PDA

View Full Version : Staying at Shades of Green

eeyorerocks
08-11-2007, 07:28 AM
My DH and I are in the process of planning our next trip (end Sept - early Oct '08 is what we finally decided on - 2 DS (9 & 11) really want to be there for MNSSHP). The main thing we are trying to decide is where we would like to stay. In the past we have stayed on property and purchased the dining plan. We have never had any problems with ME, bus transportation to/from parks, etc. However, DH is trying to convince me to try SOG this trip. I have heard that this resort is very nice and very close to MK and Poly. However, I am a bit curious how SOG stacks up to DW resorts in the area of bus transportation (do they run all day long or just at certain times), dining and any other areas any of you can give me pros and cons on.

BronxTigger
08-11-2007, 08:37 AM
We stayed at SOG in August 2006. The rooms are huge compared to most of the Disney resorts. I want to think they are over 400 square feet, possibly 450. And all the rooms have a full balcony/patio.

As for transportation, they have a handful of buses:
-TTC (runs every 15 or 30 min...can't remember) (catch monorail from here to MK or Epcot)
-AK/Blizzard Beach (runs every hour)
-MGM/Typhoon Lagoon (once an hour)
-DTD (every hour)
When you check in, they will give you a bus schedule. In some ways, it is very nice because you know when to go catch the bus, so you know if you have just missed it or not. If you have just missed it, you can walk over to the Poly. I'd guess the Poly is about 1/2 mile away: it took me 7 minutes when I was walking pretty quickly. From the Poly you can use their standard Disney transportation. Same thing for the way back; you can take a bus/monorail to Poly and walk back to SOG. By the way, the SOG buses were clean and we never found them crowded. They have plush seats.

As for dining, we actually only ate there twice, because we were out and about so much at the parks. The food is good and well-priced. There are several restaurants on site, including a buffet, a nice sit down place, and a sports bar.

Here (http://travel.webshots.com/album/558501382rQIlcj)are my SOG photos.

Bottom line: it's a nice place to stay, but it doesn't have theming like a "true" Disney resort. The location is good, too, and the price can't be beat. They also sell the Disney tickets at tax-free, slightly discounted prices on site. They do participate in EMH and package delivery, but they do not participate in the dining plan or Magical Express.

disneydaisy
08-11-2007, 08:38 AM
We stayed at SOG in Oct 2004 and absolutely loved it. There were five of us and we had a jr. suite. We didn't have a car and used the SOG bus to get around. The only problem we had with the bus was trying to get to DTD. The buses to AK and MGM ran about once an hour so we adjusted our schedule to that, and buses to TTC for the monorail ran about every 15 mins. You can also make the walk to the Poly, about 10 mins, and get the monorail if you don't want to wait for a bus. The pool wasn't crowded, we could see the fireworks at night from our balcony, and my husband and father walked out onto the golf course to watch the Funai Classic. We are going back to DW again this year and didn't even think of staying anywhere else. The price is fantastic and we would rather use the money saved to spend at DW. We are renting a car this year because we want to go to the Space Center and have more freedom to come and go at the parks. MNSSHP is one of the main reasons we go in Oct. It is terrific and our whole family 7 to 70 love it. In general, the biggest negative I have seen on this site is complaints about the bus system. If you conduct a search for Shades of Green you will come up with quite a lot of comments. Have a great trip. 62 Days, Yahoo!!!:mickey:

SallyfromDE
08-11-2007, 09:52 AM
We stayed in SoG last Easter and none of us cared for it. It was okay for a one time experience, but we won't stay there again unless it's a high season, like Easter, again. The rooms were huge, but we were always in the parks. There was a small fridge, but we didn't use it. The air broke and the engineer came and "yelled' at us becuase we opened 2 doors at the same time causing the air to shut down. (when we went in the room, it was over 90 so we opened the patio door). He was really bent out of shape that he had to fix it.

The food at SoG is lousy!! We were on a special package because Sean had been in Iraq.
The breakfast buffet was okay. Since we paid for the package, we ate most meals there, but often looked around for something else. It was dry and bland. They told us, and had it comfirmed at the desk that this package would cover the special Easter dinner they had. When we went to make our reservations, they told us it didn't. So we paid for a meal we never got. But it was cheap. We ate the Rainforrest for Easter dinner, with last minute scrambleing.

