PDA

View Full Version : Should we purchase airline seat for 18 month old?

Jen C.
08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
In less than 3 weeks, we leave for our annual trip to WDW. We have purchased 4 seats for the flight from Detroit (non-stop), with the intent of holding our 18 month old in our laps. We will be DH, myself, dd-7 and ds-6, along with the baby. We have traveled with children under 2 MANY times, and have always held them in our laps. We have sometimes used the Baby B'air vests, and sometimes not. We've never had any problems.
I'm not sure what is different this time. Maybe that the older two kids are getting older?, but I'm considering purchaseing my 18 month old a ticket. I WOULD NOT bring on her Britax Roundabout carseat, even though I am aware it would fit. It would just be too much to lug on with the kids and everything else we need to have with us. I would just be getting the seat to basically have more room, sit her down to play, and have her off of us!
What do you guys think/do? :confused: It seems like I could come up with at least a thousand other places to put that money for the seat, but is it worth it for 5 hours (RT) of convenince?...this trip keeps getting more and more expensive...how is it that always happens to me???:blush:

Minniemouse27
08-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I always bought a seat for dd (her first trip was at 17mo) and always brought her car seat.

MIL lives 20min south of WDW so we've been there a good amount of times and every trip dd was the only child in a car seat, and every trip she was the only one sleeping the entire trip!

For our trip in December, dd will be 6yo so no more seat for her, but ds will be just shy of 2yo and we will most definitely not only buy a seat for him, but also use his car seat...even though we only need it for the plane (using DME and Disney transportation while there).

Here is a great link w/ more info (http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/airplanetravel.aspx) about using car seats on planes.

I not only use them for the safety, but also the sanity factor. Ds would be all over the plane if he wasn't secured in his seat!

SBETigg
08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I would always buy a seat. I've seen what can happen in even minor turbulence and it would scare me as a parent of a small child enough to protect their safety no matter the extra cost.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-10-2007, 08:10 PM
We have always purchased a seat for our children, even when they didn't need one. We always bring their car seat too. Usually until 4 or so. Our DD will be one month shy of 4 this trip and we are bringing her car seat for the plane. Not only is she safer, it saves our sanity. ;) She does not ask to get down, only to use the restroom. She sits in her seat and colors or watches the portable DVD player we bring for her. When we took her at 15 months she slept almost the whole flight down and slept the entire time on the flight home in her car seat.

Our flight is only 5 hours round trip too. Five hours too long if she was not strapped in and happy in her seat. ;)

Our sons are 10 and 7, so even though the car seat is more to carry, it is worth it to us. They each carry their backpack, I carry a backpack as my carry on and hold Taylor's hand. DH also uses a backpack for his carry on and pushes Taylor's stroller with the car seat in it right to the gate. We have it down to a science and it works well for our family.

I know the Britax seats are really heavy. DD had the Marathon and now the Regent. Do you have an extra seat for another car or maybe a friend has one you can use?? I think you would all be much happier with one.

Have a great trip either way!!

MickeyandTink
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
We've flown several times with our kids and never bought them a seat before they were 2. We've been lucky on some flights and were able to get them their own seat without paying IF there were empty seats on the plane.

I guess it really depends just how much it is worth to you. For us, we would rather use the $300 or so for meals, souveniers, entertainment, etc. than to have a guaranteed break for 2 hours or so. For $50-$100/hr, I'll put up with a child in my lap.

TheRustyScupper
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
1) I have over 2,000,000 miles of air travel.
2) Lots of good & bad experiences, and one horrible experience.
3) I would NEVER have a child not in a child-seat.
4) NO parent can hold a kid in turbulences, or worse.
5) I have been on flights where kids were bounced around the cabin.

6) I was on one flight with two lap-held children
. . . one was bruised badly
. . . the other child DIED !!!!!!!!

Minniemouse27
08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess it really depends just how much it is worth to you. For us, we would rather use the $300 or so for meals, souveniers, entertainment, etc. than to have a guaranteed break for 2 hours or so. For $50-$100/hr, I'll put up with a child in my lap.

Ya see here is where I differ. We don't travel unless we are able to pay for our child's seat.

I fly on a plane just like I would travel in a car...preparing myself and my family under the assumption that we would crash or hit turbulance.

