PDA

View Full Version : Richard Petty Experience

Figgyluv03
08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
DBf is a huge NASCAR fan and I wanted to try and suprise him with the RPE. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the money?? Also, does it get very crowded and have a long wait??

Chipfan
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I did the ride along 7 years ago and loved it. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. I did it because I am a huge NASCAR fan and I think any fan of the sport would love it. Ride along program is walk up but if you actually want to drive the car you need to schedule it and then you go through orientation training and then you drive the car. just go to the website for the Richard Petty Driving Experience for more info but in my opinion definitley worth it and I since I was only 16 last time I couldn't drive the car but I may just have to go back and drive it next time i head to WDW

CaptainSad
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I did the shotgun ride back in October 2004. I don't know what the prices are now. The Ride along was $99 for 3 laps. It go's up if you want to drive yourself. They have the 8 lap which is the next level and I think it was $499. A little secret. If you go to Epcot when it opens in the morning you may be able to catch a Petty driver giving out ride alongs for $25. This is how I got to go. What a rush. They take your picture in the car. I have that on my wall at home. What ever he chooses he will a have a smile on his face for a long time....

Rich

mickey-mouse35
08-09-2007, 08:53 PM
If you go to Epcot when it opens in the morning you may be able to catch a Petty driver giving out ride alongs for $25.

I'm confused. :confused: Can you give a bit more details? My DH loves race cars and Nascar but I've never done this because of the expense. $25 is worth it, though! :car:

tinksmom02
08-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I got my dad the Rookie Experience for Christmas last year. He loved it! I think it was $425 for the 8 laps. The "drivers" watch a training video, get suited up, have a meeting with the RPE drivers, then head out to the track. Half the class gets more orientation, while the other half drives around the track in a van (They take the kids out in the van, later. I went with DD, lots of fun!) Then the groups switch, and then they start driving. My dad was second to last to go, I don't know how they schedule it, but Dad and the last guy were the two oldest LOL that may have had something to do with it.

It's a long day, though...at least for us. I scheduled him for the 1pm session, we had to be there by 12:30 or 12:45, and we didn't leave until about 4:15, and there's not much there to entertain kids for that length of time. Although, on Dad's day, it had rained in the am, so they had the earlier class come back during the 1pm class, that may have had something to do with the length of time.

(I suppose we could have just dropped him off, but that just didn't seem right.)

The ride along looks like fun, too...I almost did it, but I was worried about humiliating myself while getting in the car LOL:blush:

Anyway, the rookie experience is definitely a splurge, but I think it's well worth it, and your DBF will enjoy it, if you can swing the $$$!

CaptainSad
08-09-2007, 10:11 PM
When I was there. There was this guy in a Richard Petty uniform. He was giving out a $25 (normally $99) passes to anybody that wanted to try this out. It was for the 3 lap ride along. Where he will get into a fire suit and helmet. They will strap him in the passenger side of the car. Hook him up to the Han's device. His driver will introduce himself. He will tell him about how fast they will be going. (145mph) He will fire up the engine and head out onto the track. By the time you exit pit road you will be hitting about 100mph. You will look like you are going to hit the wall coming out of a turn. You are about 6 inches away from the wall. If you have never been in one, which at the time I hadn't been, you will be holding on for dear life. That's the the first time around. Once you see what happens you will feel more comfortable and have the time of your life. I think $99 would have been to much and would not have gone if it weren't for the pass. I to am a NASCAR fan and follow Dale Earnhardt Jr. I never knew what to expect. It is worth the $25. If he wants a memento, they take a picture of him in the car after they come back in. It is on a plack and costs $35. What I meant about the entrance of EPCOT was. We were going to the park for the day. While me and the wife were waiting for another couple to get there tickets. I notice the guy with the suit. So I got to talking to him and he was there trying to drum up business for the RPE. He said we could go anytime and there usually not much of a wait. We went the following day first thing in the morning. If you stay to the left of where you pay for Magic Kingdom parking they will let you though. If you don't have a lot of time then the ride along is what he will need. If you want to score some brownie points and money is no option, then surprise him with one of the other experiences. The only draw back to this. You will never get him to do things around the house on race day. (lol)

These are the prices:

$99 Ride Along (3 Laps)
$399 Rookie (8 Laps)
$799 Kings (18 Laps)
$1249 Lifetime (30 Laps)