PDA

View Full Version : Why we Americans are so fat.

Speedy1998
08-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I had an epihany this weekend on why we Americans have an obesity problem. It is not what we are eating it is the portions that we are eating. Here is what happened.

I am 31 and lately have noticed that I have added a few extra pounds (I am not nearly as active as I was through out my teens and most of my 20's). Anyway I decided the easiest way to lose the weight is to start eating smaller portions. So this weekend DW and I were taking the kids to the beach and we stopped at McDonald's on the way for lunch. In keeping with my smaller portions idea, instead of ordering the double quarter pounder with cheese meal That I have been getting since I was 16, I ordered what I use to when I was a kid. 1 cheese burger, 1 small fry and a large chocolate shake. The answer I received back from the teller was "for only a nickel more you can get a medium fry". :thedolls: At this point the bargin hunter in me took over and I said "sure give me a medium fry". Then camee the ultimate shock, in the last 15 years large shakes have doubled in size from 16 oz to 32 oz. When I saw that, I turned to my wife and said no wonder we have an obesity problem in the US. It is not that we are eating things that are bad for us, it is that we are eating way to much food weather good or bad.

SBETigg
08-05-2007, 09:57 PM
That portion sizes are out of control has been in the news for quite some time. Nutritionists say that most restaurants serve three times larger portions than necessary, on average. But when restaurants try to reduce portions, patrons complain that they aren't getting their money's worth. Crazy, isn't it? But good for you on cutting back. Smart move for the waistline. :thumbsup:

Also worthy of note: obesity rates are on the rise in Europe, too.

jkj1224
08-05-2007, 10:03 PM
As another perk to cutting back and eating less I find if I eat a smaller portion, not only does it help with weight loss, but I take half my food home and then it's like getting two meals for the price of one...bonus! :thumbsup:

mainemajor
08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Oh, but thank goodness we can all pig out on the Disney dining plan. We all need those appitizers and desserts that go with dinner don't we?

mook3y
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
That portion sizes are out of control has been in the news for quite some time. Nutritionists say that most restaurants serve three times larger portions than necessary, on average. But when restaurants try to reduce portions, patrons complain that they aren't getting their money's worth. Crazy, isn't it? But good for you on cutting back. Smart move for the waistline. :thumbsup:

This is so true.

My DW and I have started sharing meals at restaurants and for those times we don't want the same thing, we only half the meal and take the rest for a meal later.

Just last week, I ordered a chicken salad from a local restaurant. The thing was so huge it was incredible. I ended up getting 3 meals out of it.

Horizon93
08-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Portion size is a big part of the problem. But it is also what we eat. The 21st century diet is normally filled with high saturated fat, high sugar, low fiber foods. We don't eat enough fruit, vegetables, nuts, soy products, and fish. A change in what we eat, combined with how much we eat, and dedication to a reasonable exercise program really can make a marked difference in how we look, but more importantly, how we feel.

A great tip for reducing portion size: 20 minutes before a meal, eat a handful of raw walnuts. They are high in unsaturated fat, the good fat, and will fill you up a bit. And they taste great!

Jen C.
08-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I agree that portion sizes, and types of food are a huge factor.

But IMO, our lack of activity is just as much of a factor. Physical fitness is something that is very important to me and my family. My children have never had video games. I only allow myself computer time after I've completed my workout and Pilates for the day. My children don't watch T.V. if the sun is shining and the weather decent. Sorry for "weighing" in, but it is so important. Even thin people are unhealthy if they are not physically fit.

luvdiznee
08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Agree with the portions being out of control. They say when you go out to eat that you should cut your meal in half ask for a doggie bag right away and this way you have another meal for the week. And yes, I can speak personally and say that I am less active. But I have started to do some excercise. No, not what I did 10 years ago but at least for me it is some. And lets face it there is a lot of good food out there! Its an uphill battle for me. :thedolls:

ImagiAsh
08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
In addition to portion control and exercise, I think we also need to slow down the eating process. What I mean is, I feel like we are always "on-the-go" or too impatient to just sit down and relax for dinner. My brother finishes every meal within 10 minutes of getting it and I'm starting to notice more and more people doing the same thing. Chewing more helps with digestion and inhaling the food within minutes of receiving it (as we often do on the way to work in our cars after picking up McDonalds) obviously won't help our stomachs break down things as quickly or successfully.

