PDA

View Full Version : Hoop-dee-doo

piratelilostitch
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Hoop-dee-doo musical revue but I'm still debating on going to this event. It sounds like it's a blast but what if you don't like country music?? Hubby and I don't mind country but my three kids (14, 9 and 5) don't really like it at all. (especially the 14yrold!!!) That being said should we just avoid the show or is there enough "other" stuff going on that they would still enjoy it?:confused:

Maleficent's Dad
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
:welcome: To Intercot!

I'll admit total bias here - I love, and I mean LOVE, the HDDR.

Worth it, worth it, worth it!!!

Don't worry about the music - it's Vaudville style show with decent (not gourmet) food, unlimited beer & wine, and an hysterical show!

eam
08-14-2007, 11:11 AM
First of all, welcome to Intercot!!!

I have been going to the Hoop De Doo Revue since the mid 70's and have always enjoyed it (hence, going back). The only thing that I have noticed that has changed is the dessert. I am not a big Country Western fan, but I don't think of it as CW, it's just fun, and good entertainment. The excitement level is always high.
The food is good, nothing exotic, and lots of it. You can't leave hungry.
I have gone with my children at all ages as they were growing up and now my grandchildren and it has been enjoyed by all. I hope you will try going and enjoy it so much you willl go back as often as I have.
Have a great time whatever you do!!

ElenitaB
08-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Welcome to Intercot!

We NEVER listen to Country music (in fact, our car radio almost never strays from Radio Disney) but we really, really enjoyed HDD! It's a lot of fun!

As for your 14 yr old... can you really predict what a 14 yr old will like/dislike? It seems to vary with the median air temperature, moon phase, what color underwear they're wearing and what they ate for breakfast the day before! ;)

Goofeygal
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
The HDDR is the best show, and the food is awsome. You will love it!!!!

LibertyTreeGal
08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Until you mentioned Country Music, it never occurred to me that HDD had any -- which it doesn't, it's early Americana if anything (like Clementine, which is hilariously acted out). Go on you tube and type in Hoop Dee Doo and you can get a general idea of the silliness.

TheRustyScupper
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
1) Hoop-Dee-Do-Review is not Country music.
2) It is Country-Western or Western music.
3) Big, Huge, Monstrous, Stupendous difference.
4) Repeat, it is NOT Country music.

mainemajor
08-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I HATE country music, but I LOVE the Hoop dee doo:thumbsup: I do not even remember the music, just the vaudvillian style of fun and comedy. It's a fast paced show that keeps you on your toes and laughing all the time. Once it was near my DS's 13th birthday and we wanted to mention it to the CM's but he did not want any attention. As it turned out during the show one of the show girls sat right on his lap as they shined the spotlight on them. He was soooo embarased and we loved it so much.

Natazu
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
By saying you don't like country music, that means you still like it more than I do. No worries, Hoop-Dee-Doo is family fun with music that isn't nearly as annoying as one would expect.

BugeyedMuggy
08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
We go to the Hoop de Doo every time we go to WDW. Last trip we went with 5 & 8 year old and they loved it.

disneynarula
08-15-2007, 07:10 AM
I think I am in the minority here but I thought it was a waste of money. I thought the entretainment was a little annoying. As far as the food...It is a lot of money for fried chicken. I am not a big dinner show fan as it is. I would rather invest my money in either a really nice dinner or a really nice show (cirque de soliel). I think that when they have a dinner show you pay for the novelty and not the quality.

piratelilostitch
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the input! I now have a much better idea what the shows all about.

And thanks for the welcome. I've been reading your posts since last year to help with planning trips finally just had to join!

:thumbsup:

Vinny
08-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Welcome to Intercot!! I admit I am not a big fan of stage shows or musicals (and also not really a country music fan) but the HDDMR is well worth it, especially if you have not seen the show before. If your family enjoys slapstick comedy the music will not really be a factor because it is a part of the act. I have been twice and had a very good experience at both shows. The food is all very good and the strawberry short cake for desert is very delicious. It is not a show that we book for every trip though we usually do go every 2-3 trips to WDW.

jszczur5
08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
The music is not really country. I hate country music. It is old fashioned vaudeville, with many corny jokes. The entire evening is very enjoyable, and all that laughing helps burn off some of the food calories. Enjoy.
We thought it was well worth using 2 dining credits per person last year, and enjoyed it so much that it was the first ADR I booked for our upcoming trip.
12 days to go....16 days 'til our HDDR dinner show.