PDA

View Full Version : BNB - mgm vs. broadway

Nekochan
08-11-2007, 08:01 AM
I've seen Beauty and the Beast on Broadway twice. Is it worth the time (and sweat) to see it at MGM?

BronxTigger
08-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, I don't know about BnB because I haven't seen it at either place. (and it's CLOSED now here in NYC :() But I have seen Lion King both on Broadway and at Animal Kingdom. That show is different, and worth seeing at both places. So, I would make an assumption that BnB is different enough to see it in both places.

TinkRocks
08-11-2007, 09:53 AM
The 2 shows are different. The MGM show is basically the highlights of the story / features the main songs, and the costumed characters are just as you'd expect to see them during meet 'n' greets in the parks.

The stage show is phenomenal - I've seen it numerous times. The music, costumes / make-up are wonderful and the special effects live up to Disney standard for creating the magic (think 'Be Our Guest' on stage).

I, personally, don't see the MGM show every time I'm at WDW, but it's good to see if you want to give your feet a rest.

Bluesky481
08-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I've seen Beauty and the Beast both on Broadway and at DW. (I saw the Broadway version first). Basically the Disney show is similar, but in a condensed format. The performers who played Bell and Gaston in the Disney show when I saw it were certainly Broadway caliber, but overall, I have to say Broadway is a much more exciting show...which only makes sense as Broadway specializes in bringing the BEST performers, BEST technicians, and the BEST sets in the world! While Disney absolutely has the best shows I've ever seen in any theme park, it's just difficult for me to compare them to the league of shows on Broadway...anyone who's seen a Broadway production will understand, I'm sure.

My vote? If you have some extra time in your day, the crowds are low, and the temp. is pleasant it may be something you'd want to try to catch...otherwise, I'd probably skip it. Hope that helps!!

Nekochan
08-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks. I was thinking since they took away the EMH the night (aug 27) I was planning on going that I would save a whole bunch of time by skipping it.

tiaramom
08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I am a big Broadway fan( living close to NYC)
I didnt like the broadway performance at all-
it was a bore!
MGM- was much better-
The story is ok- Its not flashy - its romantic
so older kids around 5 and up will enjoy MGM version. I too found it a bit Boring-

Lion King on Broadway and in Animal Kingdom are completley diffrent and both amazing!!!!
Go see them both if you can!

Jared
08-11-2007, 10:53 AM
If you've seen the Broadway production of "Beauty and the Beast," the stage musical at the Disney-MGM Studios is probably unnecessary if you're on a tight schedule.

The theme park version is fun but cannot compare to the New York show. Stop to check out a performance in the park if you have more than one day to spend at the Disney-MGM Studios.

DDuck66
08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I do not think you can compare the show at the Studios to Broadway, but it is one of the better shows at WDW. It is definatelt worth seeing at least once or twice.

moe513
08-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Its very cute. I would go if you have the time. Its not very long.

Maleficent's Dad
08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I do not think you can compare the show at the Studios to Broadway, but it is one of the better shows at WDW. It is definatelt worth seeing at least once or twice.
Very good and accurate post.

I saw the B'way production twice. It was very well done.

The MGM version is nothing in comparison - it's not fair to compare them, actually.

I'd go to the MGM show if you have time. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
08-12-2007, 12:20 PM
1) The MGM BnB preceded the Broadway show.
2) The MGM version is an attraction, not a "Broadway show".
3) For what it is, it is actually quite superior.
4) Even of you saw BnB on Broadway, the MGM version is worth it.