PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Wilderness Lodge info, please!

kdsjjb
08-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Hello all.

DW and I will be celebrating our 15th aniversary with our first trip to the World without our kids.:fireman: (flame proof suit)

We decided to splurge for the WL, and I want to know everything you can tell me. What should we do there, see there, or avoid there. Can we request a certain room, view or area, and if so, how do we request? I've read here to fax,not fax, call first or ask when you arrive.

Any insight would be greatly appriciated.

:rocks:

KylesMom
08-14-2007, 01:39 PM
WL is a fabulous resort - we celebrated our 16th Anniversary there this year!

I would certainly mark any of your requests on your reservation; i.e., King Bed, Celebrating Anniversary, etcetera. You will have the option of selecting Standard, Woods or Courtyard View with different pricing options - choose what is best for you and your budget, and reserve accordingly. Our first stay we had a Standard room, and they placed us on the 6th floor. We were able to watch Wishes from our balcony every evening. This year upon checkin, we were upgraded to a woods view overlooking DVC since they had overbooked standard view. I've never had the nerve required to request an upgrade, but it has magically happened for us several times during our visits to Disney World.

WL stopped accepting faxed room requests some time ago, so your best bet is to mention your requests upon booking.

The pool & hot tub area are awesome - make sure to enjoy. Although we've never been to Artist Point, it would make a magical place for your Anniversary Dinner. You could also rent a boat while at WL with your sweetie.

There are beautiful locations around the resort to simply walk and soak in the beauty of nature - take advantage of them and enjoy your spouse during this wonderful time! :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Click here (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/wildernesslodge/default.asp) for all of the Intercot low down on the WL.

SimbaandNalasMama
08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
we really love the ambiance of the lobby area. I absolutely love sitting by the fireplace. Hubby and I had a great time going up level after level around the lobby and finding alcoves and hidden sitting areas. there is one area, maybe on the 4th floor, with 2 rockers. we sat up there watching the sites, sipping wine, while waiting on our table. there is also a balcony of sorts off the 4th or 5th level looking over the pool, and one looking over the front of the resort too. we also had a nice time one afternoon resting our weary feet by the water in a lounger. we watched the water, the boats, the ducks, the birds. it was quite nice!! Enjoy!

kim1st
08-16-2007, 07:31 PM
We loved the WL when we stayed there in October. While we were there, there was ONLY boat service to MK (no bus) - and I am SOOOO glad! The boat ride over to MK is awesome, and the boat ride back is even better! We managed to catch a bit of Wishes on our way home on the boat twice.

We got the refillable mug at Roaring Forks, which was a good buy, but the food there wasn't fabulous - much better counter service in the parks.

SgtTigger
08-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Wilderness Lodge my favorite subject.....

Go to the 4th floor and go to the rear of the lodge. the over look is great from there... I love to go up there after dark and watch the lights of the boats as they head to Fort Wilderness..... You also so over look the creek falls and pool area....

Wander around. as said before go to the front of the lobby and find all the hidden spots....

See if you can find the over look of the front of the lodge..... 4th floor all the way to the left of the front of the lobby area.

Grab a rocker on the 4th floor and watch the people come into the lobby for the first time.

Don't forget to catch the Electric Water pageant at 9:35 on Bay Lake at the rear of the lodge by the beach.

If you wake up early head to the pool to catch the ducks swimming in the pool.....

Wander around the Mercantile (the shop) right off the lobby.

Don't forget every time you walk to the bus to ring the cow bells in front of Buttons and Bells arcade.......

Walk over to the Villas and visit the iron spike room. Great quiet place to hang out.

Just have a great time.......

:cop: :tigger:

grumpycajun
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Have a happy anniversary and definitely, DEFINITELY treat yourself to dinner (with the wine-flight if you enjoy good wine with dinner) at Artist Point. It is fabulous! Ask a CM to tell you where to find the "secret" nooks with big comfy couches and chairs that not many people seem to know about. We found them and there was no-one around but us.

garymacd
08-17-2007, 10:22 PM
We had our 26th anniversary at WL this past May. Our 25th was at FQ. Loved both. Can't decide which we like better: WL has great ambiance, FQ has beignets! Have to let you decide, but definitely bring that flameproof suit. We didn't, I barely got out of there with my life!!!:thedolls:

Crow
08-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Ill b there again in Sept.
besides the spots referred to above
i love Artist Pt. and u can walk to Ft Wilderness and enjoy Trails End buffet etc
the boat are a nice ride, theres a health club, the geyser....
im going to spend more time at the resort this trip

kdsjjb
08-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info, and thanks to Keven. We have our ADR's for Artist Point the night we arrive. (Got the last one)

We are really looking forward to this trip.

AuntiePeep
08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
First of all, happy anniversary! VWL is our home for DVC and since when is WDW for kids? Did I miss something? I've "rented" them on occasion, but don't believe they're required. In addition to all the great things others have recommended I would ask at check-in to be the Flag Family of the day during your stay. Children are not required for this and the views are spectacular...what a romantic way to start your WDW day. You may not get it but it doesn't hurt to try if you can fit it into your touring plans. Deb Wills site gives some great info on this. I would also recommend walking or renting a surrey bike and meandering over to Fort Wilderness. The path is quiet and peaceful and makes you feel a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the World. Whatever you do...enjoy!

SgtTigger
08-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I would also recommend walking or renting a surrey bike and meandering over to Fort Wilderness. The path is quiet and peaceful and makes you feel a million miles away from the hustle and bustle of the World. Whatever you do...enjoy!
Oh man that brings back some not so pleasant thoughts.... that surry bike liked to kill me... :funny:

Hey as Auntiepeep said.. you don't have to have kids to enjoy WDW.... We don't have kids but have brought our nieces on some trips. I do enjoy the kids but we do enjoy our time alone... Besides I am just a big kid as soon as I drive on property.......

Tigger&Stitch
09-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Saw this post, and had to respond. My husband and I honeymooned there last year. The first thing we did was go to the Spike Room at the DVC and played a game of Chinese Checkers (his first game ever!) We're going back next year for our 2nd year anniversary. :)

We loved the resort - it's gorgeous. Artist Point is definitely the place for a anniversary meal, and if you mentioned your anniversary at the time of your Vacation booking, the restaurant should give you paper menus with a sweet message on them. :)

Also, save some money by going to the Roaring Forks snacks for breakfast instead of Whispering Canyon.

Take some time and explore the resort. Definitely take the boat to and from Magic Kingdom, and rent a bicycle and ride to Fort Wilderness.

We didn't do the "Tour of the Lodge", but if you can fit it in your schedule, it sounds fun!

Oh, and if you decided to go for a "Woods" view, we highly recommend Room 4140 or rooms near it. You have a great little back way/shortcut to the bus path and pool, a great view of the DVC villas AND it's really quiet. Rooms on the other side of the hall are quite noisy.

Enjoy! And happy anniversary! :party: