PDA

View Full Version : Airport / Magical Express / Limo

Sunshine1010
08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I found a REALLY cheap flight for my trip in January (39.00).....does anyone know if Magical Express picks up at Orlando/Sanford International Airport?

I know they do at the MCO (Orlando International Airport).

If Magical Express does NOT pick up at this location.....will HAPPY LIMO pick us up at that location?

CleveRocks
08-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Disney's Magical Express serves ONLY Orlando International Airport.

Most car services tend to average about $180 for roundtrip Sanford-WDW resorts.

Sunshine1010
08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Whoa......I guess I'll be paying the 59.00 price instead. They go to MCO.

Oh well ----

THANK YOU

Just wondering:.....how far is the MCO compared to the Sanford/Orlando airport?

tarjaybuff
08-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Check into Murray Hill Transprtation. We always go form MCO to POP for $85 RT. They are awesome. They offer many free ammenities as well for your trip to WDW. Check out their prices. You may be surprised.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
08-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Just wondering:.....how far is the MCO compared to the Sanford/Orlando airport?Sanford airport is about 30 miles northeast of MCO. Unfortunately, aside from taking public bus transportation, I don't think you'll find anything less than the $20 difference.

carrielf
08-11-2007, 07:21 PM
We flew into Sanford because of great ticket prices last year, and I have to say I think it is worth it just to pay the extra money. After a expensive shuttle ride and a lot of confusion, it would have made much more sense just to fly into MCO.

Sunshine1010
08-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Carrie,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience because of the whole Sanford thing.

I have to say.....I was SO excited when I found the ticket prices (they were ALL 39-59.00).

But, when I was choosing the destination, I realized it was to Sanford.

I'm hearing that the price of the shuttles are SO expensive.

I'm bummed.

Thank you sooooo much for the advice!

mainemajor
08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
For the $20 I would fly into MCO. We have in the past flown into Sanford airport and we rented a car for the week. This did give us an easy way to get around from park to park, resort to resort and into Orlando and Kissimee to go to dinner.
What ever you choose those are great fares! Enjoy your trip:mickey:

LoriMistress
08-12-2007, 02:46 AM
I wouldn't recommened Magical Express. They're basically Mears. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Magical Express. I've heard people who didn't receive the baggage until 11pm several times. I would suggest either limo/towncar service or renting a vehicle.

threeh
08-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't know if you resolved going to Sanford but I was going to fly into Tampa a few years ago (trying to outrun a hurricaine, but it didn't work) and Quick Silver would have picked us up and drove us to WDW from Tapma. I don't remeber the price being awful. Just a thought!!

Good luck!!!:mickey:

CleveRocks
08-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't recommened Magical Express. They're basically Mears. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Magical Express. I've heard people who didn't receive the baggage until 11pm several times. I would suggest either limo/towncar service or renting a vehicle.

Number one, DME is not "basically Mears." Mears is the subcontractor for the buses and drivers, but the rules and procedures are 100% Disney. It's run completely differently than Mears was. Mears might have waited around for an hour or more for a bus to fill up, and made multiple stops at the airport before leaving to drop people off at many different resorts and you could have been on the bus a long time. DME has only the one starting point at the airport, is allowed to wait only 15 minutes after the first guest boards before leaving, can only stop at a maximum of 4 resorts, and most of the time groups those resorts geographically to make everyone's ride as short and efficient as possible.

"I've heard nothing but horror stories." This just can't be accurate. It can't. Perhaps you've heard some good experiences, too?

I have read people say they've had horror stories. But I've never read a real one. What I've read are people who had unrealistic expectations. They never read the packet Disney sent them, had their own list of expectations, and when DME didn't live up to those fantasies, they said it was a horror story. For example, the many people who never read in the Disney DME booklet that they won't have immediate access to their luggage, that it'll be delivered about 3 hours after they arrive at the resort, and that therefore they should pack for their immediate needs in a carry-on. So these people yelled and screamed that they had baby formula and baby diapers in their luggage and had nothing for their babies. So number one, they didn't follow instructions, and number 2 they were pretty unsavvy travelers and unsavvy parents ... no one in their right mind packs all of their baby needs in checked luggage!!!

