PDA

View Full Version : Video-taping rules for rides?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
What are the rules for video-taping rides?
I want to shoot a bit of Splash (obviously not the finale..unless I put the camera in a ziplock baggy :secret:, POTC, and just wondered what the rules are for that?

Or if there are any "official" rules?

I was able to video-tape ToT last time but I didn't want the CM's to see. Do they care? I don't use the display window, usually prefer to just put the camera up to my eye when I tape it so I don't give off any light.

Wondering what the rules were..or if there are any?

Chris :hatter:

Toad
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
With the exception of some shows (i.e. 3-D Shows, American Adventure, maybe Carousel of Progress), you can pretty much video tape whatever you want as long as you don't use any lighting attachments.

John
08-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Here's some simple rules...

1) Don't Break The Rules! Don't tape any ride they tell you not to tape

2) Don't use external lighting

3) Don't ruin the magic for others - in other words - be courteous and aware of what you are doing. A perfect example of this is having an LCD viewfinder open in a dark theatre. Also goes for stepping in front of small children at parades so your video looks better...

gtpooh
08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I've video taped Splash before and it wasn't a problem. CMs saw me with the video camera getting on the ride and didn't react to it at all. Have fun and keep your camera dry! :mickey:

WDWfanatic742
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Just a little heads up. Splash added jets to the big drop at the end of the ride. So you get alot more wet than in years past.

mcjaco
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Or if there are any "official" rules?

I was able to video-tape ToT last time but I didn't want the CM's to see. Do they care? I don't use the display window, usually prefer to just put the camera up to my eye when I tape it so I don't give off any light.

Wondering what the rules were..or if there are any?

Chris :hatter:

Disney's official rule is, no taping on any of the thrill rides. Go ahead and email them, they'll point blank tell you not too. We have one rule at Themeparkreview.com. Ask the CM first, don't assume because you have camera in hand it's OK. You could still get thrown out when you return to the exit of the ride. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Second, taping something like ToT is putting everyone in the car in harms way. What if the camera were to fly out of your hand? It could hit someone within in the car, or worse fall out of the Tower. Not wise.

emmingo
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Its not a technical legal violation to tape something for your own personal use, but typically, theme parks like Disney will request that you do not tape rides, partly to preserve the magic for others, and partly to preserve their secrets and their copyrights and patents. Its very likely in your contract agreement when you purchase tickets--an implicit or explicit promise not to record rides. Do people pay attention to this? Probably not, which is why you can find video of almost any ride on YouTube. Should they? Absolutely. I'm not sure I see a real need to videotape any thrill rides, especially since you could do serious damage to your equipment and you risk injury to others.

Cinderelley
08-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I remember on some rides there was a spiel about not using flash photography etc, etc, etc, so obviously Disney knows that people are taping/photographing their rides. If they didn't agree with it, every ride would have that spiel. I would ask a CM, listen when they tell you not to use it, and make sure it's secure so that it doesn't come loose.

LoriMistress
08-10-2007, 05:47 PM
DH and I were able to videotape/record through most of the rides. But you cannot use flash/lighting and you cannot use the display window.