PDA

View Full Version : Disney "Scentology"

Boost
08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Do any CM's or Imagineers on this board know if the scents that Disney has in its stores, attractions, hotel lobbies, etc. are intentionally (mechanically) created or do they just exist because of certain building materials, cleaning products, etc.?

Just to clarify, I am not complaining - love whatever makes the Haunted Mansion smell like the Haunted Mansion and so on...

I know that this is a weird question, but I have always wondered....thanks!

SnowWhite79
08-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Yes there are scents at Disney that are intentionally placed in certain areas. For example in the Contemporary Resort lobby you can smell chocolate chip cookies baking. We were there on day just walking around the resort to take a look. We smelled the cookies and looked everywhere to try and find where we could get one. We couldn't find them. We finally asked a castmember where the chocolate chip cookies were and they said that it was just a scent that they generate and pump out into the lobby. lol So yes certain scents are mechanically engineered.

SnowWhite79

Camaro305
08-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I know that this is a weird question, but I have always wondered....thanks!

Not a weird question at all! Many of us here are "scent fans". :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Not weird at all. I have been wanting Disney to create one of those Scented Disc systems. Buy the Polynesian disc, plop it in, every few minutes it shoots out Poly scents. They can do this for every resort, park, shop, ride, etc. They'd make a fortune.

scottgr
08-08-2007, 12:57 PM
I love the scents at Disney and would love to bring them home...on main street near the candy shop..yummmm

malz288
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
my favorite scent is the smell of rome burning in spaceship earth

DisneyDudet
08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I love the scents at Disney and would love to bring them home...on main street near the candy shop..yummmm

TOTALLY created smell!

Same thing with the Bakery...The cookies are baked under the park, so they do pump out the smell so as to get people buying food! You wouldn't be able to really smell the cookies, so they make the smell themselves!

I think they do this to Turkey Legs as well....

I wouldn't mind a plug in of the smells of some of the rides and building...

fig's disney
08-08-2007, 06:11 PM
they also do this with that hot, buttery (and salty) popcorn people line up to buy.....next time your down there check out the popcorn cart.....the upper right hand corner has a small silver hole.....:secret:

battlefield2freak
08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
many of these are intentional scents disney has made. the utilidors which many people have not seen or know of is where all the work is essentially, like cooking, costuming, ride control, etc. so it would enhance the magic of the park.

IloveDisney71
08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Not weird at all. I have been wanting Disney to create one of those Scented Disc systems. Buy the Polynesian disc, plop it in, every few minutes it shoots out Poly scents. They can do this for every resort, park, shop, ride, etc. They'd make a fortune.

That's a great idea! Can someone please tell the people at "Disney merchandising" about this!?! :)

DisneyFanatic11
08-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh, I /love/ the idea about the discs that have the scents of certain places of WDW. I think I'd have a whole collection of them. By the time I get all the ones I'd want, I'd be completely broke. :blush:

disneyfan328
08-13-2007, 09:27 AM
I WOULD MOST DEFINETLY buy one of these scent disks. Who can we contact to get this going. It would be soooo great to have the magic of disney scents all year long. How cool would that be to have the scent disk in while you look at pictures or even view your videos. It would truly take you right back there.

Any cm out there know who to contact with a merchandising idea??????????:thumbsup:

DisneyKim22
08-13-2007, 09:01 PM
What a completely fabulous idea!!!!

Thanks for the tip about the popcorn and cookie smells. I had never thought about where the smell was coming from!

CrazyStitch
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Definitely a good idea about the scent disks! I'd buy a couple at least :)

BTW, did anyone else quickly read the topic and think it said Disney Scientology? :blush:

DisneyDudet
08-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Disney uses a machine called a Scent Emitting System which goes by the nickname "The Smellitzer." The nickname, bestowed by Imagineers, is a play on "Howitzer," which is a powerful, short-barreled artillery gun.

Smells are achieved by using scented pellets and/or liquid in the device, and blowing air through it and into the area of the ride that requires the scent. At the other side of the area, a powerful fan pull the scent back out of the air so that it doesn't drift into other parts of the ride or show.
Some of the rides, locations and attractions which use Scent Emitting Devices:

Main Street USA (Bet you thought that baking and candy scent was real! Only part of it is.)
Soarin'
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Journey into Imagination
Mickey's PhilharMagic
It's Tough to Be a Bug
Kali River Rapids
Spaceship Earth

cperry92380
08-24-2007, 01:19 PM
BTW, did anyone else quickly read the topic and think it said Disney Scientology? :blush:
Ha... have to admit that I did, thought I was the only one!!!

Creating the scents for home use would be great for us but could cause probs at Disney World... thats one more thing we hold 'special' at Disney and having it avaliable everyday would take away the "Disneyness" of it... to me...