PDA

View Full Version : Capturing some magic for boys

PNWmom
08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I need some ideas of how to capture some Disney magic for my 9 year old son. For our 10 year old daughter we are planning on doing BBB and picking a pearl at Epcot. What special things do you do with your boys to make a trip extra special?

Thanks,

BigRedDad
08-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I am not sure of the age restrictions, but you can look into surfing at the wave pool. They also have the pirate thing from the GF. They go around 7 Seas Lagoon. I think that would be fun too.

magicman
08-08-2007, 12:08 PM
A couple of things that my son thought were fun:

(1) My son enjoys the autograph books. If you look at "Info Central" under "Characters", "Where To Meet", you'll see a list of characters. Let him pick his favorite characters to go after for autographs.

(2) Always ask if you can sit in the front on the monorail. If there is no one in the drivers car, they'll let him ride in the front; then, they'll give him a "co-pilot license".

Momof2boys
08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I let each boy pick a park to go to with just me at night. DH & the other boy stays and swims or goes to the arcade. They can pick any park, any ride, anything to eat, etc for those few hours. If they want to wait an hour for Indy Speedway, then I wait (trying to keep a smile on my face).

They've done the Pirate Cruise, but I think once they are 8 or 9 it isn't as "cool" for them as it was when they were younger.

Disney Quest is also a great place for kids.

LibertyTreeGal
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM
At Innoventions they have this place where you make a robot and then design one that you will race in a large interactive videogame (you do the running and jumping from a pad in front of a screen). Too cool -- and you get to keep the robot! :thumbsup:

magicman
08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
At Innoventions they have this place where you make a robot and then design one that you will race in a large interactive videogame (you do the running and jumping from a pad in front of a screen). Too cool -- and you get to keep the robot! :thumbsup:

This is a GREAT activity that I didn't think of when I responded earlier. It's a super (albeit exhausting :hurdle: + :old: = :medic:) activity that many people aren't aware of.

ALL of my kids loved it (but particularly my 10 & 12 year olds), so I'm thinking this would be an outstanding way for your son to get some special magic for his gender/age.

By the way, I still have my champion robot (named "Zippy Speedster") in my office. He won the race...me...I needed oxygen...I blamed it on the high elevation in Orlando.;)

kaliepooh
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Is building the robots and racing them a free event? If not how much does this cost? I think this is a wonderful idea for boys and moms;)

AuntDJ
08-08-2007, 03:24 PM
My 9 year old likes the autograph thing...I really thought he would be too cool for it, and he didn't really "run" to the characters, but the smiles on his face in our pictures tell the story, he was still really into it!

Also, I asked a simular question when I planned to take him the first time (he was 8) and I was told about the Family Magic Tour. We DID NOT enjoy this. It was hot and the only other boy on our tour was 4, all else were girls and very young ones at that. To this day he calls it the "Horrible Tour" and asks me why I made him do that....it is kinda of a joke, but we really didn't enjoy it. I now there will be others along that truly reccommend it, but I just wanted to pass on my experience.

Also, I think they have a "cool dude" package at BBB but I am pretty sure that my 9 year would balk at that..

Have fun!
DJ

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Is building the robots and racing them a free event? If not how much does this cost? I think this is a wonderful idea for boys and moms;)

Yes, totally free and lots of fun. I read about it here and we did it as a family our trip last year. The boys loved it. They are 10 and 7 now and can't wait to go do them again next month!

:mickey:

kaliepooh
08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, totally free and lots of fun. I read about it here and we did it as a family our trip last year. The boys loved it. They are 10 and 7 now and can't wait to go do them again next month!

:mickey:

Kwel thanks for the information we will try that soon!:thumbsup:

offwego
08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
While it was an unintential find I guess this may count.

Many of the stores that one shops in (we had it happen at one in AK and the shop in adventurland accross from the swiss family treehouse) have activities while you shop (hopscotch and a triva game in these cases) after which one gets a magical moment certificate.

My ds now 12 (and how did that happen??) does enjoy taking photo's as well. A small disposable camera (or fancier if ones budget allows) for the parks every day or so and a waterproof one and freedom to take whatever pictures he wants are a big deal for him.

TheRustyScupper
08-08-2007, 04:23 PM
1) You REALLY have to be creative for boys.
2) WDW does not do such a good job here.
3) They cater more to girls.

4) Some ideas
. . . do a Pirate hairdo at BBB (not that great, though)
. . . take him on a rental boat ride
. . . let him go on the Pirate Adventure
. . . let him name the day's activities
. . . give him a full day at Disney Quest
. . . splurge and do a Fishing Excursion
. . . fishing at Ole Man Fishing Hole (POR)

DisneyGiant
08-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Also, I asked a similar question when I planned to take him the first time (he was 8) and I was told about the Family Magic Tour. We DID NOT enjoy this. It was hot and the only other boy on our tour was 4, all else were girls and very young ones at that. To this day he calls it the "Horrible Tour" and asks me why I made him do that....it is kinda of a joke, but we really didn't enjoy it. I now there will be others along that truly recommend it, but I just wanted to pass on my experience.

What a shame ! My nephews aged 4 & 8 at the time loved this tour for the mostpart (the 4 year old was a little concerned about Captain Hook though).

Another tour kids in general may like is Mickey's Magic Milestones - they tell you about the history of Mickey and hidden Mickeys. You take a train ride to Toontown, and get a tour of Mickey's house with a tour guide that knows a lot of secrets. They boys - now age 6 & 10 thoroughly enjoyed this tour - but it depends on the kids. Our boys are like educational sponges and love to learn about Disney history.

Another activity for boys could be a trip over to Tom Sawyer's Island. Or hanging outside of Pirates for the Jack Sparrow tutorial.

Or - what our boys love the most? Swimming any where any time any place!!!! Some of the resorts often pool volleyball or games.

Mickey Magic
08-08-2007, 06:28 PM
:mickey:My DS is 12 and I agree that it can be more difficult to help him experience "the magic". BUT at 11 and 12 years (last year and this past June), he found something that he loved! He started the pressed coin collection. He collects them, organizes them in the books, and lists what he has so he doesn't repeat one. I used to worry about my DS "feeling the magic", but I know that he will feel it whether he always admits to it or not! Afterall he is a product of a Disney crazy DH and me-not to mention an older sister who is right on board. I just think boys can hide it at times at this age!:mickey: I almost forgot...HIDDEN MICKEYS...He LOVES to find them. Last year we bought a book to look for the ones listed, this year he found them everywhere...with no book!

PNWmom
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas, keep them coming! I need all of the help I can get.

Ones I think we will do so far:
-Cameras to capture hidden Mickeys
-Smashed penny collection (I do this for the scrapbook anyway) Do they still sell the books?
-Fishing hole, we are staying at POR
-Robots at Epcot
-Lego store at DTD

disneyboy98
08-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Just thinking back to when I was nine years old (way back when :blush:), and for me if my parents said you could do something that you wanted to do it would have been:

1. Go to DisneyQuest for the day or just the afternoon.
2. Have a couple of hours to play some of the video games in Tomorrowland or one of the resorts.
3. Get to pick one meal for the trip (I think I would have chosen the Sci-Fi Drive Inn or something along those lines)
4. If he is into collecting (I wan't really) the smashed coins are a great idea.
5. Getting my picture on one of those magazine covers at the MGM studios or getting my picture taken and then altering it to go into a scene at Journey Into Imagination.
6. Going to the DTD's Once Upon a Toy or WOD and letting him have his pick of something he really really wants

MOJoe
08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Two things that were big hits with my 9 yr old on our recent trip were,
1. Buying him an Indiana Jones Hat at the Indy Jones Adventure Outpost in MGM. The rest of the week many cast members called him Dr. Jones or Indy. He felt very special.
2. One morning i took him to Magic Kingdom for EMH. We rode Buzz and Astro Orbiter and then returned to our hotel to join the rest of the family. Again, special time spent.