BronxTigger
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Another factor that plays into this is the cost of food...really.

Go to McDonald's and look at the prices. You can get a burger for $1 or a salad for around $6 or $7. You can feed a whole family for the price of one salad. But, the burger is nutritionally worse.

The same thing happens at the supermarket. A large loaf of white bread with little nutritional value is often $1 or less, but the Arnold 100% whole wheat (or similar type bread) comes in a smaller loaf and costs $3 or so. Same with cheese and other products that are offered in various price ranges.

A local politician did an informal experiment where he tried to live off a food stamp budget of about $24/week. He was forced to buy the cheap bread and a cheese that couldn't even legally be labeled cheese....they were called "sandwich slices". He reported feeling physically tired and unwell compared to his usual diet of higher-quality food.

So...sorry I'm so long winded...the cost of food (which translates to nutritional value) plays a big part in this problem too.

mook3y
08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Have any of you read "Fast Food Nation"? It is written by Eric Schlosser.

Or seen "Super Size Me". Where Morgan Spurlock does nothing but eat items off of McDonalds menu for 30 consecutive days.

Never before in history has there been such a huge supply of inexpensive food. However cheap food relates to poor quality.

If you have not seen or read these, they are well worth your time.

TINKERBELL_82
08-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Bronxtigger has a very valid point. This is true in many occasions, however, Speedy didn't mention cost as being a major factor. Trust me, I'm not putting anyone down, I love quarter pounders just as much as the next guy, but I do believe the real factor in obesity is food chioces. McDonalds is now offering healthier options. You can substitute your fries for fruit or salad. They have added new entree salads and healthier food options. But we (myself included) don't opt for those items, we go for the Burgers, fries, and soda. I think that is where the problem is.

JanetMegan
08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Good thread...just this weekend I was "given" a free apple pie for having a large size McDonald's combo. Just what I needed right? I actually fed it to the raccoons ;)

Marker
08-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Regardless of where we attempt to lay blame, ultimately WE are making the choice.

We eat more, we do less, and we gain weight.

We know what fast food can do to us, but we choose to eat it anyway, and with greater frequency.

When I grew up, eating out was rare. We ate home prepared meals. Meals with reasonable portions. Balanced meals, with vegetables and fruit. Being waistful was taboo, and putting too much food on your plate was indeed waistful.

In my opinion, as long as we try to lay blame on anything but ourselves, we'll never really get past this situation. We are responsible for our own actions. No matter how convenient they make it, or how much of a "bargain" the larger size is, WE ARE MAKING THE CHOICE. We blame them for giving us too much food, but the reason they give us too much food is because that's what we order, that's what we demand.

And regardless of what your mother may have taught you, you don't HAVE to eat it all.

poeticeclipse
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
When I grew up, eating out was rare. We ate home prepared meals. Meals with reasonable portions. Balanced meals, with vegetables and fruit. Being waistful was taboo, and putting too much food on your plate was indeed waistful.

Sadly, today it is "wasteful" to NOT eat what is on our plates. So, if we're handed extra or more of something, we eat it. And "home prepared" meals are becoming a thing of the past. More and more people find less time to sit around the dinner table and eat together as a family. If you think about it, you see the typical family now breaking up when they eat. Dad goes into his office and eats a burger, mom has dinner while doing laundry, the son goes up to his room to watch tv while eating, and the daughter is in the living room watching television. No one talks. No one pays attention to what the other one is doing. If that same family were sitting around a table eating dinner, they would be talking to each other so eating out of control wouldn't really be thought about much at all.

Jeff G
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
This is a very interesting topic. A few weeks back we were having a discussion about McDonald's and their portions which was spurred by the new 42 oz. (1/3 gallon) pop that is now being offered. If one were to order a regular coke that would represent 490 calories in just the drink. When I grew up in the 80's the largest pop served at McDonald's was now their current medium. With all fast food chains, not just picking on McDonald's, we have seen much larger portions. Fries are bigger and burgers now come in double and even triple 1/4 pounders. That is a lot of food (calories and fat too). I don't blame fast food though. We tend to be an over indulging society and these items wouldn't be on the menu without a demand for them.

And "home prepared" meals are becoming a thing of the past. More and more people find less time to sit around the dinner table and eat together as a family. If you think about it, you see the typical family now breaking up when they eat. Dad goes into his office and eats a burger, mom has dinner while doing laundry, the son goes up to his room to watch TV while eating, and the daughter is in the living room watching television. No one talks. No one pays attention to what the other one is doing. If that same family were sitting around a table eating dinner, they would be talking to each other so eating out of control wouldn't really be thought about much at all.

This is so true and sad. We are not always able to sit as a family and eat but we do every chance we have. By eating at home we can ensure our kids get a well rounded meal, were able to chat and catch up and were also able to say grace together.

Jasper
08-06-2007, 12:42 PM

This is not surprising considering that people are people no matter where in the world they live. Plus with the way all of our cultures are cross pollinated anymore most of the so called "civilized" world have the same food availability and lack of excersize.

ldn324
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
BronxTigger - I have often said the same thing about the cost issue of food. It costs MUCH more to eat healthy than it does to eat junk. For example, it costs $1 for a huge bag of white rice and $3-$4 for a small box of brown long-grain rice. Or $1 for the store brand white bread and $4 for the healthy, low-carb bread. So the poverty level - and even middle-class people - can't afford to eat healthy all the time, especially when feeding a family. The fast food "super-size" thing always gets me too. They give you more of the cheap stuff - potatoes and sugar. They don't offer to give you a bigger grilled chicken sandwich or a larger bottle of water.

And sure fast food restaurants give us what they consider "healthy" alternatives, but when you actually look at the nutritional content, it's not much better. The fruit & yogurt salad at McDonalds - the yogurt is not no-fat, it's not even low-fat - and it's loaded full of carbs. The salads - they are sprayed with so much preservatives that it's not even like eating real food. Makes me cringe to think what kind of chemicals people are eating when they get one of those fast food salads. Don't even get me started on the salad dressings...enough fat in most of those to choke a horse too.

I try and avoid fast food places at all costs. There's just nothing healthy available there. Plus I feel like I'm doing sort of a silent protest by not supporting them.

We do need to regain control over our own eating patterns. We're such a spoiled society - so used to having food made for us quickly. A little self control, some smart shopping and a half hour set aside each week would do wonders. Purchase healthy items in bulk and portion control them for the week ahead. Snacks like nuts, dried fruits, carrots, etc. are wonderful to carry to work with you and if they're already portioned out, all you need to do is grab and go. Buy fresh produce and make your own "salad bar" at home. DH buys chicken breasts when they are on sale, then grills them all, cuts them into pieces and freezes them. Grilled chicken salad for lunch whenever he wants - he controls the portions and the dressing.

True, they don't make it easy for us. But ultimately we have to want to eat healthier before the powers that be make a change. If we send the signal that we don't want to be "super-sized", then maybe they'll follow suit.

Horizon93
08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Since DW and I went on a new nutrition plan, our grocery bills have gone up considerably. Fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, nuts, and other good options simply cost more. But it is so worth it.

We started by reading labels. We eliminated high fructose corn syrup, trans fat, and reduced sugar drastically. We had to throw a ton away! Reading labels can be scary.

Marker
08-06-2007, 04:06 PM
More and more people find less time to sit around the dinner table and eat together as a family.

And that is a whole other issue other than obesity. That is the breakdown of the family unit, and all that goes with it, the family connection, a chance to set family tradition, a chance to teach the kids as well as a chance to learn from them, a chance to stay in tune with what's going on, good and bad, in each other's lives.

While my kids were growing up, I held on TIGHT to that tradition. We were all expected to be home for supper, together. Sure, there were circumstances, but as a general rule, supper was at 6, BE THERE. Sunday dinner, at 12 or 12:30, period. Wife and I still eat supper together. And on Tuesday nights, the whole family comes to dinner, and if you're not not going to be there, you'd better call, and you'd better have a good reason. Yes, IT'S THAT IMPORTANT.

