PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller or two umbrellas, or single and umbrella

disneynarula
08-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Here is yet another stroller question. This is the first time I am heading to the World with the kids. We have a 3.5 year and an almost one year old.

I have in my possesion an umbrella stroller, a regular stroller and a sit and stand.

I am wondering what I should bring with us to navigate the parks. We will be flying and renting a car so we will be driving to the parks mostly.

The sit and stand and the single are pretty much the same size when folded. It is not the easiest thing to navigate however. It would mean that only one person would have to push.

If we have two strollers then if we seperated then each boy could have their own. But if we have two then two people have to push and I am not sure how much my three year old will want to walk.

I need some advice from some experienced stroller pushers.

offwego
08-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmm that's a tough one. If you bring the one stroller you could in a pinch rent a double. The one thing to consider is the strollers will not fit in WDW lockers.

I would also think about the fact that the two strollers could get "parked" away from each other and you'll have to look for them both.

mook3y
08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
The first year we went, we had DD 1 DS 3 and our niece 4 (yes 3 on 2... not fun lol).

We took an umbrellas stroller and rented a double stroller.

By the end of the trip my DW and I both agreed that we would NEVER take an umbrella stroller again. It was just to difficult to navigate it. Getting the wheels over curbs, tracks, etc took too much force some times. Plus being 6'1, the handles were way too low and hurt my lower back to push it very long.

The double strollers have nice big wheels and handle great. With just our DD2 and DS 4 last year, it worked out great.

Now it sounds like your bringing your own regardless. so my best response to your main question is:

Last year, having only 1 stroller to push was great. That way we both got breaks from having to push a stroller!

JWDisneyFan
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Having been to Disney 3 times with my little ones (now ages 4 & almost 2), I could not even imagine going without our double stroller. My daughter who is now almost 5 is very tall for age, but there is no way she could walk all day even with a midday break. We had the same dilemna as you and ended up buying the Maclaren Twin Techno and LOVE this stroller. Very lightweight for a stroller a folds up pretty compactly for a double. Plus it maneuvers very nicely.

I had considered renting, but wanted the stroller for my younger one when we were traveling outside the parks too (at the resort, water park, etc.) I also ended up taking my own because of the rental cost and wanted something more comfy for the younger one to nap in than a plastic rental. I did not regret bringing my own and will do the same in Dec!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I do not like using umbrella strollers in the parks either, What a pain. The wheels are too small.

I would bring the sit and stand. I think you would all be more comfortable. :mickey:

crazypoohbear
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Does the umbrella stoller have a canopy for shade?
if not it's not worth it to bring, you want to keep them shaded.
the sit and stand won't work if the the one left standing is tired and cranky.
I recommend a double if possible

kakn7294
08-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I must have a different umbrella stroller than the average because mine was not difficult to push at all. Does the sit and stand actually have a second seat (I'm not totally familiar with them but I think some do) or will the 3 yo have to actually stand? If he can sit, I recommend the sit and stand - only 1 stroller but room for both kids when necessary. If he has to stand, I would recommend the single and the umbrella stroller.

mook3y
08-10-2007, 12:16 AM
The umbrella stroller we had was like a $20 one. We bought it with the intent of only using it WDW and leaving it when we left.

Which we did.

So maybe it was just too cheap of one.

TikiGoddess
08-10-2007, 07:59 AM
I would bring the Sit n Stand. That way the younger one has a comfortable seat and the older one has a place if they need it. We have traveled with a 3.5 yr old and an 18 mo old. We brought our side-by-side double stroller and it was great. Only one person pushing, lots of storage. (If you lived anywhere near CT, I'd give it to you... my kids have finally outgrown it!)

TikiG

disneynarula
08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
It looks like it will be the sit and stand for us. Thanks for all the advice.

Lizzie
08-10-2007, 03:57 PM
My only worry about the sit and stand is it doesn't give you a place for your older one to take a quick nap. I would bring it to use outside the parks but look into renting a double if you need it.