PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Princess

Von-Drake
08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
How come Tiger Lilly is not included as one of the Disney Princesses? This question just popped in my mind when I was watching Peter Pan with my 4 year old yesterday in preparation for our upcoming trip to Disney World in 10 days.

kakn7294
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
My guess would be for 2 reasons:

1 - she's not really a main character of the movie

2 - she's a child (I know, so are Wendy & Peter but the rest of the Princesses are adults)

Strmchsr
08-06-2007, 02:06 PM
My guess would be for 2 reasons:

1 - she's not really a main character of the movie

I think that's the primary reason right there. Most kids if asked about Tiger Lilly would probably say, "Who?" She's pretty much a non-factor in the Peter Pan story, so it wouldn't make any sense to merchandise her.

SBETigg
08-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I think it's just that she's not a main character, but I loved her when I was a kid. Actually, it could also be that Disney doesn't want to bring attention to the treatment of Native Americans in Peter Pan.

It was in keeping with the times, perhaps, but I watched it with my kids last week and my kids, especially my DS(16) were horrified at the bigotry and ignorance expressed toward the Native American culture. I tried to explain that there was no disrespect intended, but that was the portrayal in older movies and Westerns. Still, I was glad they picked up on it and wanted to see more respectful representation.

GrmGrninGost
08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Tiger Lilly? Awesome idea! I hope Disney picks up on it! :mickey:

jkj1224
08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree it's probably just because she isn't considered a main character, but really when you think about it even Pocohantas gets left out of a lot of the princess merchandise and she is definately a main character.

LaDracul
08-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I still think the best representation of Tiger Lily was in the newer live-action movie. Unfortunately, that wasn't a Disney one. :(