It amazes me that they actually have commercials on TV promiting eating as a family at the family dinner table.

Perhaps is it a dying thing, but only because people allow it to be.

In my humble opinion, allowing family mealtime to slip away is just another example of turning our backs on our children and letting them down.

Even at WDW, we might go our separate ways during the day, be we ALWAYS meet up for supper together.

luvdiznee
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Regardless of where we attempt to lay blame, ultimately WE are making the choice.

And regardless of what your mother may have taught you, you don't HAVE to eat it all.

And who can eat it all, especially at Disney...:mickey:

Marker
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
And who can eat it all, especially at Disney...:mickey:

Sadly, I could. On our trips using the dining plan, I never failed to clean my plate. Appetizer, entree & dessert.

Did I need that much food...NO
Did I have any problem at all eating it all ... NO
Would I have been satisfied with less...YES
If I were on my own meal plan, would I have ordered that much.... Not sure, in some cases yes, in most cases probably no, but for $$$ reasons.

DW & DD couldn't come close to eating that much, and didn't even use all of their credits, but I sure did, and frankly, I loved evey bite.

Although, I will say, my only real disappointment iwith the changing meal plan is the appetizer. I much rather have a salad or cup of soup than a piece of cheesecake or any other dessert. But do I really NEED either of them.... NO!!!

luvdiznee
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Sadly, I could. On our trips using the dining plan, I never failed to clean my plate. Appetizer, entree & dessert.

DW & DD couldn't come close to eating that much, and didn't even use all of their credits, but I sure did, and frankly, I loved evey bite.

Although, I will say, my only real disappointment iwith the changing meal plan is the appetizer. I much rather have a salad or cup of soup than a piece of cheesecake or any other dessert. But do I really NEED either of them.... NO!!!

OMG, that is too funny. And at the same time a little sickening...:D As far as the DP, I agree with (I believe it was yours) your other post as far as the new DP giving you a choice of app or desert. I would go for that. Then that way if there are two of you one could order app and the other desert and just share.

princessjojo
08-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I agree with so many comments, especially that tabletime is a big key. When I went away to college, I didn't gain the Freshman 15, it was more like 30-35. But when I came back home to where mom cooked and we ate at the table together, we were so consumed with eachother's day, we were too busy talking to eat. What happened was that we didn't rush through our meals and were full before we finished our plates. I learned to talk at the table and keep the weight off, for a while anyway. It kept our family together for a while as well.

BTW, has anyone seen that Baconator that Wendy's has? Can you say heart attack on the menu? But it looks so good.

poeticeclipse
08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
BTW, has anyone seen that Baconator that Wendy's has? Can you say heart attack on the menu? But it looks so good.

This brings me to another really good point (IMO). Have you actually LOOKED at the things that fast food chains give you? Okay, you see the picture and the buns are fluffy, the meat looks chewy, and the cheese is all melty. But, when you get it, do you sit down, put it on a plate, and look at it? Most likely, no. Because you are too busy in your car, at work, or washing dishes and eating. This food physically looks disgusting! If you compare it to a good home cooked meal it will look as though it belongs in the dumpster. The meat will be nice and greasy. The wrapper will practically have a hole in it from the grease on the buns. Ew Ew Ew. Not something I want to put into my body.

LittleSpirit02
08-06-2007, 11:34 PM
In "Super Size Me" I believe they said that a McDonald's salad with regular dressing is about the same calorie-wise as a Big Mac. So even fast food's so called "healthy" choices really aren't unless you avoid the chicken, cheese, bacon bits put on top and make sure you ask for the low fat dressing. lol.

Luckily, places like Panera Bread seem to be becoming more easily found. They offer great food in normal portions. No hamburgers, cheeseburgers or fries there. Only sandwiches, soups, and salads. I've yet to try anything there I didn't like. The mozzarella and tomato salad... amazing.

Ian
08-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I totally agree that sitting down to meals together as a family is key. I don't, however, agree that it has to be around the dinner table at home.

