PDA

View Full Version : April 19-28, 2008, will it be CROWDED?

Donalds Duckie
08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
We were FINALLY able sync dates for a first ever DisneyWorld family vacation April 19-28, 2008. Has anyone been to WDW in late April? Is it going to be horribly crowded? What should we expect? What is the weather like that time of year?

We don't have much flexibility in dates so this is it, crowds or not. I emailed my Super Agent:cool: (Wendy at MJ) this afternoon to book two rooms at POP. We are very excited to finally visit WDW as a family and it will be my daughter-in-law's first ever trip to WDW:mickey:

Strmchsr
08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
No, it's not horribly crowded. There will be moderate crowds, and you may hit a grad night or two, but since Easter is much earlier the crowds won't be as bad.

As for the weather, click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp)to go to Info Central and you'll be able to check the exact weather for your dates for the last 4 years.

Donalds Duckie
08-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Strmchsr:mickey: Oh, fiddle-dee-dee. I forgot all about grad nights.:mad: Will that affect all parks or MK only? What time do they close the parks down for grad nights?

Would April 12-20, 2008 be better or do you think we should go May 17-25, 2008. These are our only options. The April dates were better for all of us and a bit less $$$ with the new 2008 pricing structure. I just dread emailing Wendy with new dates when I just emailed her today to book these dates.

It's my daughter-in-law's first ever trip to WDW. The kids' 5th wedding anniversary is Valentine's Day 2008 and this first-ever family trip is a Christmas/5th Anniversary gift to them so I am on a budget.

Ok, I'm going to take a deep breath and keep my faith....it will all work out.

SBETigg
08-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Most of the Northeast has their spring vacation during that week this year, as far as I can tell, so I would expect higher crowds than usual for that time of year. We usually have it off to coincide with Easter, but not this year with an early Easter. The good news for Easter vacationers is that the Easter week may be slightly less crowded. The bad news for you is that a lot of people could be taking their WDW trips when you plan to be there.

Donalds Duckie
08-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Wow, I thought Spring Breaks would be over by the last week in April. I guess I need to talk with the kids. Looks like we have to put it off until late May. At least I'll have another month to save for the extra cost.

Drat. Thanks for the input SBETigg.

SBETigg
08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Nancy Ann, I wouldn't move too fast to change. It may not be that bad. I just wanted to let you know that it may affect crowds. It may not be that big a crowd difference still because some will still follow tradition and go at Easter time. But it's a possibility for crowds. Sorry to say.

Donalds Duckie
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Nancy Ann, I wouldn't move too fast to change. It may not be that bad. I just wanted to let you know that it may affect crowds. It may not be that big a crowd difference still because some will still follow tradition and go at Easter time. But it's a possibility for crowds. Sorry to say.

Thanks so much for the follow-up SBETigg. My family is SO excited that we finally (after 5 years) had everyone at a place in our lives that we could make this trip together. Guess I'm a bit jumpy.:blush: I guess I just thought that Grad Nights and NE Spring Break might be a bit much.

When you say higher crowds than expected, are you talking summertime or Christmas/New Year week crowded?

We'll be adults only staying 9 nights/10 days so maybe we'll be fine. I think I'll leave things as they are for now and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Strmchsr
08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Grad Nights don't usually have a massive impact on the parks as far as you're concerned. The park just closes earlier and they have a special event that evening.

It definitely won't be Christmas week crowded. Maybe early summer, but I agree with Sherri that you're talking about moderate crowds, not super heavy crowds. WDW excels at moving large numbers of people through. With 9-10 days you should easily be able to do everything you want, regardless of crowds.

sillyolbear
08-13-2007, 09:32 AM
We've been, actually honeymooned, over this time period and the weather is great and crowds are as described by others.

We noticed that Grad nights impacted MK but really only later in the day. I wouldn't change a trip to avoid them.

SBETigg
08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Grad Nights don't usually have a massive impact on the parks as far as you're concerned. The park just closes earlier and they have a special event that evening.

It definitely won't be Christmas week crowded. Maybe early summer, but I agree with Sherri that you're talking about moderate crowds, not super heavy crowds. WDW excels at moving large numbers of people through. With 9-10 days you should easily be able to do everything you want, regardless of crowds.

