PDA

View Full Version : Contact Solution-over 3 oz-allowed in carryon??

sgdisney
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I hope someone has a quick answer for my question as final packing is now underway....
I was not able to find contact solution in a container 3 oz or smaller, but it seems I remember reading somewhere that you could take it in your carry on if over 3 oz as long as it was NOT in your qt zip lock bag and you declared it to security prior to going through.

Is this the case, or does it need to go into the checked luggage and we just hope we have no need for it until we reach our destination?

BronxTigger
08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Check TSA's website for the official policy.

They didn't have any contact solution in the travel bins? I think I saw some at Bed Bath and Beyond the other day in travel sizes.

robhink
08-14-2007, 09:55 PM
According to the TSA website, saline solution can be brought on in greater than 3 oz bottles as long as the following steps are followed:

1. Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
2. Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.

DisneyAddict62
08-14-2007, 11:37 PM
I got some at Walgreen's. They had a whole section of travel sized items.

faline
08-15-2007, 06:00 AM
I packed a larger sized bottle of saline in my checked luggage on our last trip. I now devote a small, checked bag to all my needed liquids and other forbidden carry-on items.

Additionally, you should be able to find the sample size saline bottles at any place that sells contact lenses.

vamaggie
08-15-2007, 08:10 AM
If you have time, check with your eye doctor/contact lense provider. Ours always seems to have sample bottles that they are happy to give us for traveling. Happy Packing and Happy Trip!!!

LauraF
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
If you've got a Container Store near you (or you want to order online) they have a whole series of spillproof bottles for airline carry-ons. They work really well - I just bought a couple more the other day.

IloveJack
08-15-2007, 11:24 AM
My saline company doesn't make a travel size smaller than 4 oz. now, so I just "pre-loaded" my contact case with solution for the night (in case my luggage was late/lost) and put my full-size bottle in my checked bag. Then I dropped the contact case in my 3-1-1 bag, and no one even gave it a second glance.

cjb121879
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
To the OP:

Rob got it right (I work for TSA). Contact (saline) solution is one of those items that can be larger than 3.4oz. What I would suggest you do is to take it out of your bag and place it in a bin along with your other items so that the x-ray operator and others can clearly see that it is contact solution.

BTW, you're from Charleston?! My aunt is a circuit court judge in Kanawha County. She and my uncle live in Cross Lanes! Small world:thumbsup:.

sgdisney
08-15-2007, 03:58 PM
To the OP:

Rob got it right (I work for TSA). Contact (saline) solution is one of those items that can be larger than 3.4oz. What I would suggest you do is to take it out of your bag and place it in a bin along with your other items so that the x-ray operator and others can clearly see that it is contact solution.

BTW, you're from Charleston?! My aunt is a circuit court judge in Kanawha County. She and my uncle live in Cross Lanes! Small world:thumbsup:.

Thanks for the information. Yes, it is a small world!

lovewalt
08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I called my eye doctor because they usually give me a sample whenever I have an eye exam.I offered to pay but they gave me a 3 oz bottle of contact solution for free.

DisneyKim22
08-15-2007, 09:56 PM
My 4 oz bottle of saline fits very well in my qt-sized plastic zip-lock bag. No one has ever questioned me. I've been through Chicago, Raleigh/Duram, Philadelphia, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Las Vegas and Atlanta this year with that bottle and never had anyone blink an eye. (I'm not bragging!!! - just giving you indications of what airports found it acceptable)

The 4 oz bottles are available at Target and Walmart and Walgreens from what I have seen. I don't think it gets questioned because it is still a small bottle and fits just fine in the zip-lock.