5fromabove
08-09-2007, 03:26 PM
We were searching for "special" things for our kids for our upcoming trip, since they are all different ages, etc. This is what we came up with:

Our little girls, 3 & 5 are doing BBB
Our big girl-15- is doing the Swim with Dolphins Tour at epcot

For our boys- 7 & 11 we are having them do the "Build Your Own Lightsaber" at DTD, they are BEYOND excited about this and it's SO reasonable too ($20 or something each). Also, we let them choose the Magical Gatherings Tour that we did and it'll be the Fireworks Cruise with Captain Hook (with Peter Pan being a surprise at the end). That will excite the 7 year old more, but I'm sure they'll both enjoy everything anyway. I think we'll add the robot thing to our "must do" list now and they can do that while DD -15 is doing the Dolphin tour with her uncle :)

Tink#64
08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
My DS's now 10 & 11 love the pressed coins! We started that a couple of years ago & they love to look for them & find ones they didn't get the trip before! We also took them to DQ last year & it was a hit! We were there for about 6 hours! They especially loved the Create Zone! They made & bought music CD's & a toy from Sid's Create A Toy. It was a fun place for the whole family. My DS's are also into the pin collecting & we usually pick 1 or 2 different series to collect. This keeps it interesting trying to find all of the pins of a particular series. We've never done the robot thing at Epcot but this sounds like a must do for our next trip!:thumbsup:
I try to find some new things for each trip, we're creatures of habit & if I don't plan a few new things each time, then we just stick with what we know we love, fun, but I thinks it's always more exciting to try new things.

Nekochan
08-13-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm traveling with just my son (no daughters, which leaves me with no excuse for a princess meal). Waterparks, Disneyquest and jet skiing (or sea raycer/watermouse) are all great choices for him. There is also the Richard Petty Driving experience - your son might enjoy going to watch the race cars, if he's into cars.

The idea earlier in the thread for the robot thing is a GREAT idea. There's also the barbershop at the MK.

PNWmom
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
My husband and son are both car crazy what is the Richard Petty Driving experience all about?

apequet
08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
My husband and son are both car crazy what is the Richard Petty Driving experience all about?

I did this for my husband for Father's Day in Michigan @ MIS. ( you can do it @ many different tracks. Not just @ WDW) If you or your family is into Nascar.... this is a must do, but BEWARE... it's VERY expensive! I only did a ride-a-long, which was with a professional driver and went around the track @ 166mph. It was the coolest thing I've ever done! My husband did a ride-a-long too, but he also drove one of the cars. (He only made it up to 111mph :) ) There is age restrictions. I think your son has to be atleast 16 yrs old to do a ride-a-long and to drive they have to be 18. -- In Michigan, you can do a ride along @ 14 and drive @ 16. So, when my son turns 14, we will be doing this again. :)-- If your son is old enough and if you have the extra $$ , I would try to add this to your trip. You won't regret it!

Beast_fanatic
08-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Richard Petty Driving Experience (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/programs/petty.asp)

PNWmom
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
That look great, but our son will only be nine.
Thanks for the link.

OctDisney
08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Do not forget Tom Sawyer Island?

I believe it usually opens at 10:00 am, so get there when it opens and have them roam the island for paint brushes.

We spent an hour there and found a few paint brushes so we received a fast pass to BTMRR.

The searacers are fun too, but they dropped the speed, so they are slower now. When they were faster, my boys really liked them.

If you go to AKL or Boma at night, be sure to find out when you can use the night vision goggles. That is very fun for the boys.

Also, if you are planning a day offsite, Kennedy Space Center is worth the 1.5 hour trip. My boys were in awe and had a great time.

PNWmom
08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
If you go to AKL or Boma at night, be sure to find out when you can use the night vision goggles. That is very fun for the boys.

Can you do this if you are staying at a different resort? Do you have any more details? This sounds like something my son would love to do.

Pluto's Pal2
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
For our boys- 7 & 11 we are having them do the "Build Your Own Lightsaber" at DTD, they are BEYOND excited about this and it's SO reasonable too ($20 or something each).

Hello!

This sounds like something my 10 year old son would really enjoy. He is a big Star Wars fan. Where at DTD can we find "Build Your Own Light Saber" ? Our trip is coming up soon - we will be there this October. Thank you. :mickey:

Texas Tinkerbell Too
08-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Yes... I would like to know where to go to make our own lightsabers, too. My boys are very Big Star Wars fans. :darth: :yoda: We don't usually go to DTD, don't care for shopping. We'd like to go just for this experience, however.

Also, what is the night vision experience you are talking about. Is it at AKL or AK? Is this something you can do at AK during the EM hour? How much does it cost?
Thanks for your help