PDA

View Full Version : Sushi , How many out there like it ?

gueli
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Seeing a post about steak houses, brought this question to mind- How many of you out there like sushi and where have you had your best sushi meal ?

I know there will be many who do not like it- but for those of us who do- please limit negitive comments to specific places/meals that you did not enjoy (hey another thread...)

January-2007
08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
DH and I both like sushi. I've had weird (different) kinds at restaurants a few times, but most of the sushi we've eaten was just from the fresh counter at the grocery store. I love avacado rolls. We don't really do the whole raw fish thing. I've had eel sushi though, among others.

Mufasa
08-15-2007, 05:33 PM
The most memorable and best sushi/sashimi experience I've ever had was simply walking through the Tsukiji central market in Tokyo at the crack of dawn (nothing like sushi for breakfast) and stopping at a few of the very small sushi stalls in and around the market like Sushi Maru and Daiwazushi.

Simply put the freshest fish imaginable and very, very affordable for what I always remember as the finest O-toro I've ever had. At the time it was probably about $16 for a chef's selection of 8 pieces of very fresh nigiri, a maki roll and some miso soup.

The thing about a lot of sushi here in the US- a lot of places might sell Tuna for example as "sushi-grade" but to me it's more of a marketing thing and chances are it's been fish that was gassed with carbon monoxide to preserve that bright red color, but you immediately know it isn't quite right based on the texture of the fish and the real skill is all in the preparation of the rice.

What I also remember about what was great about my experience with sushi in Tokyo was that each individual piece of sushi was presented one at a time- so it came directly from the sushi chef's hands and there was a delicate balance between the seasoning of the sushi rice and the fish and the presentation of each piece was a well thought out progression of flavors.

SBETigg
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
I love sushi! My best sushi meal was at a little Japanese place in Williamsburg (Brooklyn) but we also have two amazing sushi restaurants in my hometown. My son also loves it. My daughter and husband, not so much. I would love to have it in Tokyo, Mufasa. I'm sure that can't be beat.

Dracula766
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
The thing about a lot of sushi here in the US- a lot of places might sell Tuna for example as "sushi-grade" but to me it's more of a marketing thing and chances are it's been fish that was gassed with carbon monoxide to preserve that bright red color, but you immediately know it isn't quite right based on the texture of the fish and the real skill is all in the preparation of the rice.

I've often wondered about that. Almost every chinese buffet in the ares has started serving "sushi" and there are little sushi shops scattered around town. There is no way that these places can be serving high quality ingredients and true sushi grade fish and only charge like $7 for a meal.

hoop de do
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm an "eel" man - love it. :thumbsup::beer:

IC10
08-15-2007, 06:11 PM
My DD turned 12 yesterday and this was her choice for dinner. We have a great new restaurant here and the sushi chef kept giving us extra. We all love it!! That reminds me she wanted it in WDW off to check out the menu's. :mickey:

brewcrew26
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I love sushi! I try to go at least once a week for lunch.

The best sushi I've had is in Boston's Chinatown when I lived there. I can't remember the place though. In Milwaukee, my vote is for either Fujiyama or Kou You.

I'm a big fan of the spicy salmon rolls and the maki tuna. I also really like some of the veggie sushi like the avocado, sweet potato, etc.

Great, now I want sushi for dinner......

p.s. How is the sushi at Epcot's Japan pavilion?? I want to try it when I'm there in the spring...

tadshome
08-15-2007, 06:43 PM
No sushi for me, tried it once and it made me:sick:

Clotho
08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
What a perfect place to answer this question, since I discovered a love for sushi...in the Kingdom!

I never liked sushi. I wanted to--everyone I knew liked it, but I just couldn't get into it. Then 3 years ago we went to WDW, and had dinner one night at Teppenyaki. MY husband ordered a California Roll, and as he often does when he gets sushi, invited me to try it. I decided to....and finished half of his roll (don't worry, I shared my dinner with him, too ;)

After that, I CRAVED sushi, every week, for a year at least. We found some great sushi places in Seattle (my favorite is Wasabi Bistro on 2nd Ave downtown), and now I love it.

I have moved on from just California Rolls, of course, though I still love them (having already been a crab lover). There are a couple other specialty rolls I like, but I am also enjoying nagiri, particularly salmon. I still am not into tuna, though, which is very popular of course.

Living in Seattle, I am lucky. We have a large Japanese American population, and access to amazing fresh fish!

disneyboy98
08-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I love sushi and I owe it all to the The Land at Epcot. That was where I first tried it and really started to like it.

The best sushi that I have had is from Tiger Sushi at the Mall of America and from the Wolfgand Puck Cafe at DTD. Love that California Roll.

TINKERBELL_82
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
It's my favorite food!! As a matter of fact, it's what I had for lunch today.:D

I especially love Mexico Rolls and Volcano Rolls.

I've had the sushi in both the Land Pavilion and in Japan at Epcot, and both were pretty good!