I don't know why everyone thinks it's a short walk to the Poly for thier buses and the monrail. It is NOT that close. They do have a cart that will take you to the entrance of the SoG. But it was still a pain in the you know where. We did NOT mind taking the bus over the ticket center and transferring. I imagine because it was Easter, they had quite a few buses, many old Disney buses, not the Green SoG and half of them had torn seats with the stuffing coming out of them. I just could NOT sit down on that mess.

Expect a LONG hike to the Mickey pool, unless you are in a room near it. Then expect a LONG hike to your room after a day at the parks.

We've been to Disney twice since then and both times stayed in a Value. Which we prefer to SoG.

wdwfansince75
08-11-2007, 10:02 AM
DW and I have already made reservations for next June at SoG. We have done it before, and love it! We made a 3 day trip in May to celebrate DW's birthday. Rooms are larger than even the deluxe resorts, and well maintained.

Poly is a short walk, and we use the monorail there to get to MK. We use the TTC bus to get to the monorail for EPCOT, and use SoG buses or our car to get to MGM and AK. While many people complain about the buses, they do stick to their schedule very well. If you miss one either at SoG, or at the parks, remember that the Disney buses (which you can use) run between the TTC and oll other parks about every 20 minutes.

At the present time, there is no tax on rooms, so the price you find on their website is the price you pay....no 17% as at other resorts. Also, my experience is that the tickets are the lowest prices I have been able to find. But you can buy your tickets there, even if you are staying at Diney resorts.

We usually go during the summer, when grandkids are out of school. The SoG savings then are about $200 per night over Disney deluxe resorts. With a military ID, you can sponsor up to 3 rooms, so not only do we save $200 per night, but so do our kids.....makes vacations more affordable for all.....or gives you the extra $ to spend on special things. Kids could walk to Poly, and rent boats....or you can dine where and when you want, OOP, and still save $ over WDW with DDP.

Their dining gets mixed reviews. DW and I were most pleased with their in room dining, which we used for breakfast on our last trip. We also were satisfied with cost and quality of buffet. It ain't 1900 Park Fair, but I think your kids would find something there to please them. And the price is right. Evergreens Pizza was declared excellent by my grandkids.....think the place has replenished their supply of pepperoni since our last visit!

Marilyn Michetti
08-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, you all know where I stand on SOG. I think, if you qualify, there's no better deal around.

It's so quiet and lush, and yet close enough to stand on the porch and hear the train whistle. No tax, the lowest prices on deluxe rooms, and the "down to the minute" bus schedule is incredible. The food is typical buffet, - some good stuff, some ??, but it will get you out the door in the morning with a warm, full tummy.

The rooms are huge, clean, and comfortable. Each has either a patio or porch. Early in the morning we watch deer, wild turkeys, and DH goes down the path to try and get pictures of the alligator, (one trip). At Christmas, it's such a beautiful place, and I'm going to miss it this year so much.

Nothing is going to please everyone, but SOG is pretty close to it.:thumbsup:

eeyorerocks
08-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your input - it certainly gives us much to think about. I'll run all this by DH and DS and see what they think. It might be a little more "planning" if we want to take a bus to the parks, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that bad, especially since we'd know exactly what time they'd be leaving. As for the dining, I think we would certainly miss the Disney dining plan, as we make good use of our TS credits (DH is a BIG steak eater ;) ) but that too could be worked around and maybe only do a couple TS places instead of every night (might help with "vacation weight gain" as well :D )

BronxTigger, thanks for the pictures, it looks like an absolutely beautiful resort.

And, being able to see the fireworks and hear the train whistle from your room, how great is that!! Maybe the resort isn't the typical Disney feeling, but those little touches would be great!!

Thanks everyone (I'll let you know what DH decides)!!!

