PDA

View Full Version : paying bill with debt card

jusandnew
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
When I check in I am going to pay with my Visa Debt card. Can I still use my room key for charging or do you have to use a regular credit card to place on the room?
:confused:

disney_mommy
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
We have a Visa Debit card as well and we always set it up for charging privileges. There has never been a problem.:mickey:

BigRedDad
08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
One thing to worry about though, when they set your limit, they are placing the charge on your card at that time. Therefore, if they give you a $3000 credit on the room key, they have taken $3000 from the account already. When all is said and done, they refund the difference. I would just give them a credit card, then at the end pay with the debit card.

mttafire
08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
One thing to worry about though, when they set your limit, they are placing the charge on your card at that time. Therefore, if they give you a $3000 credit on the room key, they have taken $3000 from the account already. When all is said and done, they refund the difference. I would just give them a credit card, then at the end pay with the debit card.

Agreed, Ive always been told to NEVER use a debit card at check in. Use it when you check out if you want to. Plus, If a mistake is made your checking account could be a mess untill its straightend out. We just use the credit card.

DizneyRox
08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
This is contrary to what I've been told and experienced.

First, the maximum credit limit would be $1500 for a deluxe hotel. It's $500 for a value and $1000 for a moderate.

Second, they don't charge your card until you hit the $500 or $1500 or whatever limit. I've used a debit card several times and never had a problem. I was skeptical at first, however what you describe didn't happen. At least not to me.

I've heard the stories as well about not using a debit card for gas, etc. I believe they are all myths however. Especially in this age of technology. The reason they ask about debit or credit now is because the charges for using a debit card are cheaper for the business than when they put it through with as a credit card, so they would rather keep that savings if they can.

DDuck66
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
This is contrary to what I've been told and experienced.

First, the maximum credit limit would be $1500 for a deluxe hotel. It's $500 for a value and $1000 for a moderate.

Second, they don't charge your card until you hit the $500 or $1500 or whatever limit. I've used a debit card several times and never had a problem. I was skeptical at first, however what you describe didn't happen. At least not to me.

I've heard the stories as well about not using a debit card for gas, etc. I believe they are all myths however. Especially in this age of technology. The reason they ask about debit or credit now is because the charges for using a debit card are cheaper for the business than when they put it through with as a credit card, so they would rather keep that savings if they can.

I work for a local bank, and what happens is that the companies put a soft hold on the monies, whether it be $500 or $1000. The money does not actually leave your account until they put the final bill through, but there is a hold against the account. The same thing does happen at a gas station, but they put a soft hold for usually $75 bucks. This only occurs when you prepay at the pump.

LauraF
08-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Actually what the WDW hotels do is put a HOLD on your card. That means credit cards will be treated differently than debit cards, but it's a subtle difference. WDW may be different than other hotels in how they follow this basic process, but the following has been my experience on other travels.

Use a credit card, and this means they don't charge you until either the initial limit has been reached or after checkout. (This is my experience at WDW - if you set a $500 limit then spend $650, you get two charges. One for the original $500 and another for the balance.) Yes, it reduces your available credit in a hold like a debit card, but it's not the same (see next) because you haven't yet paid for it.

For a debit card, they do one of three things:
1. Hotel actually deducts the cash used for the hold and refunds later whatever you don't use.
2. Does a debit card hold on your cash.
3. Does a soft hold, which works just like a credit card hold

However a debit card hold is sneakier than a credit hold. The hotel often actually "locks in" a certain amount more plus a reserve amount in order to ensure that the funds will go through. There are two transactions from the checking account. The first is the reserve, perhaps $100. The second is the actual amount, the $500 shopping balance. (Alternately, there is one large transaction where the reserve is combined with cost amount.) If you have a debit card, this hold can lock away funds for two or three days, leading to problems down the road. (FYI -this is how gas stations and many restaurants work when authorizing a debit card for a purchase.)

Both reduce your money in the end, but one takes it out immediately and the other takes it later. The mantra I learned - one is "buy now, pay now", while the other is "buy now, pay later." :thumbsup:

jusandnew
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone. it seems easlier to pay for your things as you go.

TheRustyScupper
08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
. . . Actually what the WDW hotels do is put a HOLD on your card . . .For a debit card, they do one of three things:
1. Hotel actually deducts the cash used for the hold and refunds later whatever you don't use.

1) From actual WDW experience, this is not so.
2) WDW does not place a hold or authorization on your cards.
3) They validate the account is real and active.
4) That is all.

5) How do I know?
6) Charges hit the cards the night before check-out, about 3:00am.
7) There are many cards that won't take the charges.
8) If there was a previous hold, the cards would take the resort bill.

NOTE: Several rooms each morning have balances that the credit or debit card won't allow at checkout. The guest gets a letter under the door to come to the Front Desk to straighten it out. If they leave, WDW Collections contacts them.

