PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use a handheld GPS on airplanes?

caryrae
08-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I use a handheld GPS while flying, it's pretty cool. You can see your speed (cool to see you are going 550 mph), altitude, and if you put in lets say the Orlando airport as the destination you can see how many miles and time left til you arrive. Of course you have to sit by the window to use but it does work and I have had no problems using them onboard but of course you can't use it til they allow the use of electronics.

Marilyn Michetti
08-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I just flew Frontier from Phoenix to Akron-Canton, Ohio this last week, and each seat has a GPS. It's pretty neat, but the altitude thing had me confused until I realized it's a "sea level" guage. It does give you a pretty good idea of where you are, and it's fun to start at 27 m.p.h. ground speed after push off, to almost 600 at 35,000.:plane:

Mufasa
08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
The use of handheld GPS devices may not be allowed by certain airlines and is always at the discretion of the aircraft's pilot.

The following airlines do not allow the use of handheld GPS receivers during flight:

Alaska Airlines
Air Tran
America West Airlines
American Airlines
Continental Airlines
Frontier Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
Horizon Airlines
Midway Express
Southwest Airlines
Spirit Airlines
Virgin Airlines

Other airlines and in particular flight attendants may question your use of a GPS receiver during flight.

Melanie
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I just flew Frontier from Phoenix to Akron-Canton, Ohio this last week, and each seat has a GPS.

Yes, I really enjoy this feature when flying international. :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
08-09-2007, 11:18 PM
JetBlue has this on one of its channels too as did Delta's Song ... it's a grand thing and I stayed tuned to it if I happen to have some good reading material with me. :D

Ed
08-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I just flew Frontier from Phoenix to Akron-Canton, Ohio this last week, and each seat has a GPS. It's pretty neat, but the altitude thing had me confused until I realized it's a "sea level" guage. It does give you a pretty good idea of where you are, and it's fun to start at 27 m.p.h. ground speed after push off, to almost 600 at 35,000.:plane:

That threw me when we flew Frontier to Denver last fall. I could clearly see that we were about 300 feet above the ground as we were approaching Denver airport, but the altimeter was showing something like 5,500 feet. :confused: It took as few second before it finally registered in my feeble little brain that Denver really IS the "Mile High City".

As Mufasa pointed out, several airlines prohibit handheld GPS use at any time during the flight. There are some very valid reasons for that. I won't elaborate, but let's just say they can be used for some pretty frightening purposes...