So if I was taking a trip on a plane that I KNEW was going to have turbulance...how would I want my child secured? For me that would be in their car seat. That is the way we travel every time.

If we didn't use a car seat...knowing that it was the safest way for our child to travel...and we did hit turbulance..and something happened to them. I would never be able to forgive myself.

I'm willing to give up a few tshirts for that.

thrillme
08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I've flown quite a bit now and really I've experienced a good amount of turbulence but I guess I've also spent a good deal of time growing up on a boat and fishing in the gulf to where turbulence really doesn't seem to phase me or throw me off much.

We just got back from the Smithsonian and I saw the first "commercial" airplane. HA HA...let me tell you...we are mass creatures of comfort these days.

I think having the baby on your lap is fine (the child IS 18 months chances are if you buy him/her a seat he/she will end up on your lap ANYWAY). I really don't think turbulence is all that big of a deal. There's quite a difference between a car an a plane. In a car...quite a bit smaller and lots of different things that can impact with it or it can impact with (Planes usually try to avoid this) so essentially all you're dealing with is, at the worse, a "bumpy road". In addition if the flight isn't full you'll still be able to slip baby into his/her own seat.

Honestly many of the kids I've seen under two end up crying or wriggling in their seats (pressures on the ears, strange noises etc) and Mom/Dad is holding them on their laps or walking them up and down the asiles. And to think...they ended up spending a pretty penny on that seat that they're not using.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
I too must agree. We always have purchased a ticket for our son. As others have stated, I don't think the issue was being uncomfortable, but the safety factor is worth the extra money. I luckily never have been in a situation where I have needed to hang on to my son but reading the post of someone being on the plane when one infant was badly bruised and one died it broke my heart. I think back and don't feel bad about spending the extra $$ for piece of mind.

jsdt
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
We get a seat for our youngest and bring his car seat. It is huge and bulky, but my wife was able to find a travel bag for it. It is basically a canvas bag that fits over the car seat and has wheels on the bottom (if you want to pull it ) or has two straps (like with a backpack). I normally use it as a backpack and can still have my hands free to carry other suitcases/carry-on's/kids.

Lizzie
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
We flew last October our twins girls were 7 months. We bought one seat and used the car seat for them. We are flying again with them this September and we bought seats for both they will be 17 months. We live in WA so the flight is long. And not only was the child being held not sleeping as well as the child in the car seat, the parent with the child was never able to nap with the kids. We will never travel that long without seats for kids again.

We are looking at flying with them in December. And not sure at what we will do becuase the flight is only about 2 1/2 hours and will be traveling with some friends and family. I would like to get at least one seat for them on that trip.

Minniemouse27
08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Honestly many of the kids I've seen under two end up crying or wriggling in their seats (pressures on the ears, strange noises etc) and Mom/Dad is holding them on their laps or walking them up and down the asiles. And to think...they ended up spending a pretty penny on that seat that they're not using.

My dd flew 5 round trips between the ages of 17mo and 3.5yo. She traveled in her car seat every trip and stayed in the seat the ENTIRE time, every time. Oops, I'm sorry..she got up for the potty once.

Dd was always in her seat in our car (still is), and she didn't see any difference on the plane. Taking the child out of the seat is a parental thing...if you do it, then the child will expect it.

FWIW, most of our flights were to/from Orlando (grandmom lives there) and there was NEVER an empty seat. Dd slept the majority of the times she was on a plane, something w/ the white noise of the engine..puts her right out.

One trip we had a family of four in front of us. Mom, dad, older sis (~4ish) and younger sis (just under 2). The youngest was a lap child and she made everyone in her family miserable the entire flight. She was climbing all over them, crying and whining the entire time. The poor mom kept looking back at ds, sleeping quietly in her seat, with longing!

Dicecatt262
08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
My question is similar..about the carseat thing. Before our kids were two, I never bought a seat for them, laps. Twins included.

But my youngest is now two, so she has a seat for our September trip. My question is about car seats. I see a lot of you bring yours...do you have to? Can they just sit on the seat? I'm sure it is safer if you have one, but do you HAVE to have one? I am just trying to figure out the logistics of everything...between the pack and play, the stroller, and the car seat, I think we might have to bring our own bellman.

Minniemouse27
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM
But my youngest is now two, so she has a seat for our September trip. My question is about car seats. I see a lot of you bring yours...do you have to? Can they just sit on the seat? I'm sure it is safer if you have one, but do you HAVE to have one? I am just trying to figure out the logistics of everything...between the pack and play, the stroller, and the car seat, I think we might have to bring our own bellman.

We never bring a pack n play... too big/bulky. We are going to stay at POR and have ds (turning 2 during our trip) use the trundle. Alternatively, I would have brought a bed rail (although WDW has them available for free) and put ds in one of the beds w/ dd.

When dd was younger, and our plan for our trip in December w/ ds now 2yo... we would place the car seat in the stroller and dd would walk. Dd, dh and myself each had our own backpack. Mine is the diaperbag (I Love Land's End!) and dd has a smaller kid's one w/ just toys for the plane.

If dd wanted to ride in the stroller, dh would pull the carseat on a samsonite micromover collapsible luggage cart, it cost about $25 at Macy's. It has elastic bands to keep the seat on the cart and then folds up and fits into the backpack!

Dh always would go onto the plane first during preboarding and install the seat. This allowed dd to run around the gate area a bit longer and burn off more energy, then when we got on...everything was all ready for her!

Check out the link I posted earlier in the thread about using seats on planes!

Dicecatt262
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks, I'll check out the link.

I'd love to not have to use a pack n play, but no choice...I have 4 kids! The daybed is already in use!

Lizzie
08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Our girls are in cribs at home. And we are staying at AllStar Music and they are providing us with two pack n plays. Also we have talked logistics on how we are going to get all of our luggage to get checked in and to the gate.

More than likely we will have whoever drops us off at the airport park and help us check in. The kids will go in the stroller and I can put diaper bags underneath. We than have to get two car seats to the plane. So we are going to bring two small rolling suitcasses and attatch them to them and roll them to the plane.

I wish we could use a cart to the plane but they don't allow it.

Dicecatt262
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Our girls are in cribs at home. And we are staying at AllStar Music and they are providing us with two pack n plays. Also we have talked logistics on how we are going to get all of our luggage to get checked in and to the gate.

More than likely we will have whoever drops us off at the airport park and help us check in. The kids will go in the stroller and I can put diaper bags underneath. We than have to get two car seats to the plane. So we are going to bring two small rolling suitcasses and attatch them to them and roll them to the plane.

I wish we could use a cart to the plane but they don't allow it.

It is tough with twins. I remember flying by myself with my 6 week old babies to my Grandma's funeral. Thank goodness I had sweet people around me in the bulkhead. The babies didn't cry, but still, there were women all around anxious to hold a baby and that helped tremendously. I couldn't leave them home, my DH had to work and I was nursing anyway. What a fiasco that was!

Jen C.
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I did purchase DD a seat. It works better for us.

I hope it didn't sound as though I, or any one else who posted for that matter, could put a price tag on my childs safety. I'm certain we all as parents would do what is best whatever the price tag;).

The story RustyScupper shared is heartbreaking. I'm also certain that it is extremely rare. You can find horror stories everywhere you look, sadly :(. I don't think people who choose not to buy a seat for their child are negligent in their parenting. It is simply what works for them at the time...and heck! who am I to judge??!!:confused: The seat worked for us this time, and we bought it.:thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
08-16-2007, 06:28 PM
I think I would buy a seat for the baby for just the comfort factor alone. It's going to be so hard to hold a wirey baby for that amount of time. Having a seat to place the car seat is much more comfortable, not to mention, safe. You wouldn't hold your baby in the car on your lap would you? I know you could probably find better things to do with the extra money but it's worth the "piece of mind" factor.

princessesmom
08-16-2007, 09:42 PM
I have always bought tickets for my children when they were under two and put them in their car seat on the plane. I have 4 children, so it is a lot to handle, but once they are settled on the plane in their seat life is much easier than the alternative. Most of the time they fall asleep for most of the flight, they are comfortable and safe and so are you. We fly at least twice a year and this has worked well for us. Be sure to tell the airline that the ticket is for a child under 2. Not always, but often times they will give you the seat for 1/2 price plus the taxes/fees.