PDA

View Full Version : need help with decision

KEYONNAH
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm thinking about my next trip to Disney, but I need help from all my intercot friends. I want to go June 2008. My debate is whether I should go solo or take my niece and nephew with me. I took them 2yrs ago at age 7 and had behavior problems that frustated me. I told myself that I'd never do it again. Now they ask me if I'll ever take them again. I know that they would love to go, but can I really handle it again??? :confused: I've tried telling myself that they will be a little older. What do you guys think???

Stormi

Wolf
08-10-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm not a real fan of kids anyways so this might be one sided but I say you gave them a chance, take this one for yourself. I just read some people talking about how amazing it is by yourself so I'd say try that.

angedeaile
08-10-2007, 03:26 AM
I think that is really up to you.

I would think that they are atleast two years older, so it can only get worse or better....

Also, did any other adults go with you? I found it was always easier to have the adults out number the kids. I can totally see how you were frustrated with two little ones if you were on your own.

If you are unsure, just take a trip on your own and take them when they are much older. It is better to have a fun time on your own then to be stressed out at the World!

LauraF
08-10-2007, 08:43 AM
They'll be older when you take them, so that should help a little bit with behavior problems. But if it were me, I'd be wanting to know how they behave NOW. It's one thing if they were little monsters on the trip but fine at home. But if they're little monsters at home too, they're probably not going to be different at WDW. If they mind their parents well, it might be worth trying to get the parents to help out - "If you behave on your trip with Auntie then we'll let you do blah blah." Then you can use that potential treat to keep them in line. (Yes, it's bribery, but if it works . . . )

If you have a friend who'd be willing to go, then they can help you with them too. I remember when I had to mind my younger siblings - an extra set of eyes (and hands to grab a runaway) were always welcome.

KEYONNAH
08-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Usually I have no problems getting them to listen. Recently their behavior has gotten worse, but they are going through a rough time. They were living with their grandma and dad and were recently removed by child services and put with my sister. I know once they adjust they'll be back to normal. I have no friends to take with me. As for their mother if she came along she'd bring the other 3 with her and leavee me with them while she parties.

angedeaile
08-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Usually I have no problems getting them to listen. Recently their behavior has gotten worse, but they are going through a rough time. They were living with their grandma and dad and were recently removed by child services and put with my sister. I know once they adjust they'll be back to normal. I have no friends to take with me. As for their mother if she came along she'd bring the other 3 with her and leavee me with them while she parties.

Aww...that is so horrible. Poor things. Well, you pretty much sound like you have your mind made up. If you can get them to listen, why not take them.

Maybe something great like a trip to Disney is just what they need.

eeyorerocks
08-11-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm with Angedeaile - if you can get them to behave why not take them. It sounds like the kiddos have had a bit of a hard time and getting away (especially to DW) might just be what they need. Maybe, if you finances and vacation situtation allows, you could take them on a shorter trip, and then plan a solo trip for a little later in the year.

crazypoohbear
08-11-2007, 08:25 AM
They certainly have had a rough time. I would suggest that you see about taking them

somewhere for a long day trip or a weekend before making any commitment to Disney.

As much as you would like to bring them it is your vacation and you don't want to spend it being stressed. You can't make up for everything they have been throughwith one trip, so whatever you decide don't beat yourself up about it.

wdwfansince75
08-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Ancient Darlington Proverb....
That which rattles at low speed comes apart at high speed!

Do something less involved with them, to see if the rattles are still there....maybe a closer amusement park for a day, to see if they will really listen. If they behave, plan it, price it, and surprise them, telling them after the test that it was a test. Don't get their hopes up, and and then pull the rug out. If you tell them it is a test, beware of them testing you while you test them!

DestinationWDW
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Can you plan a shorter trip so that you can treat them but not "over stress" yourself if problems occur? It's hard, especially in an over-stimulating, exciting environment like Disney! I just got back with my 3 and we had several "trying" moments! Best of luck and pixie dust :pixie: for whatever you decide!

disneymom2000
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I know everyone has the "ole poor kiddos" syndrome but I have a niece & nephew who behave very well and then I have a niece who is horrible to be around because she doesn't get much discipline because she has a rough time and her grandparents are over indulgent due to this. I would never take her to Disney just because after a day she would go back be her usual self and a Disney trip costs quite a bit to be aggravated and who wants to spend the time trying to discipline and do time outs when you are suppose to be having the time of your life. I have taken my other two twice and they are wonderful to have around. The horrible one is now nine and has only gotten worse in the last two years but the other two are now 5 & 7. Sorry - but you took them once and your experience didn't sound too pleasant. Are you really willing to put yourself through that again?:spoiler::twocents: