PDA

View Full Version : Memory Cards...

chick20679
08-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I am trying to decide if I should stick with my 1GB memory card, or switch to a 2GB...
Are there places in WDW to buy new cards, or are there only the places to download to CD?
I don't realistically think I'll use more than the 1GB, but I'm trying to calm my fears about running out of space for pictures.
I'm sure a new card bought at WDW would be outrageously exspensive, but I also don't want to buy one now (at home) if I don't need it...
Any advice?? Thanks!:mickey:

disneyholic2
08-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Hi,
I have 1 1gb, 4 512mb, 2 256mb, 2 128mb and a laptop with a burner.lol However, EPCOT has a couple of Kodak Kiosks, as alot of the gift shops, but they are exapensive. You may find having a couple or three chips a better idea.:mickey:

Disney Baby
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello,

I found this on a website - and I thought it might help.

To calculate how many pictures your card can hold, divide the capacity of your card by the average file size of your images. For example, if you have a 256MB card, and use a camera that has an average file size of 1.2MB, then 256 divided by 1.2 gives you approximately 213 pictures.

Camera Type File Size 1GB 2GB
2 Megapixel 900 MB 1137 2275
3 Megapixel 1.2 MB 853 1706
4 Megapixel 2.0 MB 512 1024
5 Megapixel 2.5 MB 409 819
6 Megapixel 3.2 MB 320 640
8 Megapixel 3.5 MB 292 585

BronxTigger
08-12-2007, 10:04 AM
The other thing to remember is that if you have videotaping capabilities on your camera, that will eat up a lot of space. Last year I think I took a 512 MB and a 256MB and I kept running out of space; I was downloading the photos each day to my DH's laptop.

This year, I'll be taking two 2GB memory cards along with my laptop to download to. I should have enough space...each card holds around 2000 photos or 45 minutes of video on my camera...and if I empty them every day, I should have plenty of memory.

Bringonthemouse!
08-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Last time we went, I took a 1GB card. I deleted "not so great" photos as I went along and when the card filled up, I went to one of the Kodak kiosks and had them put all the photos on a CD. It cost about $12 or $13 for the CD to be made.
:mickey:

IloveDisney71
08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Last time we went, I took a 1GB card. I deleted "not so great" photos as I went along and when the card filled up, I went to one of the Kodak kiosks and had them put all the photos on a CD. It cost about $12 or $13 for the CD to be made.
:mickey:
I didn't know you could do this at WDW. That is a great tip! Thanks

lindique
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Why don't you consider another option - buying an additional 1 GB card? They are very cheap (much less than a 2 GB). You don't want to find out the hard way (when you run out of space) and have to pay extremely high prices at the park.

sgdisney
08-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Why don't you consider another option - buying an additional 1 GB card? They are very cheap (much less than a 2 GB). You don't want to find out the hard way (when you run out of space) and have to pay extremely high prices at the park.

I agree, memory is so much cheaper than it used to be and the 2 GB are not that expensive. I just purchased a 2 GB memory stick duo this afternoon for 29.99 (on sale at Circuit City).

disneyfan328
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I have looked into this myself. I have been on various photography boards, and here is the info that I gathered.

It is highly reccomended that you purchase 2 - 1 gb cards vs 1 - 2 gb card. The reason is that along with the fact that if something happens to it you are out all of your pictures, there is the issue with downloading all of that info to a computer all at once. Depending on your memory you could send your hard drive into a heart attack. Also MANY of the kiosks at various places - ie walmart, target, walgreens even Ritz Camera cannot hold that much info so you are going to have a hard time printing directly from the camera card. They just aren't set up for that kind of capacity.

Also keep in mind the type of camera that you have. Mine is only about 3 years old and I was told that depending on the type of 2 gb card it is - my camera may not even support it. Again it was just easier to get 2 - 1 gb cards. I am a huge shutterbug and now have 3 igb cards a 512, a 256, 3 - 64's and the little tiny 16 that came with the camera. I am in hopes that this will be enough for the 9 day trip of a lifetime that we have planned. I take pictures of everything so it is well worth it to me to take to many pictures than not enough.

good luck with whatever you decide. We found 1 gb cards on ebay for our camera for less than 20.00 each with shipping so that was a pretty good deal.

jkj1224
08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Just for informational purposes in case you can't make a decision...you can purchase the SD cards in several of the gift shops across property, a 1 GB will run you about $60 though.

IloveDisney71
08-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I agree, memory is so much cheaper than it used to be and the 2 GB are not that expensive. I just purchased a 2 GB memory stick duo this afternoon for 29.99 (on sale at Circuit City).