PS - Sometimes debit cards don't work because the daily spending limit on the debit card is too low, not that the money isn't there.

LauraF
08-10-2007, 01:14 PM
4) That is all.

5) How do I know?
6) Charges hit the cards the night before check-out, about 3:00am.
7) There are many cards that won't take the charges.
8) If there was a previous hold, the cards would take the resort bill.

NOTE: Several rooms each morning have balances that the credit or debit card won't allow at checkout. The guest gets a letter under the door to come to the Front Desk to straighten it out. If they leave, WDW Collections contacts them.

PS - Sometimes debit cards don't work because the daily spending limit on the debit card is too low, not that the money isn't there.
Thanks for the correction. :mickey:
I was told that was how it worked with debit, but since I've only ever used a credit card there, I will defer to your experience.

jusandnew
08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I just spoke with Disney and they will run a "0" charge to make sure the card is active when you check in.

crazeedizneefinatic
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
The only problem I can see with this is when you do go to actually pay the bill with your debit card there might be a problem. I have never done charging privledges so I am only thinking here, I may totally be wrong. The bank that issues our debit card only allows $750 dollars a day to run through my account. I can ask them to raise the limit though by writing them a letter. Regardless of the amount money I have in there. I recently went to pay for my vacation that I booked and was told by the bank that I would have to split up the payments so they would clear my account. My total portion of my vacation was $1790. I had to pay on 3 seperate days. Would there be a problem when Disney does finally put through all those charges on one day?? Assuming that much would be charged. I know I spend more than $750 out of pocket while I am there. Does anyone know or have had any experience with this?

jusandnew
08-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I have not experience this. They will run your room through when you check in, then the rest of the charges will be put on your account until you check out.
Call Disney and ask them how they do their charges .

SBETigg
08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
4) That is all.

To my experience, this is all correct. We used a debit card for charging priveleges and to check in last trip. They did not place a hold. They did not charge the card until we reached our pre-set limit(when they charge the card the amount and start over- they don't cut you off or make you check with the hotel again), and there was no problem with our daily spending limit (we didn't have one then). Disney is great about this kind of thing.

After hitting the limit the first time, we did actually start paying our balance off every night to keep track of our budget instead of waiting for it to hit the limit again. It's a great way to keep track of spending.

disneyfan328
08-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I have asked this question as well and was told by disney that they only check for active card and NO hold is placed

For those of you that have a limit on your per day spending you have a few options. first of all know what your limit is with your hotel
as stated above value it is 500.00, mods are 1,000 deluxe is 1,500.00

if you hit that limit on your room charge they are going to charge your card that night -

You also have the option of stopping at the front desk each night check your balances and charges and pay it off each night.

Note that you also have the option of choosing your own limit up to whatever the hotel give you by that I mean

Moderate - hotel says you can have 1,000.00 in charging privelages - you only want 449.75. ( or whatever amount you want) You tell them that at check in and will set your limit at whatever you want it to be up to the limit. I have also seen this printed in MANY of the various Disney guides out there - They do not charge or put a hold on your card at time of check in according to the research that I have done.

Can we get a CM that works at a hotel to verify this for us???

CleveRocks
08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
One thing to worry about though, when they set your limit, they are placing the charge on your card at that time. Therefore, if they give you a $3000 credit on the room key, they have taken $3000 from the account already. This is absolutely 100% incorrect information.

WDW resorts place no hold on your debit card or credit card, and they certainly don't actually put the charge through. If you don't believe me, I invite you to call any WDW resort and ask. Why would you spread such info if you don't KNOW it to be true? This may happen at other hotels, but it absolutely DOES NOT happen at WDW resorts.

CleveRocks
08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I work for a local bank, and what happens is that the companies put a soft hold on the monies, whether it be $500 or $1000. The money does not actually leave your account until they put the final bill through, but there is a hold against the account.
Not at WDW owned-and-operated resorts. It simply doesn't work that way. I think you and others are making assumptions based on what most hotels do. But WDW resorts don't work that way. Like I said before, don't take my word for it ... talk to someone at a WDW resot front desk -- NOT someone at the 407-W-DISNEY call center, but a CM actually working right that second at a resort.

TINKERBELL_82
08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
The only problem I can see with this is when you do go to actually pay the bill with your debit card there might be a problem. I have never done charging privledges so I am only thinking here, I may totally be wrong. The bank that issues our debit card only allows $750 dollars a day to run through my account. I can ask them to raise the limit though by writing them a letter. Regardless of the amount money I have in there. I recently went to pay for my vacation that I booked and was told by the bank that I would have to split up the payments so they would clear my account. My total portion of my vacation was $1790. I had to pay on 3 seperate days. Would there be a problem when Disney does finally put through all those charges on one day?? Assuming that much would be charged. I know I spend more than $750 out of pocket while I am there. Does anyone know or have had any experience with this?