My wife and I both work and by the time we get home, neither of us is in the mood to cook dinner. We eat out more nights than not, but really who cares? Sitting around someone else's table chatting while that someone else makes our food actually gives us more time to talk to one another.

Now that being said, I totally agree that restaurant portions are completely out of control. Truth is, I think at some point in the last 10 years restaurants decided that there were huge profits to be made by "upsizing" portions and charging more for their food.

I clearly remember being able to go out to a dinner, get some reasonable food, and pay maybe 20 bucks for four people. Now we go out and if our bill for three of us is under $35 we cheer.

I always laugh when I watch the movie Point Break because there's a scene where Keanu Reeves' character buys three meatball sandwiches and two drinks and they charge him like $4.50 or something ... yeah right!! Now that's a $20 meal!

And whether or not it's our "choice" to eat all the food or not, the truth is when someone fills your plate your natural tendancy is to try and eat it all. It's been drilled into us since birth that wasting food was a bad thing ... "Clean your plate! Clean your plate!" ... how many of us grew up hearing that all the time??

Personally, I think a restaurant chain that said, "You know what? We're cutting our portions in half and charging you half as much for them!" would make a killing. The market is there for that much in the way that it's there for whole foods.

JanetMegan
08-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Isn't that what is behind TGI Friday's Right Portion Pright Price new menu? I haven't tried it but it looks like more correct portions for between $7-9 per person. Of course it suggests to have this menu in order to be able to eat appetizers, but at least it seems like someone is listening.

Personally I'm not real big on restraunt leftovers so I rarely bring anything home, but I most times do not eat all my food either. I also rarely go out for dinner, almost always for lunch. Which helps b/c the portions are better sized.

I wish I had a panera or something nearer my work, I love places like that.

JanetMegan
08-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Just for kickers I looked it up...

Baconator with large fries and large coke...

1,660 Calories
78 grams of fat

Maybe if I swapped to diet coke??

snifflesmcg
08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Another factor that plays into this is the cost of food...really.

Go to McDonald's and look at the prices. You can get a burger for $1 or a salad for around $6 or $7. You can feed a whole family for the price of one salad. But, the burger is nutritionally worse.

The same thing happens at the supermarket. A large loaf of white bread with little nutritional value is often $1 or less, but the Arnold 100% whole wheat (or similar type bread) comes in a smaller loaf and costs $3 or so. Same with cheese and other products that are offered in various price ranges.

A local politician did an informal experiment where he tried to live off a food stamp budget of about $24/week. He was forced to buy the cheap bread and a cheese that couldn't even legally be labeled cheese....they were called "sandwich slices". He reported feeling physically tired and unwell compared to his usual diet of higher-quality food.

So...sorry I'm so long winded...the cost of food (which translates to nutritional value) plays a big part in this problem too.'

I am SOOOO glad you posted this. I've made this argument for YEARS! I've had to live off a tight budget for years. I am an advid coupon cutter and bargain hunter. It's great on my budget when I save a ton a money but unfortunately, I don't get coupons on fruits and vegetables, I get them on prepackaged, high fat, high cholesterol, high sugar foods. Another thing, think about it, dark meat runs around $1.99 lb where white meat can run up to $4.99 lb. If I'm on a budget, guess which one I choose.

I am overweight. I just came back from the store with a bunch of "good stuff" (apples, grapes, salad mix, milk, oj and some other things). The bill ran $69 and I only got about a third of what I would normally buy.

I also saw that politician on tv. He had a hard time finding food for the week on $24. He ended up with a bunch of sodium infested Ramen Noodles.

conorsmom2000
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
It's funny you mentioned the Baconator - I'd never heard of it before, yet it was mentioned to me 3 times this weekend! Both my brother and my friends daughter said they had it - and what I thought was a little funny was that they both ordered a side salad with it! I guess somewhere they it might offset the damage... I too looked up the calorie content of the baconator and just for the burger alone it was 830 calories and 51 grams of fat!! But, the really scary thing is that it wasn't the highest calorie item on the menu (though, I don't know what a "triple everything with cheese" is either!) Portion sizes are very different from what they used to be, but we still keep buying it, especially if we feel it's a "value", plus, some see it as "bigger is better".

