PDA

View Full Version : Best time to go

eeyorerocks
08-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Hi all - I'm new to the boards, but have been to Disney in the past, all during the summer months, and am in the process of planning the next trip. DH and I have finally decided it would be okay to take our 2 DS (9 & 11) out of school for a trip to Disney, but are having trouble deciding on a good time. We are looking at either the week of Columbus Day, the week after Thanksgiving or waiting until February and going the week of President's Day. Anyone have any experience with these weeks and which one would be best?

Thanks in advance:mickey:

GreenBeetle
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Welcome to Intercot!! :rocks:

I can only speak from experience about Columbus Day week. We went during that time last year and it was VERY crowded. I just posted in another thread on this subject how disappointed we were at the crowds. We have always enjoyed October in the past, but it's getting more and more popular with visitors. Perhaps the awesome Halloween party and fabulous weather have something to do with it.:D If you do decide to go during that time, you must get tickets for MNSSHP - your kids will love it!!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
I believe that in general, anytime you go around a holiday, the parks will be crowded. We have family that went around President's Day, and it was crowded.

DDuck66
08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
We have always enjoyed the first Week of October. The crowds do not seem to be as bad and the weather is still warm. You can also get to see MNSSHP if you go then. IMHO it is one of the best Disney hard ticket events that is around.
Also as an alternative we try and hit the parks around th middle of May before most of the schools have let out.

BigRedDad
08-06-2007, 10:31 AM
IMHO, I think it is best to pull your kids out of school to go to WDW. Going over a holiday like Columbus Day, President's Day, or Thanksgiving you will be dealing with extreme crowds and higher room rates. Since you are pulling them out, I recommend going in Jan - mid Feb, May, September, or October.

Strmchsr
08-06-2007, 10:37 AM
:welcome: to Intercot!!

:ditto: all three of those times you'll be facing close to summer crowds (though not summer heat). The week after Thanksgiving used to be good, but has gotten quite crowded. The same is true for Columbus Day. President's Day kicks off the spring break season. September is probably a little early to be taking the kids out of school, but it is usually a little less crowded. Early November (around Veteran's Day) is a little better, as is January, though taking the kids out again immediately after the winter break is often difficult. Of your three choices, I guess I'd go with Columbus Day weekend as the best choice.

eeyorerocks
08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great advice. I was worried that school holiday times would draw summer-like crowds :( Even though, as a whole, we do not mind the crowds, and have learned well how to deal with the parks when they are crowded, we were trying to find a "less crowded" time.

DDuck & GreenBeetle, thanks for the advice on MNSSHP - we have heard GREAT things about it and would love to be at Disney while it's going on :D How early can you get tickets? Can I get them at the same time I book my trip?

Maybe we will take the kiddos out of school the week before Columbus Day (plus, as an added bonus, they'd have Monday then to do some of their make-up work, right;))

Disneyfirsttimer
08-06-2007, 01:13 PM
We went the week following Easter last time and it was very crowded. Being it was our first trip, we managed well though.

This trip we are pulling them out of school (DS8 will be in 3rd grade and DD5 almost 6 will be entering Kindergarten). We are going October 13-20 to avoid Columbus Day entirely. We feel anything less crowded than last time will be noticeable.

Have a great trip!

Karyn

Strmchsr
08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks for the advice on MNSSHP - we have heard GREAT things about it and would love to be at Disney while it's going on :D How early can you get tickets? Can I get them at the same time I book my trip?

Generally tickets for MSSHP and MVMCP both go on sale early May. You can buy them at any point from then on. Usually you're already booked for a fall trip before the tickets go on sale, but they are hard ticket events and not tied to your package so you can purchase them at any point.

eeyorerocks
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Karyn - have a great trip in October - I'm jealous - we're not going again until next Oct :(

Strmchsr - thanks for the ticket info - I will definitely be looking into getting those tickets in the spring :D

faline
08-07-2007, 05:39 AM
The big Intercot Meet will be at Disney World the weekend of October 12. If you select that time frame, come and join the festivities!

I would definitely stay away from Presidents' Week. It is very crowded that week - probably the most crowded of the three time frames you outline.

For the week after Thanksgiving and/or Columbus Day week, I'd expect moderate crowds.

bkfree
08-08-2007, 01:10 AM
We usually take ours out of school and go the second week of Jan, after the marathon and before the next big holiday. This year we went Jan 12-19 and it was wonderful, warm weather and low crowds. I got every ADR on the days and times I wanted. We will continue to go during this time each year.

DisneyGiant
08-08-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi all - I'm new to the boards, but have been to Disney in the past, all during the summer months, and am in the process of planning the next trip. DH and I have finally decided it would be okay to take our 2 DS (9 & 11) out of school for a trip to Disney, but are having trouble deciding on a good time. We are looking at either the week of Columbus Day, the week after Thanksgiving or waiting until February and going the week of President's Day. Anyone have any experience with these weeks and which one would be best?

Thanks in advance:mickey:

Voting for week after Thanksgiving - its supposed to be extra magical when dressed up for the holidays - so I hear! I've never been during the holiday season......:(

CleveSJM
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Voting for the week after Thanksgiving as well. If you could make it the second week after Thanksgiving it would be even better.

k_reile
08-10-2007, 11:19 AM
when we were young...my parents always took us out of school about mid-january. Low crowds...nice weather...go to do a lot of stuff.

SBETigg
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
When we took ours out, we were careful to check the school schedule in advance to make sure we weren't pulling out during an exam week or a week in which reports would be due-- but of course, you can only know some things so far in advance. We ended up in the last week of October, and it was a good time to go but we still had crowds.

The last week of September might be good. September and January are lower crowd months. Also, the week after Thanksgiving might be a great time to go. The Christmas decorations are up but the crowds are low as long as you don't coincide with the Thanksgving crowds.

Tink#64
08-12-2007, 09:14 AM
We have always taken our DS's 10 & 11 out of school in late May, and had excellent trips. But last year their school schedule changed and we ended up having to go to WDW about a week later than we usually do and Florida schools were already out & it was the week leading up to Memorial Day! DH & I said we hope to never go around a holiday again. There was a tremendous difference in the crowds. We're thinking very seriously about trying an early October trip. I didn't think about being able to do MNSSHP at the beginning of October. DS's would love that.

Great ideas here as usual, Thanks!:thumbsup: