PDA

View Full Version : Disney in mid-December??

JWDisneyFan
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, DH and I must be crazy but we just booked a trip to Disney Dec 11-17 for this year. We've already been twice this year, but DH has one more week of vacation that he must use, we have more DVC points that we were planning on banking, and we justified it by the fact that our DD will be starting school next year and we don't want to take her out for a whole week.

We've been at almost every other time in the year but never in December. We tried to get the first weekend in December but had no luck. Was told by member services that it is one of the busiest times for DVC members.

I already made ADRs and we are torn whether to do the xmas party or not since our 2 year old son has trouble staying awake past 9pm.

For those of you that have been, how is it in mid December - crowds and weather? Any advice?

keacc
08-06-2007, 01:30 PM
This is our favorite time of the year to go. The weather is generally decent with the days in the mid 70's and the nights cooling down to around 55-60. There is generally not much rain at this time of the year. We are going for the 5th time during December (15th-22nd) and have seen some days out of the ordinary. We sat out at a CP one year with the temperature in the 40's and a wind chill of about 32. We have also experienced many days between 82-85. Be prepared to have layers of clothes. You may need a sweatshirt in the morning and in the evening.

There are so many happenings to see this time of the year. The decorations at MK are beautiful. Make sure to see the Country Bear Christmas Show. The holiday parade is also fun. At EPCOT, make sure to stop and hear about each countries Christmas traditions. The CP is also a wonderful show. Make sure to get one of the dinner packages to assure yourself of a seat. The Christmas Tree lighting is a nice show. At MGM the big thing is the Osborn Family Lights. This is absolutely beautiful. Visit some of the resorts because the have beautiful decorations. The GF has a life size gingerbread house in the lobby.

MVMCP might be a bit too much for young children who are not use to staying up late.

keacc
08-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh yea, the crowds will not be very large during the time you are going. The weekend crowds will be larger.

Enjoy!

Strmchsr
08-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Crowds are better than in early December. Weather is completely wacky. You can have 80 and 40 for highs in the same week. Look in Info Central and you'll see the weather conditions for each day for the last 4 years. That should give you a general idea.

ArtDeco
08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Such a great time to go! It's beautiful with a lot of special things going on. It's busier closer to Christmas week, but I've been on the days you're going and it's not bad at ALL! I'd say it's rather quiet, in fact.

As has been said regarding weather, be tough or pack a light to medium weight jacket. Weather is generally comfortable but anything is possible, and it can get cold when the wind picks up and in the evening. DW gets chilly and takes along a hoodie sweatshirt. DD7 doesn't care either way cuz she's at Disney. I take some jeans and medium-weight shirts at the most.

The pools, by the way, are perfectly warm. The Villas at WL is quite a sight on cool nights when the pool emits huge clouds of 'steam'. Getting out of the pools is positively no fun - I like to say it's exhilarating :)

mudpuppysmom
08-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I took DS last year as this year if we go we'll have to take him out of school. I had read and heard about how wonderful this time of year is and it IS my most favorite time to go now that I have been!! The holidays are my favorite time of year and going to Disney just really got me in the spirit last year after my mom passed away.

As for the weather: we wore the gamut......jeans, sweatshirts, light jackets (we also had out winter coats since we needed them at our home airport), shorts and tank tops, so really you never know what the weather is going to throw at you, which presents a packing issue for clothing!!

The crowds: I found the crowds to be light (we went Dec 3-9 last year) and not anything to be concerned about in my book.....wait times (if any) were minimal. One evening DS and I were at MGM and we were THE only ones looking at the Osborne Lights!! That made for wonderful pictures!!

Epcot was our favorite place to be and we spent three days there going from country to country and learning about their holiday traditions and hearing different stories. The St. Nick from Canada even asked where we were from and requested that my DS leave him some pierogies and a hoagie for him instead of cookies. DS had a blast!! We even went and saw the CP one evening and it was quite balmy. The weather for us was a plus, as we come from northern climate where it is generally cold in December, so we were just glad we could break out our summer clothes in the winter!!

In all the different times I have been to Disney, the holiday time would be when I would choose to go if I had a choice to make!!

You are going to have a wonderful time!!

JWDisneyFan
08-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am so looking forward as I have always wanted to see the xmas decorations!!!

disneycouple2004
08-06-2007, 03:10 PM
:ditto:
Everything is as exactly as posted..you will love it that time of year.:thumbsup:
enjoy...