PDA

View Full Version : AKL Honeymoon - April 2008

brewcrew26
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I had a few questions about AKL for our honeymoon. :bride: :groom:

This will be my first time at this resort (it's my fiance's first time at WDW since 1998). Can anyone tell me where are the best rooms to stay (we asked for a savannah view).

What are the king rooms like? I've read in some places that some of the rooms can be on the small size. What exactly does that mean? Like I've stayed a lot at POR, so the rooms are bigger than those, right?

What is the transportation like from AKL? I know its just the bus system. So, what are some tips on getting places. My fiance wanted to know if it would be quicker, for instance, to take a bus to Epcot and then the Monorail to Magic Kingdom.

What else can we expect for our stay? :mickey:

TammiMcMan
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
This will be my first time at this resort (it's my fiance's first time at WDW since 1998). Can anyone tell me where are the best rooms to stay (we asked for a savannah view).When you book a savannah view room, the choices are basically which one you'd like to overlook. You have a choice of Sunset, Arusha and Uzima. Sunset's rooms are fairly close to the lobby and it's more confined. Rooms on Arusha or Uzima can be a further walk, but those end rooms can be a bit quieter, especially for someone on their honeymoon.

What are the king rooms like? King bed rooms are the same size as the other standard rooms in the resort. There are two styles of rooms at the AKL, so maybe that's where there's some confusion. Deluxe savannah view rooms can come with a king bed and a day bed, plus they have more square footage. The standard savannah view king room has a king bed, 2 chairs and a table. Unfortunately, you can't guarantee a king bed in this resort. I would definitely recommend putting that as your first request on your reservation and also note that it is your honeymoon.

My fiance wanted to know if it would be quicker, for instance, to take a bus to Epcot and then the Monorail to Magic Kingdom.The AKL doesn't share their bus system with any other resorts, so it's definitely quicker to stay on the bus and not make connections.

What else can we expect for our stay?I'm not sure if they still offer it, but at one time private dining had a romance dinner package that you could purchase. It included dinner for 2 out on your own private balcony. That may be something you want to look into.

tyandskyesmom
08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
We love, love, love AKL!!!!!!

I just want to say that you will get a lot of opinions on which trail/savanna has the best viewing of animals but that would not be something I would sweat about. Check out the map...

Our first time there we stayed on Kudu Trail overlooking Sunset Savanna towards the end of the trail and we had tons and tons of animals...yes, we could see some fences (and believe me, I don't like paying for something and not feeling like I am getting what I paid for!) but it did not take away from our African experience. There were just always animals outside our balcony...different kinds and lots of them! It was in October.

The next time I had heard so many reports about Zebra Trail overlooking Arusha Rock being the best that when we arrived and we were put elsewhere I had the CM chage it and accepted a smoking room at the end of Zebra Trail just to get it and we hardly saw any animals the whole time. We were very disappointed. This was in November-December.

The last time we were there was in July. We booked a standard room and we were upgraded to a Savanna View. We were given Kudu Trail overlooking Sunset Savanna between Kudu and Ostrich Trails. Yes, we had a great view of the construction and a holding pen of some sort but we had tons of animals too! And lots of different kinds! The kids were so happy because they thought we were going to be looking at the parking lot!

So I guess what I am saying is not to worry too much about what trail or savanna to "live" on. More important may be what type of room you want (you mentioned a King room) and how far you want to walk...it really is a big place and those rooms at the end of the halls are a long haul after a long day at the parks!

The resort is beautiful, smells good, and is extremely relaxing...enjoy!

140 more days!!!

BigRedDad
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
We were there for our Honeymoon in 2001. They upgraded us free from parking lot view to 2nd Floor Savannah. It was a King room and very elegant. I want to say it had a jacuzzi tub, but can't recall (old age stinks). It was very enjoyable. Only downside that we had was slow bus transportation. When we were there, we did share a bus a few times with the All Stars. This may have had something to do with 9/11 and availability of transportation. It was not too bad though. They no longer share buses, so that should not be a concern.

Lightnin McQueen
09-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi,

I Think the first reply you had pretty much told you everything you needed to know.

Just to add to the transportation replies, we stayed at AKL last November and found the buses to be punctual and easy to use. They provide direct links to your destination so no resort sharing which after a day at the parks is what you want.

BOMA is a great place to eat. Try a dinner ADR, the soups are just delicious. I'm sure there'll be more on restaurants in the dining discussions board, check it out.

Most of all enjoy your honeymoon and your vacation. :)

EmmMOM2
09-10-2007, 07:05 AM
AKL has it's own buses and the system is VERY efficient. I never had to wait more then 5 or 10 min for a bus to arrive and always got on. I had 2 double beds in my room but did have the savannah view. It was nice to be able to see the animals outside my window, though it wasnt often that they would stay in one area long, could have been better. As far as room size i found them to be fine. No complaints here. It was me and my DH and DS