PDA

View Full Version : ID for Minor at Airport???

auntbaloo
08-14-2007, 01:39 PM
I may be taking my 13YO niece to WDW with us in October. For those who have traveled with minors before, will she need any kind of ID to board the plane? She may have a school ID (no picture) but I don't know if the airports ever ask for anything more from those under 18. We will be flying AirTran. Thanks for your input!

Dyanna
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
I would check to see if she has any of the following: school photo id, passport, birth certificate etc.

CanadianWDWFan
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
We always travel to WDW with passports. Sure we have to cross the border, but it is the one piece of government issued ID that no one can really question.

Birth certificates are a good second choice. I think that under 16 kids don't have to have photo ID.

gauvin4
08-14-2007, 02:55 PM
I have never been asked for Id for my kids. One time they asked the kids there names to make sure they matched the ones on the tickets but other than that nothing. That was about six months after Sept. 11th.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-14-2007, 03:09 PM
We have never been asked for ID for our three kids 10 and under.

Good thing, I never thought of that. ;)

cjb121879
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I work at an airport (for TSA) and I just completed a trip to Orlando in June with several children aged 5, 8, 12 and 14. Minor children are not required to produce ID. Just let the ticket agent and/or sky cap and the ticket checker (located at the entrance to the checkpoint queue) know how old she is.

No worries.;)

vamaggie
08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
We have never had to show ID for our kids when we fly but I always carry it. I used to take copies of birth certs (don't like to take passports if not needed) but we recently got them a state issued ID card (looks like a drivers license) that has a pic and all their vital info. You probably won't need it but I always feel better having some ID for them.

Also, I would suggst that you get your neice's parents to sign something giving you power to take her take her (across state lines) and to get medical care if needed. (again, just in case)

disneydaisy
08-14-2007, 04:50 PM
In my experience we have never needed identification for our daughter when travelling domestically. However, we generally do take ID just in case (passport). In the past when my husband and DD have met me on a business trip, I have also written a letter and given copies of information regarding the trip so that there were never any issues for him traveling with a small child. In your case, with a niece, I would definitely take her birth certificate, a letter from her parents including their contact numbers that indicates that you have permission to take her out-of-state and giving authorization to seek medical treatment in case of an emergency. In addition, take one of their medical cards and/or a copy in case of a medical emergency.

Carol
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
No ID is required under 18 years of age.

crazypoohbear
08-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Last August we did not need ID's for the kids
DS had just gotten his license so he showed it to everyone :D

auntbaloo
08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all of your advice. Things I never would have thought of....59 days and counting!