PDA

View Full Version : Is it REALLY that cool?

Bringonthemouse!
08-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I am wondering if cool/cold actually means pants, sweaters and jackets, hats and mitts for us. We can get by on windbreakers and pants in 40 degree weather as we are used to these temperatures up here in the "Great White North". I have a really hard time imagining that we will need winter gear for our trip to WDW Dec. 6th to 17th.
Any other Northerner's care to chime in, I am really afraid I will over-pack the wrong items ie. too many pants/sweaters, not enough capri's/shorts and T's. We do plan to layer, but how much layering is neccessary?
HELP!:blush:

NLODisney
08-12-2007, 10:31 AM
I have gone in Jan and Feb and while it can be cool in the 40's and 50's it's always been tolerable for me. I take a fleece and small stretchy mittens and don't usually need them. I usually am able to wear shorts and if
I need to a sweatshirt. It's a nice break from the cold we have then in NH. I have been really lucky and I have had temp's in the 70's and 80's. Any temperature above 50 is a treat in the winter months for us.

SurferStitch
08-12-2007, 10:44 AM
We'll be there the exact same time as you!!

We were there last December (7-18), and there was only one night (our second night), that we needed a jacket. It was around 45-50 and breezy, but not unbearable. After that it warmed up VERY nicely throughout our trip.

I wore a lot of capris and shorts, and just wore a light hoodie in the mornings. Most nights we went to resort dinners, so I was always dressed up.

Thing is, you never know what the weather will be like, but chances are, one light to medium weight jacket will get you through any cold snaps, and warmer-weather clothing will be the norm for daytime wear. I definitely wore more capris/shorts/tanks than I did jeans and jackets. Light sweatshirts or hoodies were a must for me up until lunchtime or so, but after that it got warm and pleasant.

Trev&Ev Mom
08-12-2007, 10:46 AM
We've gone in mid January the past 2 years and it is chilly in the morning (hi 40's, low 50's). I bring capris and a fleece or sweatshirt for the am. By mid day, I shed the fleece for my short sleeve tee shirt and I am comfortable. Then after the sun goes down, the fleece goes back on. I think its a very refreshing, not sweaty, time of year to go!! Bring your bathing suits because the pools are heated. Just make sure you run back to your room because the air temp is cold!!! Have fun!!

ibrowse17
08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
For the first couple of days of our last trip in Feb, it was bitter cold. Along with everyone else, we were buying sweatshirts and jackets to bundle up in. The last few days of that week became much warmer, so be ready for any type of weather:thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
08-12-2007, 11:04 AM
We were there in 05 in December and I didn't think it was cold. In fact my son's were swimming!
Because you come from "god's country" and know what cold really is :D then you'll be fine with a sweatshirt/windbreaker and if your hands get cold easily then some of the $1.00 stretchy gloves.
Don't worry too much about the "cold" they are talking florida cold not "real cold" where you will get frost bite and lose a finger if you stay out more than 10 minutes :blush:

dinahvixen
08-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I grew up in Florida and there were many Christmas breaks we spent at the beach and I remember hanging the Christmas lights in my shorts. Only once do I remember going to MK and being actually 'cold', but I was a Floridian, then. Now, as someone who lives in Ohio (I can't bring myself to own being an Ohioan - I am a misplaced Floridian), I would pack shorts and a sweatshirt or light jacket. Maybe jeans.

BronxTigger
08-12-2007, 11:48 AM
My family went in mid-December 2000 and it got below freezing. I met my parents down there (I was living in Denver for college, they live in Washington State) and they were there a few days before me. They said the weather had been in the 80s when they first got there, and by the end of the week when we all left, they were having record lows. They had to replace some of the plants because they froze overnight; I remember wearing heavy winter coats around the parks because the temperature was in the 30s.

chick20679
08-12-2007, 02:01 PM
We always used to go in Jan/Feb, so maybe that's a bit cooler than Dec, but we almost always need at least a jacket and preferably jeans (or at least capri's). The coolness we run into is sitting waiting for the fireworks at nighttime. The mornings can be a little brisk, but you're really walking around/moving so you're a little warmer.
It's funny, we have a pic that a passer-by offered to take for us, it's me, mom and sis - our legs wrapped in our emergency ponchos waiting for Illuminations. We all had shorts on since it was so nice during the day, and we hadn't gone back to the room.
And we're from Maine so supposedly we should be 'used to' the cold.
If I were you I'd bring a fleece jacket and a least one pair of jeans, that way, if it seems like it will be a cool night, you'll be prepared.

DizneyRox
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Remember, when it's 60 in Florida, that's sweater weather for the locals. For me, that's shorts and t-shirts. It can be very cold around the holidays. In 1999 it went from close to 30s around Xmas Eve to 80'2 around NYE. QUite a swing, which means you need to pack for any weather that time of year.

The do sell sweatshirts in the gift shops, and Norway has some great winter coats, but buying a wardrobe in Disney gets to be expensive.

