PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the Beast DVD

disneyfan369
08-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Does anyone know if the stores at WDW carry the Beauty and the Beast DVD? I am aware that I will probably have to pay an astronomical amount of money for it, but I love that movie! I know it went back into the vault several years ago (boo), so when we go in a couple of weeks (!!), will there be some floating around the stores? Thanks!

glenpreece
08-09-2007, 08:51 PM
I have never seen BandB on any of my trips to WDW over the past 2 yrs. I think since WDW is Disney owned and operated they are pretty strict about the whole vault thing. I know I've seen them in music stores before far over priced of course.

tinksmom02
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I would be very surprised if you found BandB at WDW.

I got DD's copy on ebay two years ago. Paid too much back then, so I can imagine what it's going for now.

Maybe it'll come out of the vault soon??

Good luck with your search!

DizneyRox
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM
True, B&TB is in the vault. Disney actually pulls the video from shelves when movies go in the vault. Some stores (not Disney owned) keep selling them until their supply is gone.

Last time, Disney over produced the DVD. They assumed since it was unavailable for so long it would sell like hot cakes. It didn't happen, MANY Stores ended up sending boxes of the video back.

Now your options are from collectors and/or eBay. Yes, it's probably significantly more than the list price, but with Disney, you need to buy it when you see it. It will be gone next time you look for it.

DizneyRox
08-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Maybe it'll come out of the vault soon??
I doubt it. It just went in a few years ago. I wouldn't expect it back out for another 4 years or so. If high definition videos take off, maybe they will try to cash in on that, but they have a huge library to draw from and since it didn't sell as well as they thought last time, I don't think B&TB will be a test case.

MickeyandTink
08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
My experience has been that they only reissue classic Disney movies every 6-7 years, so I expect it will be awhile before they are regularly available in the stores. You might get lucky at one of your local video stores if they carry used DVD's for sale.

In addition to E-Bay, Amazon.com also carries a lot of the Beauty and the Beast DVD's. They don't come cheap :spend:, but there are plenty available. As you would expect, the 2 disc version costs more than the single disc, and new cost more than used. You can probably pick up a used single disc for about $10-15. A brand new 2 disc can cost $40 or more.

Good luck.

disneyfan369
08-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the help. If by some miracle I spot it in WDW, I'll grab it. But there's no way to get a new copy in a store? I'm a little suspicious of Ebay.

DizneyRox
08-10-2007, 06:40 PM
But there's no way to get a new copy in a store?
Nope... I wouldn't even bother looking, really...

Your best bet would have been maybe a month after they went in the vault and it would have been one that slipped off the shelf and under a display.

Merchandise turns over so quick in stores (they are already having summer clearance sales) they are long since gone. eBay or Amazon are your best bets. Of someone you know who doesn't want it, maybe a tag sale.

The Bookseller
08-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I brought my Platinum copy of B&TB on E-Bay. Here's some tips I can give you:

First, don't buy anything from Asia. Those DVD are illegal rip-off and Bootlegs. They are of a lower quality and don't stand a chance against the Real McCoy.

Second, use a "In Betweener" to pay the seller. I don't send cash or a money order. Pay with Paypal or Visa. this way, if I got something ****** and defective, I can get a refund from those guys and let these companies goes after the seller.

Third, do your homework. Know what the DVD box look like, what's on it and ask if it's factory-sealed. The copy I brought for 50$ was sealed, still got the "Disney Store" price tag on and contained all the outdated publicity info inside. Can't have more genuine than that.

If you want to wait to buy it at a store, please do so but it might take a long time before they pull it out of the vault...

disneyfan369
08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Guess I'll just save myself some hassle and look on Ebay or Amazon. Thanks for the tips, all!

FlaTinkRAMESAM
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
True, B&TB is in the vault. Disney actually pulls the video from shelves when movies go in the vault. Some stores (not Disney owned) keep selling them until their supply is gone.

not true...all of the vaulted videos continue to sell once they have been sent "back into the vault." Videos remain on shelves until sold out. Once gone, that is it. This is Disney Store policy as well as various other retailers...