I also agree with many of the comments here. It's hard to compare to how things used to be, like when I was a kid, as things were different. My Mom was a SAHM, so money was definitely an issue and what kept us all eating at home. Now Mike and I both work, but dinner together is still mandatory - every night. But, I agree with Ian - it doesn't matter where that dinner table is, just that we are all there together. We make every effort to eat healthy, but as others have said, it's so much more expensive that way.

But, the bottom line is that it comes down to choice. You can choose to super size, or you can choose not to. You can choose things like the baconator, or you can choose a plain baked potato and side salad. But, in this crazy world we live in, we are more drawn to comfort food - we're busy, we're stressed and we tend to go into the "I deserve it" mode.... "I've had a terrible day, I deserve to treat myself".... It becomes a vicious cycle. As I get older, I realize the hardest thing to master in life is balance - we don't mind the occassional Happy Meal for Conor, as long as we know that it's balanced out with healthy eating the rest of time. We have no issue with video games, as he's given time limits, and the rest of that time is balanced out with good old fashioned play time, or time in the pool. I watch him jump rope or run with boundless engergy and I wish I could be like him!! :blush: The funniest thing is that most nights the 3 of us take Molly for a mile to a mile and a half walk - we constantly get comments from people along the way who are always surprised to see the 3 of us out walking our dog, like a family walk is a thing of the past.

For me personally, it really is just about choice, portion control, sneaking in physical activity where ever I can and living by "everything in moderation". I think as you get older, too, you get more concerned about the health risks. Take my husband for example - he is 5 ft 11 inches, 165 lbs, works a physical job - he looks perfectly fit and healthy, but he's not. His cholesterol and triglyceride numbers are way too high - since he turns 39 next week and works a stressful job, it's really made us take a look at how eating can affect us, even when weight isn't the issue. So, I can't say we'll never go to McDonalds again - but, if we do, it will be the healthiest item we can find or it will be Happy Meals for all (and Conor gets 3 toys! :D)

Sorry for rambling, but this was a timely topic as it's been on my mind a lot lately, especially with the discussion of the "baconator" this weekend!

gueli
08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
and one other thing...

check your ingrediants...look for 'high fructose corn syrup' ... it is in almost everything nowadays (ketchup, soda, cereal,soup, etc)...i am not saying it is the only thing, but it is a contributing factor to obesity...
mike

jedigrrrl
08-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Even thin people are unhealthy if they are not physically fit.

LOL! My friend calls these people TOFI: Thin on the Outside, Fat on the Inside

BronxTigger
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
So I realized yesterday morning that an Ikea cinnamon roll and a bagel with cream cheese have the same calorie count?? Bizarre. Of course, there is more to food than the # of calories, but still...

So I went to the supermarket yesterday, and spent about $90 on food that I hope will last until the end of the 17th (or a bit longer for some of it) for DH and I. We are trying not to eat out until the night of the 17th (DH birthday...we are going to Olive Garden). It should be interesting.

I gained a fair amount of weight last month (10-15 lbs-in one month!) because I was going to school all day so I was only sitting, and eating snacks to keep me from getting bored/falling asleep. Lots of mochas from Starbucks and McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts food (their breakfast sandwiches). Did NOT do good for my waist. On the 18th I leave for WDW, so it's eating out again for 5 days.

Jen C.
08-09-2007, 11:02 AM
LOL! My friend calls these people TOFI: Thin on the Outside, Fat on the Inside

:D I love it!

Speedy1998
08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Just for kickers I looked it up...

Baconator with large fries and large coke...

1,660 Calories
78 grams of fat

Maybe if I swapped to diet coke??

Well if you are only eating once,..... a week I think this sounds like a great meal.

SurferStitch
08-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Luckily, places like Panera Bread seem to be becoming more easily found. They offer great food in normal portions. No hamburgers, cheeseburgers or fries there. Only sandwiches, soups, and salads. I've yet to try anything there I didn't like. The mozzarella and tomato salad... amazing.

Go to Panera's web site and look at the nutritional facts on their food. High fat and high calorie all over the board. I was shocked at how much fat was in what looked like a healthy sandwich!

