PDA

View Full Version : Ground Transportation Dilemma

Mary Chase
08-12-2007, 11:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation as I do and wanted tips on the best way to handle (and cheapest).

We are flying into Orlando in late November. We have 2 kids - age 5 and 11 months. I thought we'd be okay renting a mid-size car, but a friend of mine reminded me that with everything we have to transport (full size stroller, luggage, etc.) we probably would have trouble with mid-size and would need a mini-van or SUV. I don't really like the idea of spending several hundred dollars on that. We are also staying on property, so we have the option of Magical Express. However, we do like to have our own car just for the convenience. I thought about doing magical express and getting a rental at DTD (I thought I heard you could get rentals there). For just getting around town, I think mid-size would be fine - it's just the to and from the airport that is a problem. Has anyone ever done that?

Any tips/suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated!! Anyone ever get a really good rate on a rental car (mini van/SUV)and if so, how? Thanks!:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
08-12-2007, 12:54 PM
We had a similar dilemma on our last trip down in April. My suggestion is to use DME to and from the airport and rent a car if you need it for off site excursions. We had the car and we paid for it to sit in the parking lot. You can get a rental from the Alamo dealer right by the MK 'toll' booths. They are a little pricier but they will pick up and drop you off from your resort. Also the cost of a shuttle-type cab for off site trips-they tended to be $50 round trip (that we found) to most off site destinations. The car was about $80 a day. AAA and other cards offer good deals, as does the Alamo website deals(we had a great website deal), if you decide you like the car option. For a mid size, we had an HHR ( like a 4 dr bigger PT cruiser and then a 4dr PT cruiser). Lotsa room. Next time we go down, we are only renting the car for a day to go to Kennedy Space Centre.
Hope this helps ~ good luck!:)

BelleBeauty
08-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Two suggestions:

First, my family stayed offsite quite a few years ago. There were five of us, children 14, 11 and 8. We had quite a bit of luggage (though no stroller), and my father was able manuver it all into a Chevy Malibu.

Second, I would suggest that one of you go with one or both of the kids and the luggage to the resort on DME. The other shoudld pick up the rental car at the airport and drive to the resort, taking one of the children if you can. You can do the same thing when you return to the airport on DME. This way you don't have to worry about transporting all of the luggage, have the ease of getting the car at the airport, etc.

TikiGoddess
08-12-2007, 01:25 PM
We've done what you're contemplating... traveled with two little ones (last summer at 3.5 and 18 mos). We rented a mid size car and did fine packing in our suitcases, double stroller, and all the things kids need. I was worried like you but it all fit. You can look on the car rental websites and they usually have a guide as to how many bags you can fit in the car.

Maybe you could try it out at home? Try packing your regular car with your suitcases and stroller and see if they fit...

I'm with you, I like having the convenience of a car onsite. It makes going to visit other resorts, DTD, and offsite so much easier.

TikiG

TikiGoddess
08-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Two suggestions:

Second, I would suggest that one of you go with one or both of the kids and the luggage to the resort on DME. The other should pick up the rental car at the airport and drive to the resort, taking one of the children if you can. You can do the same thing when you return to the airport on DME. This way you don't have to worry about transporting all of the luggage, have the ease of getting the car at the airport, etc.

Ooh, I like this idea! This way you have a plan just in case you all can't fit (although I think you will be fine, unless you pack the kitchen sink...) :D

TikiG

Mary Chase
08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Ooh, I like this idea! This way you have a plan just in case you all can't fit (although I think you will be fine, unless you pack the kitchen sink...) :D

TikiG

Thanks for your opinions! I too think that maybe we could to the split up and one take one child on DME and the other could get the rental car. That's a great idea!!! I'll see what the husband thinks of that. The thing is, I'm a pretty heavy packer and I do pretty much pack everything including the kitchen sink! My husband thinks we can get it all in a full size car. We may try to see what we can pack in a full size - we could be surprised. :mickey:

CleveRocks
08-12-2007, 09:38 PM
If you are flying on one of the "participating airlines," you can check your luggage at your resort for the trip home. It's a service called Resort Airline Check-in. Think of it as curbside check-in, only it's in your resort lobby rather than at the airport. It's exactly like curbside ... you check in for your flight, get your boarding passes, and check-in your luggage that you won't have access to and won't see again until it's on your home airport's baggage claim carousel.

You can use RAC whether or not you are riding a DME bus back to the airport. RAC is a separate (but related) service from DME.

The RAC desk in each WDW owned-and-operated resort is open from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00p.m., and you can't use it any later than 3 hours prior to your scheduled flight time. It is only for domestic flights, not international flights.

Doing this would relieve your luggage burden for the trip back to the airport.

The "participating airlines" are AirTran, Alaska, American, Continental, Delta, jetBlue, Northwest, and United/TED. If your airline is NOT on this list, then you are ineligible to use RAC.