PDA

View Full Version : AKL Tips?

ldn324
08-15-2007, 03:53 PM
We finally booked the remainder of our Nov/Dec trip. First 1/2 is on our DVC membership at OKW and second 1/2 is at AKL, king, savannah view. We'll be at AKL from 12/1-12/5. :thumbsup:

We've only ever visited AKL to eat at Boma so we've never really explored the entire resort. Anyone have any tips - must see/do, pool, laundry, sightseeing tips??

We're tentatively planning on staying out of the parks on that Saturday and just checking out the resort so any tips are welcome.

Thanks!!

TexasPrincessAurora
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
We stayed on the Arusha Savannah, because DS3 loves zebras. The animals are wonderful...it's very relaxing to sit on the balcony and just animal watch.

The pool is really neat, very refreshing. If you have younger kids there is a neat playground on the backside of the pool.

We stayed concierge and took advantage of the sunrise safari...what an experience!

NJDad
08-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Tips:

Try the night vision goggle view of the animals (a CM lets you look through them after dark).

The halls are thin on every floor. The second/main floor halls can be awfully packed. Take the hall on the bottom floor and use the stairs to the lobby if you're running into heavily traveled corridors.

thejens
08-15-2007, 10:10 PM
I LOVE the AKL. If you have children ask about the kids activities (tracing fossils on the floor etc.) I love just taking the time to look at all the art work in the lobby. There is a very relaxing jacuzzi near the pool, but it is hidden in the landscaping, very nice to enjoy a drink and a soak. There are many viewing areas in the halls and near the pool. All the restaurants are good, even Mara is a superior counter service. I loved Boma for dinner and for breakfast. There is a bonfire talk or something in the late afternoon. I never feel like I have enough time here. Have Fun!

DreamFinder2
08-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with the previous posters. We stayed there several years ago and loved it. I'd go back in a minute, but my DW likes trying a new resort each time!

The last time we were at AKL, one of the best experiences was getting a glass of wine at the Victoria Falls lounge. It overlooks Boma and is a great place to sit and take in the atmosphere...try it!

brewcrew26
08-18-2007, 12:52 PM
I read somewhere that they do a culinary tour at AKL. Is this true? When is it, how much, what does it include?

We're going in April so I'd be really interested to do that on one of our "free days". :mickey:

Lightnin McQueen
09-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Hi,

We stayed at AKL last year and WOW what a hotel. The moment you step into the lobby you will be transported to another world. It's like being in Africa, a trip inside a trip. Great choice :thumbsup:

First tip is call CRO and request an Arusha savanna view which is the central savanna. There are 3 savanna's in total. You get to see more animals, especially at feeding times in Arusha which we thought was fantastic. We also requested 3rd block in, 3rd floor and got it. It's not too far from the lobby but far enough away to be a quiet room. 3rd floor provides a great view of the Savanna, again not too high but with far reaching views. We had room 3425 if that helps.

Tip No. 2, The hidden Mickey hunt is great fun and it's mind boggling to think that in this huge hotel, Disney architects and designers paid so much attention to detail. Take time out in the hotel and soak up the architecture and atmosphere, it's truly amazing.

Tip 3, There are some great places to sit and relax. We found a wonderful place on the Lobby floor toward the Mask at the rear to the left.

Tip 4, Speak to the CM's. There are many African CM's who are more than happy to tell you all about their country and the animals at AKL. We made some wonderful friends.

TIP 5, Story telling by the fire pit is an opportunity for you to hear African CM's sharing stories of Africa which they themselves heard growing up. The stories are based on themes such as how a zebra got it stripes and so on.

Tip 5, On arrival purchase a refillable mug from Mara. This will cost $11.99 and you can have as many refills as you like. If you wake up early, go grab yourself and your family some drinks from Mara, come back to your room and sit on your balcony watching the sunrise and the animals having breakfast. At what other hotel can you do that??

We are staying at WL next August, I just hope it's as wonderful as AKL. I'm sure it will be.

Have a great trip :thumbsup: