PDA

View Full Version : Strep Throat Question

starryeyes21
08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I went to the doctor's office today and found out that I had strep throat. It's a bummer :sad:.

Anyway, I went to brush my teeth this afternoon and thought of something. Do I throw out my toothbrushes and mouthwash (I take gulps right from the bottle)? The doctor said that I wasn't contagious after being on the antibiotics for 24 hours. Does that mean I should buy a new toothbrush for tomorrow or should I wait until I finish the full course of treatment?

Also, does anyone know how long I should wait before I kiss my fiance again. This is killing me :stop:!

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Toss the toothbrush and the bottle of mouthwash.
Also, if your fiance has a tooth brush that sits near yours toss that one too.
Whenever there is any type of bug in my house I toss everyone's toothbrush and "isolate" the sick persons :sick:

ckaranassos
08-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Yes throw away all of your dental things away. My son gets strep a lot and the doctor and pharmacist instructed me to do so. we now keep an assortment of new toothbrushes in a drawer for him. Believe me new toothbrushes add up. Here in Jersey we have a wonderful dollar store that does sell name brand brushes.

Christine
08-09-2007, 06:24 PM
They already answered, but I just wanted to say get well soon! :ill: >>>> :pixie:>>>> :)

droopy d.
08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Hope you feel better soon.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I hope you feel better soon!

I get Strep throat almost every winter. It stinks. :(

ElenitaB
08-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Me and strep go waaaay back! Here's some more :pixie: that you feel better soon!

disneydrmr
08-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I ALWAYS throw away toothbrushes after sickness (whether colds, flu, or strep).. I get strep so easily... I hope you feel better soon! I usually don't kiss my dh until I have no fever and I've taken a couple days worth of the antibiotics.

crazypoohbear
08-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Just wanted to add that whenever I have someone sick in my house I also spray the heck out of all door handles, knobs, cupboard surfaces etc. If they "sicko" has been laying on the couch then I spray lysol on the couch and pillows too!
scrub all counter surfaces with lysol cleanup etc.

I know I'm paranoid but those germs are really out to get me:blush:

BrerGnat
08-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Ugh...I think I might have strep too. My throat has been KILLING me since thursday. I have white spots on my uvula and it's so swollen it's almost choking me. :( I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

I never thought to throw away my toothbrush...can you re-catch an infection from yourself? I always thought that wouldn't happen...

starryeyes21
08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. I did throw out my toothbrush. It was one of those battery operated spin brushes that cost me a little extra, but when it got down to it buying a new one was cheaper than my co-pays on dr's visits and medicine :spend: .

A big Feel Better to BrerGnat. Strep stinks. I had the same symptoms that your are describing. As soon as I started on the anti-biotics I started to feel better.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Can't you just change the head on the battery operated one? I can on mine.
I have to admit, I've never thought of throwing away my toothbrush, but I'm lucky because I haven't had strep in years. Now that I said that, you know what's going to happen!

crazypoohbear
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
The answer to your question is that yes you can reinfect yourself using your toothbrush.
Also, if you keep your toothbrush next to anyone else in the house they need to throw them out also.