FYI - If you have a Sam's Club membership you can purchase a 2 gb sd card for $19.82. I just bought one a week ago. :)

BigRedDad
08-13-2007, 07:34 AM
I am not sure what memory type your camera uses. However, prices on digicam memory is extremely low. I jsut bought a new digicam. It uses the SDHC memory. I got a 4GB card for $30. I reciommend just buying a new one because they are so cheap.

CanadianWDWFan
08-13-2007, 07:58 AM
It is highly reccomended that you purchase 2 - 1 gb cards vs 1 - 2 gb card. The reason is that along with the fact that if something happens to it you are out all of your pictures,
:thumbsup: I always carry at least two cards. My thought is that once the one card is full you just put it away and don't have to worry about losing it or damaging it.

With the price of the chips coming way down this is a better option now.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Since I am a picture-holic I have learned my lesson. We ran out last year and had to quite taking pictures. Mind you we already had taken around 500! This year we upgraded our camera with also takes amazing video. We purchased 2 4gb cards. Circuit city had them on sale a few weeks ago for $49! I figure one for pictures and one for video. We also have a 1gb card from when we originally bought the camera. I figure we will have enough space, lol!!:mickey:

Figgyluv03
08-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Don't forget it also depends on the quality of pictures you are taking. If you have your settings on a high quality, then you are going to use up more space. I leave mine right in the middle and I can get about 200 pictures of it. I also carry around smaller cards (not sure of the size) that hold about 20 cards to get me thru until I can upload them to computer.

chick20679
08-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the tips, pals!!!
It really helped my decision - I'm going to buy another 1GB now, so I won't run out of memory, and won't have to spend so much($60+??) buying one at the parks.
I also plan on creating one of the little CD's if I need to (I don't have a laptop to downoad to).
Again, thanks for the tips!! :mickey: Only 32 more days!!!!!

Brian
08-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Check out Circuit City's web site for specials. They tend to come and go. I was able to get a SanDisk 2GB SD card for $15 (after mail-in rebates) last year. I've seen that offer show up again from time to time.

chick20679
08-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks again, I'll keep and eye out. :mickey:

DisneyCouple07
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
My DW and filled up 3-1GB cards last year (about 1000 pics @ 7.2 mpx) on our honeymoon. For my b-day this year she bought me a new camera and 4GB card (good for about 1200 pics @ 8.1 mpx). I may go out and buy another card before we go. Last year I got an extra card just in case and we just ended up filling it up-I personally would rather be safe and get it on sale now (if possible) than pay through the nose at the parks. :mickey:

bjs6
08-18-2007, 04:24 PM
When we to WDW last year, I knew I would take a lot of photos. In advance I had a 512MB and 2 1GB cards. Just in case, I bought a third 1GB before the trip but did not open the package. My intentions were that if I needed it, I would use it and if I didn't need it I would return the card when I got home. Long story short, I took over 1400 photos on our 8-day trip but did not need the third 1 GB and returned it to Best Buy when I got home.

nicole48040
08-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Buy one right before you go and keep it in it's pkg. If you need it, you got it. If you don't use it, return it when you get back. No harm in being prepared :thumbsup:

lindique
08-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I would also suggest that you take an extra battery with you. You may not have enough time to charge your original if you get in late at night.

Alpha Jeanie
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I definately think that the bigger card the better. I took over 700 pictures on our last visit to Disney World. There were just too many great photo ops of the kids and beautiful scenery at all the parks. We all enjoy looking at the pictures very often.

Another great idea I had on our last trip was to take the cord that hooks from your camera to the VCR/TV with you on vacation. Each night when we got back to our room, I would hook up the camera to our resort room TV and we would have a slide show of the days events. It was a great way to end the day.

Don't forget to say "Cheese"!:mickey:

chick20679
08-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I really appreciate all these great tips guys/gals!!!! I can't wait to use my new camera!!! Only 29 more days!! :mickey:

woodsjen99
08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
We are leaving in 11 days and we have 6-2GB cards and 1-1GB card (some are my parents). We are taking there NICE Nikon camera and our little Kodak and using it to make video. We are debating if that will be enough. I LOVE TO TAKE PICTURES. My husband is looking into an adaptor for the ipod and download to there if we need to.
Last year I took 1400 pictures with my little camera. :blush: I know I will go crazy with the Nikon

Mnchknbrat1982
08-20-2007, 09:40 PM
I would buy another card. I am going in September and I have a 4 1 GB, 1 256 gb, 2 2GB cards that I am taking with me. 2 of them are my boyfriend's. Since I am not taking my laptop I did find something to upload my pictures to each night. It is called a photo bank. I got mine from best buy for $100 and it will hold up to 20gb of pictures. You just can't view the pictures after you upload. Once you get home though you can hook up the photo bank through a usb to your computer and download the pictures.