Or there was the guy on this board who was all upset that his luggage wasn't in his resort room when he arrived. I had to remind him that Disney NEVER promised him it would be inhis room before he got to his room. NEVER. I used ME on its 4th day of operation, and I knew what to expect. But that guy has this great horror story of how his luggage arrived 90 minutes after he did and how horrible that was. Guess what ... since it's promised 3 hours after he arrives, his luggage arived 90 minutes EARLY, yet he was screaming about what a horror show it was.

People not getting their luggage 'til 11:00 p.m.??? OF COURSE! One time, I didn't get it 'til 1:15 a.m. SOunds bad, right? Well, my flight arrived at 10 p.m., I got to my resort at 11p.m., so my luggage got there 2.25 hours after I did, which is well within the 3 hour window that DME says to expect.

And by the way, DME started in May 2005 and was supposed to end in October or November of 2006. But since it as so successful and so popular with guests and management, in April 2006 it was extended through at least 2011. There are quite literally MILLIONS of people who've used it, and an average of about 5 THOUSAND people every single day who use it to their advantage. If it was as horrible as you say, it would have died an ugly and quiet death a long time ago, rather than shining as the success story it is today.

DME isn't for everyone. It's a shared ride on a bus. A car service gives you personalized attention and privacy. A rental car gives you freedom to travel. If you search around the board there are rare horror stories of drivers not showing up or rental car reservations not being honored. But these are rare exceptions and if anyone posted that they've heard "nothing but horror stories" about those modes of transportation I'd tell them they were exaggerating, too.

snifflesmcg
08-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I'm going to have to agree with everything that CleaveRocks said about the DME.

First, I'll answer your question, no, DME does not pick-up at Sandford...only MCO. MCO is about a half hour drive from WDW. IMO, it's totally worth it to fly into MCO and have the DME bring you to WDW.

I have used the DME once last year (in 2005 I drove down) and I had a wonderful experience.

I must admit, the first time using DME can be a bit confusing because you have to land then transfer on a little train thing (and in my case, find the right floor) but if you read the packet carefully, it's not hard. They always have CM's around to point you in the right direction.

The nice thing is they pick up your luggage for you. All you have to do is land, find the DME and get on with your carry on. You board into a air conditioned bus and about 15 min after boarding, you are on your way while watching a video to pump you up about your trip (what's new and some info). From landing to actually getting into MGM last year was a total of 2 hours (land, find DME, drive the half hour, check in, drop carry ons in room and ride to park). Not too shabby.

PS-I've never heard a horror story.

Kairi_7378
08-12-2007, 09:30 AM
I have to agree that ME is a great service. We used them in March. We did get lost in the airport looking for the counter but that was because we didn't read the map properly that came with the tickets (was sleepy from getting to the airport for my 6:00 flight!) We checked into the resort at around 10:00 AM. I have no idea when we actually got the luggage but it was in our room when we came in from EMH's at MGM at 12:00 AM. All of DH's past trips were offsite but the ME is one of the reasons that he is now a firmly "on property" type of guy.
My sister in law just got married and her in laws are from Israel and HATE to drive. After the wedding, they went to WDW and were thrilled that the ME system was available to them. It just made their trip so much easier.

CleveRocks
08-12-2007, 08:49 PM
One of the difficulties in using DME is that there are NO SIGNS in the airport directing you there, meaning your only choices are to follow the map mailed to you or ask directions. Per Disney's contract with GOAA (the airport authority), there are no signs permitted that direct people to the Disney Welcome Center. Strange but true.

sainter
08-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Just to add my :twocents: -- LOVED ME both times we used it!!

Kairi_7378
08-13-2007, 05:05 AM
One of the difficulties in using DME is that there are NO SIGNS in the airport directing you there, meaning your only choices are to follow the map mailed to you or ask directions. Per Disney's contract with GOAA (the airport authority), there are no signs permitted that direct people to the Disney Welcome Center. Strange but true.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was very close to vacation melt down by the time we figured out where we were going!

Sunshine1010
08-13-2007, 08:07 AM
The 3 times I've used 'em......it's been perfect. But, I am also aware that bad experiences happen.

Thanks for all the info.

I'll just fly into MCO.

I've actually thought about flying into the Sanford one, and renting a car, and then dropping it off at WDW (I heard there's a company that does that)....and then rent another car to go back. The fares are really cheap for these flights I found.

But again.....I'll probably just fly into MCO.