PDA

View Full Version : Best place to sit on a plane?

LuckyMum22
08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I know you all can help me here!
I have flown once, -round trip PHL to MCO. All was well and it was the kids first time too. That was 3 1/2 years ago.
In 20 days we are flying AirTran from BWI to MCO and we do not have seat assignments. For $5 each we can pick our seats in advance or we may select our seats upon check-in at no cost. Is it worth $20 on top of the (higher than if we booked today) cost we already paid to select our seats now?
If so, what seats do I choose? The planes are either, Boeing 717 and/or 737. I must admit I am a little anxious about flying. I try not to think about it but I can't even sneak a flask on board these days, if you know what I mean!:blush:
Any ideas?

Tinkerfreak
08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Because I travel with kids I try to sit closer to the bathroom (OK I do this for me too:blush:). That way it is not such a long walk to the bathroom and you don't get trapped by the serving cart.

SBETigg
08-09-2007, 05:44 PM
While things can happen anywhere, I have heard that technically the safest place to be is seated along the wing section of the plane.

BronxTigger
08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
I like to sit towards the front because then you are among the first to get off the plane. Of course, if you have to get your luggage, there is really very little benefit to this, as you will just have to wait longer for it.

mainemajor
08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I like to sit in the emergency exit rows because you get more leg room. However, with children you would not be able to do so. The back of the planes usually are closer to the bathrooms, but tend to be a bit noisier due to the engines. I guess it all depends on what is important to you. If you really do not have a preference then don't do it.
Good luck and happy travels whatever you choose. :)

droopy d.
08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
We like to sit in the front.

LoriMistress
08-09-2007, 07:27 PM
DH and I like to sit in front or the emergency exits.

GreenBeetle
08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm not a fan of the back row - I think you can feel every little bump. And since I'm an anxious flier too, I wouldn't recommend that area for you.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
We like the middle of the plane. We sat in the front row last trip and that did not work since we did not have any tray tables. The leg room was great but, it would have been easier with a pull down table.

HTH and have a great trip!

TammiMcMan
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
My husband prefers the front, but I like sitting in the back. The front row (row 10 of AirTran) will give you good leg room. The previous poster mentioned not having drop down tray tables, but the few times we've flown in the front row, they have had tray tables that come out of the arm rest. I guess that might vary by airline though. The only row that I would completely avoid, is the last row. Typically, these seats don't recline and the overhead storage bins are taken up by flight attendant equipment.

As far as your question about pre-purchasing the seat option, I would say yes.. especially since you are travelling with children. If you wait until you check-in, there's no guarantee that they will be able to seat you together. Trying to figure that out when you get on board and ask people to move is definitely stressful. For $20, I'd rather have piece of mind that we're all sitting together.

Wrigley
08-09-2007, 09:08 PM
We like to sit towards the middle of the plane. I also love to have a window seat-it keeps me occupied during the flight. I like to be able to look out and see all of the clouds and what's below. I would pay a little extra just to have my window seat!:mickey:

mickey-mouse35
08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I like to sit in the front because I get claustrophobic in the back. Seatguru is an excellent site for telling you the best and worst seats by carrier and plane. Just choose AirTran and the type of plane, and it will show you which onces are good, bad and standard.

mttafire
08-09-2007, 09:49 PM
I like the aisle best. I also like looking out a window but i get restless and end up hanging out at the rear of the plane chatting with a stewartess..:blush: SHH, Dont tell my wife!

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I'd like to sit in the black box. It's indestructible and that's the first thing they look for :D
Seriously though, I prefer an Isle seat with my left arm free.
I'm left handed and If I can't move that side I feel trapped. Plus I know that if God forbid something were to happen I could get up and take care of whatever the problem was myself :blush:

disneynarula
08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I would not pay the money. The flight is less than two hours and what are the chances they are going to seperate kids from parents? Especially if you have young children chances are someone is going to move to let you guys sit together.

wagjb
08-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Check out this website:

[link removed per Intercot's terms of service]

They give complete descriptions of all planes for all arlines and tell you which seats are good and bad and why.

I fly every few months for work and I always use that site to help me choose my seats.

Greg.

PS - I hope it's OK to post a link to another site here.

carribeanpirate5
08-10-2007, 07:37 AM
I would pay the fee for the peace of mind of sitting with your children. I fly frequently and prefer the front to middle of the plane (so you can exit faster) and an aisle seat. When I fly with my family, I let my kids sit closer to the window since they really looking out.

LuckyMum22
08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd like to sit in the black box. It's indestructible and that's the first thing they look for :D

That would be my first choice too!:covered:

LauraF
08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I've not heard good things about those "pay for a seat" places. If you're traveling with small children you should be allowed to pre-board anyway. Why spend $20?

When my family and I traveled we always had assigned seats, but we tried to get my brother on the most left hand seat (he's left-handed), and my sister in the most right hand seat (she's deaf in her left ear, which is a bonus when you sit next to my brother :D). One of my parents usually got the middle seat and the other would sit in the row behind or in front. We always tried for the front of the plane because at that point my brother wore braces on his legs.

chick20679
08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I would not pay the money. The flight is less than two hours and what are the chances they are going to seperate kids from parents? Especially if you have young children chances are someone is going to move to let you guys sit together.

Sorry to disagree, but I would definitely PAY the money, if you want your family to be seated together. I'm not sure how many are in your travel party, but even if the airline can switch seats around for you, you may still not have your whole family seated together(one parent with a child is about all you'll get). It's only an extra $20... for the peace of mind I think it's worth it.
As for seat selection, it's kind of your personal preference... most people either like closer to the front or closer to the bathrooms... as mentioned, the very back row doesn't recline - as well as any seats directly in front of an emergency exit row. I believe your post stated you have kids, so you wouldn't be eligible to sit IN the emergency exit row (and you can't pick those seats anyway).
If you decide not to purchase the pre-assigned seating option, I recommend you arrive at the airport WELL in advance to try and get seats together that way.
Anyway, hope this helps. Have fun!!! :mickey:

rwdavis2
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
At this site:

[link removed per Intercot's terms of service]
You can see the seating for both types of planes. The choice is made by clicking on Boeing 717 or Boieng 737 link on the left side under Air Tran. If you don't make a saeat request you could very well all be sitting apart and in middle seats.
Bob

crazeedizneefinatic
08-10-2007, 12:30 PM
We always like to by the wing or further to the front. I don't know why, we just always end up there. I know for sure though that I would not like the back by the bathroom, too much comotion for a relaxing flight. If there is such a thing. I am a nervous flier. I would save the $20 for an extra souvenier. I could not imagine people not letting your family sit together. In all the years and many flights I have never come across a problem sitting together. Another thought, the plane is going to Orlando, I would say almost all are going for a vacation and alot of people would be flying with families (at least that is my experience). I have met some of the nicest talkative people on our flights to Orlando. Everyone has a vacation "attitude" and excitement is in the air. I have not yet met someone who would deny my family to sit together.

TammiMcMan
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
I could not imagine people not letting your family sit together. In all the years and many flights I have never come across a problem sitting together. Another thought, the plane is going to Orlando, I would say almost all are going for a vacation and alot of people would be flying with families (at least that is my experience). I have met some of the nicest talkative people on our flights to Orlando. Everyone has a vacation "attitude" and excitement is in the air. I have not yet met someone who would deny my family to sit together.I was not implying that others would not allow a family to sit together, but it is an added stress. My experience has been somewhat different with our family of 5, in that on a few occassions, we have had to separate. In a lot of travel situations now, there is very little time between boarding the plane and having that plane take off. I guess in the end, it depends on the ages of the kids and whether they want it to be a concern at all.

TheRustyScupper
08-10-2007, 01:10 PM
1) I have flown over 3,000,000 miles.
2) Lots of experiences, including one REALLY, REALLY terrible experience.
3) I do sit
. . . in rows 1-2-3
. . . in rows 17 and higher
4) I do not sit
. . . in rows over the wing
. . . in rows under the wing

NOTE: When you fly, PLEASE buy a seat for infants and put them in FAA approved carriers or child seats. I have been on flights where kids were hurt, and one infant died. Regardless of your strength, you CANNOT hold a child in a emergency. The mass and force is just too great.

thrillme
08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Personally I like to sit IN the plane it gets a little windy on the outside. :D (sorry couldn't resist).

No emergency rows because I have a child traveling. I like the asile (I know I'm going to have to go to the bathroom) my DS likes the window so with just two of us...sigh I guess I get the middle.

If you're going to travel with kids I'd either sit way in the front or way in the back to be sure you're not over the wings. You can't look out the window and see stuff if you are. Other than that...it's not a HUGE deal unless you're in a major hurry to get off the plane (ie tight connection)

disneynarula
08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
You also need to consider that depending on the number of people in your party you might not get to sit together anyway. Most planes are three seats together. If you have more than three you are going to have to split up a little bit.

We always just grab a kid apiece and try to sit as close together as possible.

I have been on flights to WDW where they do not have people with children pre-board because almost everyone on the plane was with children.:mickey:

Think of all the Mickey Bars you can get with $20.

SteveL
08-10-2007, 06:03 PM
We just booked with Airtran, and for $15 we could book the exit row. Money well spent if you're tall.

DCDisney
08-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Someone else's suggestion might be buried in all of the replies...so I'm adding it again, to bump up the message too...
Refer to seatguru and get the details of the airplane that is scheduled for your trip. You can see the good and bad seats, and the reasons why they are given those labels (noise, size of seat, bulkhead, etc.)

CanadianWDWFan
08-10-2007, 10:19 PM
While things can happen anywhere, I have heard that technically the safest place to be is seated along the wing section of the plane.
Structurally the main wing spar is the strongest place on the plane. But then you can't see the ground from the windows.:(

I'm not a fan of the back row - I think you can feel every little bump. And since I'm an anxious flier too, I wouldn't recommend that area for you.
When you sit on a 717 the engines are in the back and things will be noisy. On the 737, the engines are on the wings. Anywhere behind the wing will be noisier

My favourite place is the front, so I can get off the plane first.

We paid the $5 for us and got to choose our seats. There wasn't much to choose from. We got row 22 on the flight down and row 17 on the flight home. Pretty well right bang in the middle.