IloveDisney71
08-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I have considered staying in the past but didn't because we would be able to use the DDP. Now with the 2008 changes to the DDP, I'm thinking the money we would save by staying at SOG would help cover some of the costs of our favorite table service rest.s
I have a question about the buses at SOG. I understand they run on a very tight scedule and I don't have a problem with that at all. This is probably a silly question but I was wondering how many buses run at a time? For example, the bus to MGM that only runs once an hour - is it just one bus, or a few? If the bus you need fills up...what do they do?

BronxTigger
08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't know what they do when the buses fill up....the most crowded bus we were ever on was only 1/2 full!

Marilyn Michetti
08-11-2007, 06:58 PM
The busses run, oh, every 1/2 hour or so to the TTC, plus, there are separate busses that go to AK, MGM, (or whatever it is now), and DD.

I agree with the above post that they're never all that crowded. Lots of people just walk down the hill for the monorail - it's beautiful, and not far at all.

Don't let bussing be your issue for not staying at a deluxe resort at value prices.

As for the lack of Disney atmosphere, by the end of the day we're ready for a little break. The pools and hot tub are a great way to unwind.:cloud9:

IloveDisney71
08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks! I think we will have to give SOG a chance sometime in the future. It sounds great!:mickey:

Crow
08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
i stayed there since a friend was retired military.
rooms are great.
didnt use the bus much as it doesnt run as ofter, but it was nicer than Disney buses seatwise, the dropoff isnt as close at the parks though.
the buffet is one of the best values at Disney.
the walk didnt bother me to Poly.
id stay there again

chick20679
08-12-2007, 10:08 AM
We stayed at SOG a few times in the late 90's... that was before the renovation, so, my info may not be the most up to date, but...
We really liked the hotel, grounds & staff, but the transportation left MUCH to be desired. It doesn't run nearly as frequently as Disney transportation, and (as stated) you have to go to the TTC, and then transfer... Yes, you can walk to the Poly and catch a bus from there, but it's too long a walk (for us) to make it worth it.
The other great benefit of SOG is the discounted ticket prices, but you can still buy them even if you aren't a guest at the hotel.
But it is a great deal. And the hotel looks beautiful now (from pics I've seen after the renovation).
It's probably at least worth checking out once to see if it works for your family! :mickey:

JohnnyJayhawk
08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
SOG is a great resort, and is by far the best value on property. We walked to the Poly whenever we went to MK or Epcot, and took our rental car to the other parks so I can't comment on the busses. The rooms are huge, and they have two queen beds plus a sofa-sleeper. We ate breakfast (buffet) there a couple of times and it was good and well-priced.

As far as the walk to the monorail, I guess what constitutes a long walk depends upon each person's perspective. We are not big fans of long walks at the end of a long day at the parks. Even when pushing a double stroller laden with children and the day's purchases, we never felt that it was a long walk.

pixiesmimi
08-14-2007, 11:36 PM
We stayed at SOG once in the late 90's before renovation and enjoyed it then. I hear it is much better now. We had two families in one suite, 4 adults, a teenager and a 3 year old. We had plenty of room. There were two queen beds and a studio bed in a very large room. The resort was beautiful then and I hear it is even more so now. We have thought about staying there in the last couple of years but they were always booked up during the time we wanted to go. Last year we were told to book our reservations a year in advance. I thought that was a little too far in advance. Also, we like the DDP but with them changing it next year, we may go back to being on our own and may try it again. We did have quick bus transportation everywhere or took our car. I didn't realize (or remember) it being so close to the park until this year when I looked at the map again. For the price, I think you will really enjoy it. We don't spend much time in the resort anyway so didn't miss the amenities or themeing. The food was good when we were there. Can't speak for it now.

Von-Drake
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I have stayed at Shades of Green many times, before and after the expansion. I must say it is a GREAT place to stay. Only 10 minute or less walk to the Poly for the monorail (they will even shuttle you on a golf cart to the end of the SOG property and give you number to call to be picked up when you are walking back), making the walk in even less time. The buses run pretty good there. The rooms are slightly larger than most of the other resorts and the atmosphere is very nice. A little less Disneyish (meaning no Disney theme, characters, etc...); but all the other amenities and great Disney service is definitely still there. It is one of my favorite places to stay. Of course I can only stay there when my parents travel with us, which it is usually not hard to convince them to do. :) Enjoy your stay there.