PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe or California Grill For dinner?

momef3grls
08-14-2007, 08:33 AM
We're going down in October and the kids are trying to pick some new choices in case Teppanaki Grill is closed. And can't decide. Has anyone eaten at either of these? And how was your experience?

Mickey'sGirl
08-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Both are great restaurants -- and I think most will say to go to California Grill. You would not be disappointed I am sure.

That said, Kona is my favourite WDW restaurant. It is casual and the food is awesome! All of us really enjoy it (me, DH, DS9 and DS3). I say go to Kona! :thumbsup:

SodaPopMGK
08-14-2007, 08:52 AM
My family ate at the Kona on our trip in April and loved it. Our waiter was excellent, always there when we needed something. The food is incredible, I'm not a huge beef eater but decided to try the prime rib and it was delicious. We've never eaten at CG so I can't comment. Have fun deciding and have a great trip!

SurferStitch
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
We've had dinner at Kona once, and it was very good (December 2006), but not in the league of CG. We decided to skip it this year, but we NEVER skip CG. That's one of our favorites (along with Narcoossee's and V&A), and we dine there every time we visit WDW.

mrsgaribaldi
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
California Grill is my all time favorite place to eat. I've celebrated several birthdays there, my own and Dh's. You won't be disappointed:thumbsup:

Rayadragon
08-14-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm going to have to vote for Kona's, but with the caveat that I've never eaten at CG, Kona's is one of my favorite places to eat at Disney. Also, although it's minor, it slightly bothers me that since the menu at CG changes more frequently than most of the restaraunts, you can't really look up what the menu's going to be. You can make guesses, but it's not exact. For someone like my brother, who's extremly picky, it's hard to take him anywhere new. There have been cases where he litterally won't eat anything on the menu. With Kona's, we can double check the menu ahead of time to make sure that he'll eat something there.

faline
08-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Both are wonderful restaurants but, if I had to choose between the two, I'd select California Grill - not only for the terrific food but also for the wonderful view!

Belle_0717
08-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I'd have to go Kona. The food is wonderful and the bread and butter is too die for - IMO. All the entrees we have tried were great. I love the corn and edamame succotash and Macadamia Mahi Mahi.

Leave room for dessert - Kilauea Torte:cloud9:

sillyolbear
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Just made ADR's at both this morning for our February trip. You really can't go wrong with either restaurant. California Grill has the view and thus a wow factor. Kona has really good food and we've had outstanding service.

Natazu
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Good news: There's no wrong answer here.
Kona is IMNSHO the best non-signature restaurant at Disney. Awesome food from start to finish and stellar service.

California grill is my favorite restaurant in the world, period, anywhere. I would eat there everyday if I could get my hands on enough cholesterol medicine.

Maleficent's Dad
08-15-2007, 07:35 AM
We've had dinner at Kona once, and it was very good (December 2006), but not in the league of CG.
How true.
Kona is a very good restaurant, but IMHO, nowhere close to CG. :mickey:

mickey-mouse35
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Both are wonderful, but my vote goes to Kona Cafe--it's our favorite. Cali Grill had great food and great view, but just a tad bit too stuffy for me. Kona was more laid back. :blush:

Crow
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
i had dinner at both in May.
CG was great & im going back next month
the sushi was the best, good choices of wine etc and great view
Kona was good too but the service and atmosphere was better at CG
Id eat at Kona again, but not next trip