Just an FYI- This is completely dependent on your banks policy. Some have daily limits (my old bank used to have $500 ATM a day and $1000 charging a day), and some don't.

I know this because DH recently bought something for $3000- with his debit card.

CleveRocks
08-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Actually what the WDW hotels do is put a HOLD on your card. Use a credit card, and this means they don't charge you until either the initial limit has been reached or after checkout. (This is my experience at WDW - if you set a $500 limit then spend $650, you get two charges. One for the original $500 and another for the balance.) Yes, it reduces your available credit in a hold like a debit card, but it's not the same (see next) because you haven't yet paid for it.

For a debit card, they do one of three things:

However a debit card hold is sneakier than a credit hold. The hotel often actually "locks in" a certain amount more plus a reserve amount in order to ensure that the funds will go through. There are two transactions from the checking account. The first is the reserve, perhaps $100. The second is the actual amount, the $500 shopping balance. (Alternately, there is one large transaction where the reserve is combined with cost amount.) If you have a debit card, this hold can lock away funds for two or three days, leading to problems down the road. (FYI -this is how gas stations and many restaurants work when authorizing a debit card for a purchase.)

Both reduce your money in the end, but one takes it out immediately and the other takes it later. The mantra I learned - one is "buy now, pay now", while the other is "buy now, pay later." :thumbsup:

No, no, no. Incorrect.
I'm not trying to be mean, and I'm not angry, but all of this is incorrect information that simply does not apply to WDW resorts.

NO HOLD on debit or credit cards. NO HOLD.

And while we're at it, another thing that WDW resorts DON'T require that IS required by almost every other hotel in the USA is a credit card imprint for "incidentals." WDW doesn't require that, either, but many people assume they do because almost every other hotel does require some form of plastic at check-in.

People come here because they will base their financial and vacation decisions based on our responses. I figure it's our responsibility to give accurate answers rather than guesses and assumptions.

CleveRocks
08-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry for so many posts. I responded in order, and I didn't get to all of the "correct" responses (starting with Rusty Scupper) until I was done with all my hot air.

TINKERBELL_82 is correct about the room charge limits by type of resort as UPPER limits.

So in the case of crazeedizneefinatic ...

You can set up your room charge for $500 or $600, for example. The room charge will only be sent through when you meet/exceed your limit, and that won't happen twice in the same day, and therefore you should have no trouble with such a charge going through since you won't have a daily charge of more than you limit.

When you reach/exceed your limit, you can just call your resort from your cellphone and re-authorize another room charge for any amount up to the resort's limit (in other words, doesn't have to be for the same amount as the first one).

FlaTinkRAMESAM
08-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I am glad this got brought up and clarified because I have an MC check card and a Visa check card (the ones that can be used as credit or debit) and I would not have thought twice. Last time, we only stayed 1 night so I didn't allow any cards on my room key... but now for our trip in Sept I want to...

So to just clear up for sure: I shouldn't have any hold issues or charges until I actually leave and have made charges on my room?

DizneyRox
08-11-2007, 06:00 AM
So to just clear up for sure: I shouldn't have any hold issues or charges until I actually leave and have made charges on my room?
Actually, a couple changes...

So to just clear up for sure: I won't have any hold issues or charges until I actually leave OR have made charges on my room excceding my maximum charge limit determined at checkin.

jusandnew
08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
They will run a "0" charge when you check in to make sure the card is good. You will pay for your room when you check in. Everything else will be ran through when you check out.
NO HOLDS WILL BE PLACED ON YOUR ACCOUNT.

mouseketeer mom
08-11-2007, 08:38 AM
We've always used a debit card upon check in..at EVERY WDW stay we've had. They authorized that the acct. was valid, thats it, then charged our card upon check out. Once upon check out, we got called because we exceeded our $1,000.00 a day spending limit as per our debit card, and needed to come to the concierge desk to give them another card to take care of the balance that wouldn't go thru. Not a problem. They said it happens all of the time!

jusandnew
08-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Call your bank and find out what the amount you are allowed to charge in one day. It is different from what you can withdraw.

DizneyRox
08-11-2007, 01:44 PM
... You will pay for your room when you check in. Everything else will be ran through when you check out.

Again, a little correction...

You will pay for your room when you check in. Everything else will be ran through when you check out, unless you hit your room charge maximum, in which case you WILL be charged when you hit the max.

CleveRocks
08-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, if you booked a package, you already paid for everything at least 45 days earlier, so you will pay NOTHING when you check-in.

If you booked room-only, then yes, you will pay for your room (and any tickets you ordered) when you check-in.