chatting and I had no idea what about.

So I said hi to my friend and was about to go find another friend to hang out with since I felt like I wasn't inside the circle, but then my friend started asking me some trading questions. So I stuck around to answer them. They weren't really significant questions, just questions like is this a good trade or is my hat worth this, etc. etc.

After a while, I realized the other 2 friends were quiet the whole time we were talking about these trades. It kind of felt like one of those awkward silences like I was intruding on something. So I figured, either I should go, or say something to break the ice. I didn't want to be rude to my friend so I aske the other two how they were doing. Both responded they were good. So I just continued by asking if they've been playing VMK for a while or if they were pretty new, what games they liked, etc. etc. Ended up staying in the room for 2 hours just chatting away.

The next day I got a PM on the other board from my friend. Her first line said, "Thank you so very very much." And I thought to myself...hmm...did I give her something free last night? But then I realized there was a huge chunk of a paragraph that followed explaining why she was thanking me.

As I read it, I almost started to cry. Basically it said this... One of her 2 friends that was in the room was having a very difficult time at home. VMK was her escape from reality because her friends on VMK didn't know who she was. They couldn't see what she looked like behind the avatar. They couldn't pass judgement by seeing her lifestyle, her looks, what she did or did not have, etc. Her parents were bearing down on her pretty hard about everything from school to chores at this time. Her real life friends were ignoring her. Basically she felt like she was worthless and life wasn't worth it anymore.

The conversation I had walked in on was her telling the other two about how miserable she was and how she didn't want her life to be like this anymore. Basically she was hinting at suicide. And she is only 14.

Apparently she has been in my rooms a few times or has crossed my path in Main Street or has seen me in her other friends rooms. Sadly, her title wasn't one that I recognize and usually I'm good at remembering people I meet even if for only a few minutes. Apparently though I've always been nice to her and have always answered whatever questions she had, no matter how trivial they were. And the night before, she had been so affected by me not ignoring her, but rather talking to her, that she had a renewed interest in life again. It cheered her up enough to forget whatever real problems she was having.

Suffice to say I was pretty moved by this. I know sometimes our actions (even in a virtual game) can have a profound affect on others. But having it actually happen like this really got to me and made me think. It scares me as well, knowing how easily it could have gone the other way. Had I instead made the choice to leave rather than stay.

Well, that's my deep thought for the day. Thanks for listening...er...reading.

Dracula766
08-15-2007, 06:11 PM
wow

Chescat
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Over the last two years that I've been on VMK, I have seen this many times. We've been through a lot of life and death situations with family members and vmk people's situations. We help people in VMK and here on Intercot.

Hey when you think about it, what do some of us do most of the time. We complain about what happened during or day. Our bull sessions nightly in VMK are normally our therapy sessions to get our daily stress out.

I think our scariest moment was when we thought Fan was in danger and could have lost him. The hurricane had gone through were he lived and we were hoping from any word from him. After a few days he got a cell phone AIM message to us just saying "fine, house is fine" and line went dead. We were so relieved. Took him a while to get back, but we were all worried sick. :(

princessjojo
08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Though I don't know too much about any of the others here, I am always touched by moments like those you have just created. It speaks volumes about your character and your choices you make as a person. There are so many times where the things we choose to do may seem trivial to us, but to others, it could be an actual turning point in their lives.

Good for you. You are truly a great person and will in someway be rewarded for your kindness.

Tink's Mom
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
It is so sad that someone that age, with so much to offer, can feel so lost inside that they feel there is no way out but to end their life. I am so happy that you made a difference for her.

chrisb26
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I do have to agree that it is terrible that somebody so young would think that was the only way to go. Although I think its great that people like you are able to help others like that even if you don't realize it at times. So often people ignore others with out realizing what just talking to them could do. VMK really is an escape for people I'm sure with so manyh terrible things in this world people can go on VMK and be whoever they want to be and have a simple escape from the world.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
08-16-2007, 12:28 AM
That is a very moving story Dragon. Thanks for sharing BTW. :mickey: Sometimes I read articles on the newspaper about how kids shouldn't spend time on the computer talking to other people they don't know, because it's unsafe and you don't know the person as well as you know your friends/family. But really I think you guys on VMK (and Intercot) are just as important to me as my friends outside of VMK. I love you all! :rocks: :hug:

OhGee
08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you for sharing that Dragon. We all have to remember that what we do or say can affect someone else's life, even if we don't know it.

I truly believe that was the reason for you to visit that friend.