Jared
08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
My cousin is the owner and chef at a Japanese restaurant in Great Barrington, Mass., called Bizen. I've been eating sushi most of my life and adore it.

Melanie
08-15-2007, 08:37 PM
My husband and oldest son love it! I like it. It's growing on me.

Jeff G
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
One of my favorite meals. We have a place here in Appleton, WI called Koreana which is known to a lot cf Sushi lovers who travel here all the way fron Chicago (3-4 hours away). Very fresh.

My family is not as much of a fan as I am so I go at lunch. For a lunch size Chef's selection it runs $12-15. I've had sushi in WDW and many other places and like it too but not as much as Koreana's.

Catwillow
08-15-2007, 11:38 PM
LOVE Sushi!!! LOVE Sashimi!!! My fave is Tako (octopus) with Ika (squid) and Maguro following close behind. About the only kind I don't particularly care for is eel. Sometimes I can eat it sometimes not. Makizushi rolls is my favorite with Uramaki rolls coming in second and Nigirizushi a close third.

The best place I ever had it was on Okianwa Japan in the street markets....very fresh...and so inexpensive!!

DVC2004
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Nope, just can't do it. My 8 year old loves it, though!

gueli
08-16-2007, 03:36 AM
This is very cool. I hoped to hear from people who travel internationaly- so thank you mufasa and catwillow.
There is an excellent place here on long island called Takara (its out in the hauppague area (I hope many of you try to guess the pronunciation)). There is also a place in Queens I have tried that is very good, but I cannot remember the name right now.
:mickey:
Please keep up the replies, I love to hear about good Sushi...
Thanks all
Gueli

NotaGeek
08-16-2007, 04:34 AM
I eat sushi no less than once a week, it's my favorite meal, and I am very picky about it! Oddly enough there is a very very good sushi restaurant here in Phoenix called Sakana Sushi, and for the basic meal it's wonderful.

The BEST sushi I have ever had is at the California Grill at WDW's Contemporary Resort. Seriously, if you visit, order sushi for an appetizer.

Another amazing sushi experience for me was in Honolulu at a little back alley sushi bar off Waikiki beach. I have no idea what the name of the place was and there were only about 12 seats, I just sat at the sushi bar and let the chef do his magic. Amazing!

JanetMegan
08-16-2007, 08:13 AM
One of my favorite meals. We have a place here in Appleton, WI called Koreana which is known to a lot cf Sushi lovers who travel here all the way fron Chicago (3-4 hours away). Very fresh.

My family is not as much of a fan as I am so I go at lunch. For a lunch size Chef's selection it runs $12-15. I've had sushi in WDW and many other places and like it too but not as much as Koreana's.

I'm going to be in Appleton in early October, could you PM me with an address or location so I can try this place and do you know if it is open for lunch? Ok duh just re-read your post!

I love sushi, coming from someone who used to be very picky I love it! I like a volcano roll ;) My personal fave!

ldn324
08-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I love sushi. Not everything though - tried octopus once and didn't like it at all. Give me anything with tuna though....YUMMY. I could eat it any time. Although not technically sushi, a local Japanese restaurant makes an out of this world tuna tataki - it's just to die for. Lightly seared, sliced thinly and served with ponzu sauce and that grated oniony stuff - I don't know what it is, but it's delicious.

Hmm, wonder what time that restaurant opens today for lunch....:blush:

brewcrew26
08-16-2007, 10:38 AM

I'll have to try that the next time I'm up near Appleton. Sounds great!!

BlueDorrie
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I love sushi! I would eat it for dinner every night if I could afford it. I hope I can go to Japan and experience a sushi dinner there.

mttafire
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
IMHO, sea food is BAD enough..Let alone RAW seafood.....:ack: I'll stick with Taco's;)

Ian
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
I'll eat it. "Liking" it may be a bit strong, but if I'm in a social setting I can eat it.

Now tuna, on the other hand ... I love my tuna. In fact, the tuna at Chefs De France is my favorite meal in all of WDW!!

Clotho
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Now tuna, on the other hand ... I love my tuna. In fact, the tuna at Chefs De France is my favorite meal in all of WDW!!

Well, sushi tuna, raw tuna, is way different than, say, a grilled ahi. I like grilled tuna. I don't like tuna nagiri.

DisneyCouture
08-16-2007, 06:23 PM
My DH & I love it, we've gone to several restaurants locally. The Japanese pavillion in Epcot has good sushi too! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Sushi.... love, love, love it. DH and I don't get out to dinner that often (well, once a month) and we almost always go to our favorite sushi restaurant -- Higashi Sushi in South Windsor, CT. The Red Dragon roll is our favorite.

TikiG

PirateLover
08-17-2007, 12:26 AM
IMHO, sea food is BAD enough..Let alone RAW seafood.....:ack:

I'm with ya on this.. I can't do seafood. I was forced to try sushi once and it was terrible... granted this was vegetarian sushi from a supermarket purchased 2 days beforehand... but yuck!

RAIDER
08-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I love sushi :cloud9: