PDA

View Full Version : help my son broke his arm and we leave for wdw in 15 days

PAMOUSELOVER
08-10-2007, 10:55 AM
My son broke his arm this week. He now has a cast up past his elbow. I am hoping to get them to cut it down before we goto WDW in 15 days.
But I was wondering if anyone has any advice for doing WDW in a cast.
We were so looking forward to riding everest, I hope he can still ride.

thrillme
08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
:pixie: Hopefully he's not in any pain and it all heals well

Take a plastic bag to cover his arm on water rides or ask the doctor if he has a special cast cover.

As strange as it may seem you can turn this unfortunate deal into a positive and have Mickey and friends sign the cast. How cool would that be? :mickey:

disneymom15
08-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I think he should still be able to ride any thing he wants. I've seen people with full leg casts ride many attractions. An arm cast should be much earier to handle than a leg cast.

BigRedDad
08-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't think he will have any problem. If it wasn't a compound fracture, a good portion of it should be healed in 15 days. Also, depending on wear the break is exactly, they may put him in a new cast if you explain the situation.

TammiMcMan
08-10-2007, 01:16 PM
We've experienced something similar twice now on vacation. The first was a broken wrist and the second was a broken thumb. You should probably talk with your ortho and have him/her answer any questions you might have. We were advised to stay away from the bumpier rides, where there was a chance the cast may get banged. Chances are that you have a fibercast covering, but that doesn't always guarantee it's waterproof. We purchased something called a Xerosox that slid over the cast and provided a waterproof seal. Even with all that protection, we had to have the casts replaced as soon as we got back. Between the water and sweating, the cast no longer fit tight enough.

PAMOUSELOVER
08-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone,
I am trying to stay positive about it. It could have been worst. He actually dislocated his wrist and broke his growth plate.
I heard they sell a item for the swimming that works great. I am waiting to buy one till I see if they will cut the cast down past his elbow.

TammiMcMan
08-10-2007, 01:54 PM
He actually dislocated his wrist and broke his growth plate.That sounds very similar to my son's injury. He was 9 when it happenend and recovered fully in about 8 weeks.

I heard they sell a item for the swimming that works great. I am waiting to buy one till I see if they will cut the cast down past his elbow.That's the Xerosox that I mentioned. You can do a google search and pull up the website. You kind of slip it over the cast and then blow it up to seal out the water. There are actually lots of cool cast covers out there as well.

Lynn J Mc
08-10-2007, 03:49 PM
We met a child with a cast on his arm in May. His mother said they paid extra to get a waterproof cast. The cast itself. Nothing had to be put on it. They were there for 10 days and she said it was worth the money. I think around $250. Good luck.

mttafire
08-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't think he will have any problem. If it wasn't a compound fracture, a good portion of it should be healed in 15 days. Also, depending on wear the break is exactly, they may put him in a new cast if you explain the situation.
Yep, I was going to say the exact thing.

jax86
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
last fall my daughter broke her foot 2 weeks before disney and had a cast up to her knee. we rented a wheel chair and never had to wait in line for anything.:thumbsup: She even was able to swim. they wrapped her leg and the hotel gave her a float. it wasn't exactly swimming, but shes 14 so she was happy just floating around. a broken arm shouldn't be nearly as bad. all the characters signed her cast and she loved the extra attention. good luck and have fun :mickey:

PAMOUSELOVER
09-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Just wanted everyone to know we had a great time, and my son rode everything he wanted to ride.
I must say he had a hard time standing on the busues with one arm, and that was it.

thrillme
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
AWESOME...Glad you had a great time. Hope your son is healed up soon.

WDWFanatic
09-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Glad to hear your trip went so well. Hopefully you won't EVER need to deal with that again.

BigRedDad
09-08-2007, 04:59 AM
Glad it was a great trip for you.

I must say he had a hard time standing on the buses with one arm, and that was it.

I haven't been in a while, but this is one thing I did notice when we were there. People don't have common Bus Courtesy (even at BG Williamsburg). I was always taught to offer a seat if a lady, child, or someone needs it more than I. This just doesn't happen anymore. I know everyone spends a long day in the parks, but etiquette and courtesy should still be kept.

vamaggie
09-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Glad he had a good time. When we went in 04 our DS had a cast on his arm and really got a kcik out of Mickey & friends signing it. He even let the Princesses sign it and fawn over him (which w/o it I really don't think he would allow!)