TammiMcMan
08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Even coming from the north (we're from Boston), you should be prepared for everything. It's not unusual to be swimming or in capri's during the daytime hours, but it can be pretty cold in the morning and evening. We've been in December when the average daytime temps are in the 80's and we've been there during cold fronts that have temps below freezing. Layering is definitely a great idea, so you can probably leave any heavy winter jackets at home. I would highly recommend throwing in a pair of mittens though, especially if you plan on any night time activities.

lindique
08-12-2007, 04:04 PM
The problem is basically at night. The sun goes down around 5:30 PM, and the temperature drops about 20 degrees F. If you are standing around waiting for the parade or fireworks, it could feel pretty cold - much colder than the same temperature feels while standing in the sun during the daytime. I'm from the North too - and during the day, anything above freezing feels good to me. However, there is usually 1 or 2 nights during my December vacation when I need the winter jacket, hat, and gloves. Since I need a ski jacket and gloves to get to and from the airport, they are with me on the trip anyway, so it's not a problem. Most nights all you will need is a sweatshirt and/or a windbreaker - but you never know what Mother Nature will bring!! I bring jeans and short sleeve shirts mostly - it's usually not warm enough that you'll be uncomfortable in pants.:mickey:

faline
08-12-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm from Massachusetts so I'm no stranger to cold weather.

December weather in Orlando can be quite unpredictable. We've gone a number of times in December. Most of the time, we've had extremely pleasant weather - often into the 80's and have even spent the entire day at the pool. Some trips, we've worn shorts and tees the entire trip and never once put on a pair of the long pants we brought with us. On at least one trip, we were in light jackets and long pants for the first several days of our trip before it warmed up.

Then...there was our last December trip which was in 2004. That trip was downright cold! On the night we went to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, I wore long pants over stockings and socks. Additionally, I wore a camisole, covered by a turtle neck, covered by another long sleeve shirt and topped with a winter weight cold. It was still mightly chilly despite all the layers! So, yes, it is possible to get that cold in Florida in Decmeber.

Marilyn Michetti
08-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Might depend on where you're from. I was raised in Ohio, and raised a family in Pa. For the last 14 years, Grampa and I have been in Az. where it's warm and dry. We go in Dec., and sometimes it feels like the Arctic.:freeze:

Gotta Love the TTA
08-12-2007, 06:38 PM
No one can predict what the weather will be ANYWHERE on December 6. In Kansas, we've had December days in the 60's and also in the low teens. (That's why they call weather "unpredictable.")

And what is winter coat and mitten weather to me might well be shorts and a hoodie weather for you.

Your absolute BEST bet is to go to weather.com or another weather site, (every internet provider's home page has a weather link) and look at the forecast for your trip.

Look up zip code 32830. Then you will have an idea of what you're getting into--and what to pack.

DisneyDudet
08-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Remember, Florida feels colder than it usually is. The air is "wetter" than up in the north, so it might be in the 40's at night, but it surely feels colder!

disneynarula
08-13-2007, 08:42 PM
If you are used to cold weather a pair of long pants and a fleece should do it for you.

Of course my first day on the College Program it was 32 degrees. I had on a hat and gloves and was really wishing I had my winter coat.

You just never know.

Laura670
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
My family was in Disney in Dec 05 and my daughter was swimming it was in the 80's. We were also there this past Jan the 5-12 and it was HOT I talked to several cast memebers and they said the weather was unusual for that time of year. Any way we are going back this Dec 8-16 and hoping for nice weather. One thing I did notice about going in Dec we did get a few days of rain.1 day it downpoured. my sister went this past Dec and she said the same thing a few days of rain with 1 day with it just down poured.........remember your ponchos Hope you have a great trip:mickey:

BigRedDad
08-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Temperatures are relative. What seems cold to someone may not be to you. For me, my legs rarely get cold. I would wear shorts and a sweatshirt if it was in the 40s. Others would be wearing long john's, jeans long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, jacket and parka in the same weather.

If I were going in Dec, I would bring one or two pairs of jeans, a few sweatshirts, and that is all. If it got too cold for that, just gives me a reason to buy something there.

JWB3
08-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Our past several trips down were in Jan. or Feb. Getting on the plane in upstate NY the temps were often in the single digits, rising by as much as 70 degrees on arrival. For the most part we found mornings and evenings a little cooler with nice warm days in between (remember, we're coming from upstate NY!)

We would wear a long sleeve shirt, fleece and light windbreaker on the plane and remove layers upon arrival. This allows for a variety of combos for the possibility of cooler and/or rainy weather throughout the week at WDW.

DisneyCouture
08-14-2007, 01:28 PM
As being from the Northeast of the US, it is mild. I usually wear jeans and a sweatshirt. I bring a hat just in case it gets windy, but you should be fine without the heavy sweaters and such.

Disney Doll
08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
We usually go in Jan or Feb and find the weather to be pretty nice. The problem is that you kind of need to be prepared for anything. Some days you may see highs in the 80's and other days you might wish you had your jacket and mittens. We usually pack a bit of everything just in case. Usually though you are fine with a light jacket for the evenings and capris/jeans and tees during the day.