PDA

View Full Version : Europe or WDW

BashfulMom
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I will be turning 40 within a few months of our 10 year wedding anniversary.

My husband would like to take me to Italy (he was there while in the Navy), but being that it is my 40th birthday I would like to spend it at my "happy place".

I'm curious where you would pick?

SBETigg
08-07-2007, 02:07 PM
I would take the opportunity to see Italy, especially if it is something my DH wanted to show me. Considering you are here on INTERCOT, I'm assuming you have been to WDW and will do so again in the future. Italy is something to be experienced and would be a special trip, I think.

BronxTigger
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with SBETigg.

BigRedDad
08-07-2007, 02:43 PM
I chose WDW. The reason is that there is enough in the US I have not experienced. Until I experience what is here, I do not want to go out of the country again, unless work is paying for it.

I spent two weeks in England, Scotland, and Austria. Other than good beer, old buildings, and touristy stuff, there was not much in it for me. I can see enough of the UK and Italy that I want to in Epcot.

iwannagotodisneyworld
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
While WDW is most everyone's favorite place (at least here on Intercot), the Italy pavilion at Epcot is just a facsimile. Granted, it is a beautiful, magical, clean, American facsimile with incredible fireworks and food that we are used to. However, given the chance to see and experience the real thing, I'd be hard pressed to pass that up. Plus, sounds like your hubby wants to be your tour guide! That sounds like a romantic anniversary/birthday to me! If you planned for it, you could even throw in a stop at Euro Disney while you're across the pond (that of course, equates to having your cake and eating it too). :thumbsup:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-07-2007, 04:00 PM
From your post, it sounds like you'd rather go to Disney. Since it's your birthday, I say do what makes you happy.

That said, having traveled through Italy, I would pick Italy. It's thrilling to stand in and among all the places you've heard of and read about through the years (especially in Rome & Venice).
The food is delicious. Eating in some of the cafes makes me feel like I'm in a little jewel box. The shopping - especially the outlets near Milan - is great! The art and architecture are amazing (especially in Florence). Even if you're not Christian or religious, Vatican City is humbling. I highly recommend Florence or the Amalfi coast if you and your DH are looking for really romantic places. You won't regret it!

mprewitt
08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Italy is great, but the US Dollar is not doing great against the Euro, so you won't get a lot of bang for your buck in Europe right now.

caryrae
08-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I say try something you have never done before. I went to Egypt a few years ago and had a great time and am glad it was something I got to experiance in my lifetime.

Maybe you should try one of those Adventure by Disney tours, I think they go to Italy.

Here is a link to the Adventures by Disney http://abd.disney.go.com/abd/en_US/index?name=HomePage

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-07-2007, 08:19 PM
One last thing, I love love love Disney. But, going to Epcot, thinking you're actually getting a real foreign experience is something akin to an Italian tourist going to NY, NY in Vegas and saying they've seen America. There is so much more to our country, and other countries than the check-off-my-list-I've-seen-it-tourist traps which are developed by marketing types for mass consumption. The dollar is weak right now, but, if that's not a problem, go see the world!

TikiGoddess
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Italy, Italy, Italy!

It's a gorgeous country. The country is packed with history. The food is out of this world!

Or... go to WDW for your birthday and go to Italy for hubby's birthday... :)

TikiG

SBETigg
08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Italy is great, but the US Dollar is not doing great against the Euro, so you won't get a lot of bang for your buck in Europe right now.

This is true, and if you really want to convince your DH to do Disney again, you could use the financial argument to put off Italy for now. My aunt just got back from Scotland and spent a fortune because the dollar is so weak there at this time. Given the chance, I would still pick Italy but it is a good point.

crazypoohbear
08-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Italy,
Just the fact that your husband
1 remembered your birthday
2 wants to do something special for you
3 is willing to spend the money to take you there
4 wants to share a part of his past with you
5 loves you enough to ask you to decide.
ITALY.

jdvm
08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Italy...absolutely...definitely
john

Florida Dreamer
08-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Enjoying Disney with someone special allows many opportunities for great memories. However, the chance to see more of the world is truly an unbelievable eye-opening experience. In my opinion, see Italy this time!

Cinderelley
08-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Maybe you could hop on over to France to visit a different Disney park.

big blue and hairy
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I am about as big a WDW freak as there is, but Italy is absolutely amazing! DW and I went to Venice, Rome and Florence. I would highly recommend it!

I'm sure you will go to WDW again, but you may never go to Italy again, go...ciao!

:sulley:

k_reile
08-09-2007, 04:02 PM
While, I LOVE WDW...I would pick Italy. Italy is a once in a lifetime place, where as WDW you can always go to.

disneynarula
08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I voted for WDW.:secret:
DH is not a big vacation person so a trip is rare. If I had to choose it would be the only trip we took for years and WDW is my favorite.

If you can go to Italy and then WDW the next year go to Italy.

sleepingbooty
08-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I've been to Italy once without my husband, and I'd love to go back with him. I voted for Italy. That being said, we are leaving this afternoon for our 10th Anniversary trip to WDW. No, I didn't consider Italy instead. We would have needed to take twice the time off and spend twice the money. But if all things were equal - Italy in a heartbeat!

iheartdisney
08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I can't believe I voted for Italy but I agree with SBETigg...
Considering you are here on INTERCOT, I'm assuming you have been to WDW and will do so again in the future. Italy is something to be experienced and would be a special trip, I think.

And crazypoohbear makes some excellent points, too.

And since I just copied what everyone else said :blush:, just use my post as another resounding vote for Italy!

TheRustyScupper
08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
1) Take Italy.
2) WDW is fun, but Europe is great!
3) And, Italy is Italy.
4) As long as you can stand the declining dollar, do it.

NOTE; We usually alternate London and Hawaii each year. This year, instead of London we did Hawaii due to the low Dollar-vs-Pound exchange rate. To put it into Real-World terms, a "Big Mac" on Oxford Street would be about 8-bucks in US-Dollars.

MickeyandTink
08-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Enjoying Disney with someone special allows many opportunities for great memories. However, the chance to see more of the world is truly an unbelievable eye-opening experience. In my opinion, see Italy this time!

I'd agree! DW:tink: and I :smickey: were planning on going to Europe for our 10th anniversary. Instead, we got a "surprise" in the form of DS. So it's WDW for now (not that I'm complaining) and maybe Europe for the 15th or 20th.