PDA

View Full Version : Sympathy Card ettiquette

disneydrmr
08-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Got a question.. my co-worker's mother in law died.. I want to send a sympathy card. Do I send it addressed in his name? Or do I address it to his wife (I've only briefly met her twice)? Or could I address it to the family - example "The Doe Family"... just wondering since I really only know him, but it's his wife's mom... thanks for the help!

ldn324
08-15-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been in similar situations and I've always addressed the card either to "The Doe Family" or to "The Family of Jane Doe" (deceased person's name) and then if necessary a c/o for the address. I think either would be acceptable.

Alsok a side note - I work in the fund development department of a hospice and I find it quite helpful at times when individuals sending donations notify me of their relationship to the deceased. I'll pass this information along to the family since the next of kin may not know who "Sue Jones" is, but they would know if the donation came from "Sue Jones, Co-Worker of Jane Doe". Maybe when you sign the card, you want to indicate below your name "Co-Worker of John Doe" so they will know...just a thought.

Mickey'sGirl
08-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Personally, I would address the card to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe and family in this case, as it was the wife's mother who passed away.

MsMin
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Personally, I would address the card to Mr. and Mrs. John Doe and family in this case, as it was the wife's mother who passed away.

I agree, while they are both correct saying the John Doe Family is a little less personal than Mr. & Mrs. J.Doe and Family. The address is to whom the sympathy is sent and it seems more personal to mention her name especially since it was her mother. If you are real concerned about etiquette don't forget to spell out family and instead of fly;) I am sure they will appreciate your thoughtfulness regardless.