Chris is wise. I would keep your plans and try not to worry. Yes, the Northeast has school breaks late, but it's only one region and not everyone will travel then. I'm sorry to have alarmed you. That time of year is up and down for crowds, but moderate crowds(maybe slightly higher than normal) not high crowds will probably be the case. It's exciting to plan a trip and good to be informed, but I think we can be a little too informed for our own good here sometimes. Have a great time!

TikiGoddess
08-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Donalds Duckie,

I sent you a PM with some info that might help...

TikiG

playdead88
08-14-2007, 06:28 AM
we went that week last year and we are going that week in 08! it wasn't that crowded - our longest wait was for soarin' but i think thats anytime - the weather was wonderful - also we live in richmond va and our spring break here is easter week so it seems only a small portion of the east coast will be having a spring break so late - have a great vacation!! :mickey:

pogo
08-14-2007, 07:24 AM
We always go during the week of April 20th to celebrate our anniversary and the crowds are very managable. :thumbsup:

One very nice bonus..... we've never experienced a drop of rain. :cloud9:

I think you'd be crazy to change. :mickey: Good luck with your decision and happy planning. :D

brewcrew26
08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Glad I clicked in here. Lots of great info on the weather and crowds!

When do grad nights typically start? We're going down for our honeymoon from April 12-19.

I'm not too worried about crowds. I actually like it a bit more when there's people. The waits sometimes add to the experience and people watching.

Donalds Duckie
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks so much for all of your information:mickey:

I had my Super Agent:cool: (Wendy at MJ) book our rooms at Pop yesterday for April 19-28, 2008 as planned! Super Agent:cool: has such a great sense of humor and always puts me back on an even keel. LOL, she pointed out to me that, although 3-4 states will have Spring Break, not everyone in the entire 4 state region will be heading to WDW that week. HA! How silly am I?:blush:

I don't think it's going to be too crowded for us. And, after all, the most important part is that we'll be together as a family at the Happiest Place on Earth. And, Pop is going to be a FUN resort in a group.

Thanks again everyone! Intercot really does ROCK!:rocks:

Donalds Duckie
08-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Donalds Duckie,

I sent you a PM with some info that might help...

TikiG

Thanks TikiG! I got it and replied. Great information, helped me know I made a good decision.

Beast_fanatic
08-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Glad I clicked in here. Lots of great info on the weather and crowds!

When do grad nights typically start? We're going down for our honeymoon from April 12-19.

I'm not too worried about crowds. I actually like it a bit more when there's people. The waits sometimes add to the experience and people watching.

Congrats on your honeymoon!

Grad nights for 2008 are scheduled for April 18, 19, 25, and 26.

Bringonthemouse!
08-15-2007, 09:05 AM
We went in 2006 Ap. 21-29 and didn't find it to be busy at all, and Easter was late in the month that year. And grad. nights were definately not a factor. The only high school kids we noticed were 3 boys in line behind us to visit with Mickey and they were very well behaved. The weather was great, only a few drops of rain but they went as fast as they came. There was only one day of extreme heat (keep in mind I live in Canada so it probably wasn't as hot as it seemed;))
:twocents:I think you should keep your original dates, we are planning another trip for this time of year in '09. We loved it!

Donalds Duckie
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks Bring on the Mouse:mickey: I am happier every day that I kept with our original dates. I think it's going to be a lovely trip.

My only concern with grad night was that Disney shut all the parks down at 7 p.m. But, if it's just MK we'll hit other parks for the evening hours. It will be my daughter-in-law's first ever trip to WDW so I want her to see as much as she can.

Thanks again!

pixiesmimi
08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
We've been in April and we have been during Easter. It wasn't even bad at Easter, like we thought it might be. The weather was beautiful but we did get a shower or two. You can never tell in this part of the country. It could be a cool April or a warm one. Be prepared. Our Spring break in AL is later this year and will be in April also (used to be in March). But most of the kids go to the beaches so I don't think you will have that much of a problem with crowds. We have never been to WDW when the crowds were unmanagable but we haven't been at Christmas either. :) The later in the summer you get (like May or June) the hotter it will be and more chances of rain. I would keep the dates you have.