PDA

View Full Version : Boston?

buzznwoodysmom
08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
OK, since I got such great information for our Washington, DC trip I figured I'd turn to my Intercot friends for advice on another non disney trip.

One of my husband's coworkers is on a mission to see a baseball game in every stadium in the US. Just over the weekend DH, his coworker and several other guy friends took a trip to Chicago to see a Cubs game and had a great time. On the plane ride home they decided that next year they want to go to Boston for another weekend trip and baseball game. Lucky for us girls, they decided that this trip should include the wives. So we will be headed to Boston sometime next Aug. or Sept. with at least 3 couples (no kids). Even though it is a year away I thought I'd start looking for information. For all of you who live in or are familiar with the Boston area, what are some nice, fun things to do? Any suggestions on tours, places to see, places to eat would be great. Thanks so much in advanced!!

disney323
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
So glad you'll be visiting Boston! I live in a suburb about 45 mins away from Boston but can tell you the things I really enjoy doing while in the City. Definitely visit Fanieul Hall and Quincy Marketplace. These have restaurants and shops and it's just an all around great atmosphere. Magicians/musicians performing on the sidewalk make it fun. I would also definitely visit the North End for a true Italian Dinner! There are so many delicious restaurants so you'll have to do some research there but my favorite is Pagliuca's. It's small but oh so good! Those are my suggestions, I'm sure I'll think of more and will just add to this post when I do. Have Fun!

disneymajik
08-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I live right outside Boston as well. Some to do's should be a ride on the Boston Duck tours which is an old WW2 amphibous that takes you on a tour of the city and ride around the Charles River. It leaves from the Prudential Center and the Museum of Science (Science Park T Stop on the Green Line). A trip to the Boston Common is great with a ride on the Swan Boats, only $2.75 per person. Nice shops on Newburry Street, expensive but great to see, with lots of outdoor resturaunts. The Trinity Church in Copley Square is also worth the visit along with a stop in the Farimont Copley Plaza to check out the Oak Room, and of course Fanueil Hall next to Gov't center. There are also IMAX theaters at the NE Aquarium on the waterfront and at the Museum of Science. There are many great resturaunts including Itallian in the North End. I also enjoy a seafood place named Skipjacks.

Many things to do in Boston and for the most part the city is clean and safe with a lot of people out all day and night. Have a great trip.

LauraF
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Nice! Hopefully the Sox'll win when you're there! There's nothing like attending a winning game at Fenway and feeling the crowd energy. :number1:

Consider the GoBoston card (type that into Google and you'll find the website). Kinda like PH at WDW, you pay by the day and it allows you into a whole list of locations.

One of my favorite things (since I like history) is to walk the Freedom Trail, which is an easy to spot brick line embedded in the sidewalks. . It's a free walking trail, but has over a dozen different stops.

I also love the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, as much for the art as the beautiful courtyard gardens. Occasionally there are musicians that perform in the courtyard. Ahh, live music and art.

PS: do not, not, NOT miss the Italian food in the North End. It's like walking into Little Italy and the food reflects that. Go to Mike's Pastry. You will not regret it.

buzznwoodysmom
08-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions so far. I have already started jotting down notes. The plan so far is to arrive sometime early Thursday afternoon and leave sometime Sunday afternoon so we are hoping to be able to cram as much into those few days as possible. Any suggestions on hotels that are nice and aren't too far from the ballpark. I'll post when I get more question, but thanks so far.

Dawneeeey
08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi!

Another suburbanite here. I live about 1/2 hour north of Boston.

For hotels, I would suggest something near the Prudential - the Copley Marriott perhaps. It's close to Fenway Park without being on top of it. And you'd be close to the subway to get around.

I agree with all of the other posters above, the North End is a must!!! Oh and they also have horse and buggies you can take from Fanueil Hall.

I would suggest buying your Red Sox tickets through the secondary market. You will not be able to get tickets otherwise, every game is always sold out. Stubhub is a good source. I have been to other ballparks where you can just walk up the day of the game and get tickets. Not so in Boston.. just something to keep in mind. :)

Enjoy your stay!!!