PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Campgrounds full in December?

kjmom
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
The family was considering RV trip to WDW 12/8 thru 12/16. Talked to MJ and was told only spots left were for tents. I had no idea getting a RV spot would be this difficult. These dates are before the Christmas rush, or so I thought. Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

ibrowse17
08-13-2007, 08:50 PM
FW is very popular with RV'ers for Christmas. They plan almost a year ahead to get a site, which they decorate for the holiday. They will stay weeks at a time, and may arrive as early as Thanksgiving. It really is something to see:thumbsup:

kjmom
08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea that people did that. I may have to do that when I retire in 30 years! It sounds awesome to stay that long on WDW property, I'm jealous!:mickey:

Ed
08-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Another factor is the annual influx of the migratory species known as "Snowbirds" southward as soon as the first snowflakes threaten up North. :winter:

You'll also find that the other non-Disney campgrounds in the area are booked pretty solid beginning right around Thanksgiving and extending into March or April.

DebbieT11
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
:mickey: Hello! I'm new here... but wanted to let you know that I just made my ressies last month for December 11 - 17th. Called today and got the code applied to my ressies to save 10% too.... so keep calling. People are cancelling and rearranging their schedules like crazy because of the AP, Visa and GP codes that just came out.... give it another try or two!!

faline
08-17-2007, 05:02 AM
:mickey: Hello! I'm new here...

Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

DNS
08-29-2007, 05:44 PM
I just tried to do a price check on the Disney web site for in early December 2008 for a preferred site, but was only offered the option of a tent/pop-up site. I can't believe they would be filled almost a year and a half in advance.

Zakerdog
09-01-2007, 10:00 PM
We go for the first 2 weeks of December every year and always book it in Jan/Feb to get a preferred site. I use Magical Journeys so when AP or AAA rates come out my TA will always update my ressie for me. AAA rates usually are better that time of year than AP rates.

Tink's Friend
10-20-2007, 09:21 PM
The family was considering RV trip to WDW 12/8 thru 12/16. Talked to MJ and was told only spots left were for tents. Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

We just tried to get a campsite during December to see the Christmas decorations for a week or so. :sob: Here's what I found out in talking with Guest Relations and the reservation people:

At this point, the campground is booked completely full for every Friday and Saturday night in December. If you can check in on a Sunday and check out on a Thursday, you might be able to get 5 days during this time. Most weeks still have the weekdays open.

As someone else suggested, keep checking, as things can change from day to day. Also, keep in mind that people can cancel up to 6 days before the start of their reserved stay without penalty, so something might open up the week before. So, if you go ahead and book the Sunday through Thursday time, you can add on the extra days if something opens up.

Suzanne Q
Bristol, TN

Camping Mom
10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
It really is becoming harder and harder to book a site at Christmas time. We got ours in early February and asked for a preferred site. We were told they didn't have a site for the length of days we were staying and could put one 4 day reservation and another 4 day reservation together. Excuse me?? That is still 8 days and the length of our stay!! They wanted to charge me the pre-holiday rate for the first 4 day stay and the very expensive holiday rate the second 4 day reservation. I explained this made no sense and it was STILL an 8 day stay and we WERE coming in before the holiday price increase. It was very tough trying to get this hashed out and I'm not sure we didn't get charged the higher rate on the last 4 days.

I really don't know why it has to be 3 days here and 2 days here and why they can't say yes, we have 5 days. I know a lot has to do with being in preferred and they may not have spots available, but every site is almost booked a year in advance and no matter how early you think you book, sometimes FW is STILL full. For those of us on a budget, staying at FW is the only way we can do DW IS by staying in FW. If it is going to be booked so far in advance especially by snowbirders, then it takes people like us out of being able to go. I don't blame snowbirders...I would stay in the best campground in the USA at DW, too!! It is just very frustrating when you have to plan SOOO far in advance.:bang:

Thank you...I feel better after venting.