I love their food, but I try to eat there sparingly, just like any other fast food place.

I really watch my diet, exercise regularly, and generally live a healthy lifestyle. Keeping weight off is a lot of work for me, but looking good and being healthy is more important than indulging in bad food all the time. I cheat once a week, but that's it.

AvonleaCF
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Now here's a thread that's close to home!

After I graduated college I gained a ton of weight. I was working in an office, sitting all day, eating nothing but fast food and candy from the vending machine, and getting no exercise. After gaining over 20 pounds in one year and I decided to do something!

I gave up fast food. I gave up candy. I have up pretty much all processed food (Hostess and the like). I gave up nearly all sugar. Started reading labels and using a scale to get accurage portions. I also joined a gym.

50 pounds are now gone and I feel great!

However, it does come at a cost.

My weekly grocery bill...for ONE person...is around $70. True I don't eat out or pick up a burger on my way home from work and prepare all my food myself, but that's a lot of money for one person! I buy fresh vegetables and fruit and lean meat and maybe some yogurt and whole wheat bread. And this stuff never seems to be on sale! But I'm so much healthier now that I can justify the expense.

When I go out to eat with friends or my parents I make the right choices. Yes a burger and fries would be wonderful, but I get grilled chicken with a side of brocolli. And then I wrap half of it (did you know a proper portion of meat is about 4oz? About the size of a deck of cards). Or if we go for Mexican I get grilled chicken fajitas and don't eat the tortillas, cheese, and sour cream and ask for extra veggies instead of rice and beans.

It's not easy to change your eating style, but it's possible. I grew up in a house that rewardered good grades and behavior with a trip to McDonald's. If we were having a bad day we'd get extra dessert. Food = comfort.

The key is to think of food as fuel. Yes, there is a huge link between food and comfort and social settings, but you have to do what's right. Who says you have to get McDonald's if you're in a hurry? With a bit of planning there are other options. You can fix lean turkey on whole wheat with lettuce and tomato instead. Just as filling and 100x healthier.

I've now learned to eye ball correct portion sizes. This came after months of measuring and weighing my food (and yes, you even have to measure out vegetables...over eating those can be bad for you, too!).

And don't forget to exercise. Just finding the time to WALK for 30 or so minutes a day can make a huge difference to your health.

crazypoohbear
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I think a BIG part of the problem is that now we comfort with food.
After a bad Doctors appt, (maybe with shots) we take Jr. to McDonald's to "feel better"
"here you go honey it's okay, we'll get an Ice cream and you'll feel better"
It's raining out, lets go to Chuckie Cheese
We comfort, bribe and reward with food.
I did it, still do :(
I remember my youngest son getting mad because I would take him to McDonald's and he would get the happy meal because of the toy.
I would get the salad because I wanted to lose weight (still do, it's not working)
Anyway, He would take the salad and I would be stuck with the Cheese burger.
He asked the Manager once why he couldn't get the happy meal with a salad?
The manager said, most kids wouldn't want a salad!
This was about 8 years ago!

I think a great happy meal would have been a small drink or milk, a side salad and fruit slices WITH the toy!

I also put on lots of weight by not eating food with "fat" in it>
I ate tons of pasta (fat free!)
diet soda
"sugar free"
I'm just now learning that you have to read the WHOLE label!

starryeyes21
08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
I had been overweight pretty much all my life. I was at a doctor's appontment and an nurse, who was quite overweight herself, put me on the scale. I topped out at almost 200 pounds. I was mortified. The nurse turned to me and said, "Honey it could be worse. You could weigh as much as me." At that moment I looked at her and realized that it was true. I was headed down the path to being really, horribly overweight. With one simple comment this nurse, without knowing it, changed my life forever.

The next day I marched into my nearest weight watchers and promised myself that I wouldn't stop walking through that door until I reached my goal weight. It's been two years since I reached goal and I've managed to keep it off.

Cutting out fast food completely has been one of the keys to my success.I can't eat McDonalds. For the rest of my life I will have to read labels and watch what I eat. It's a struggle everyday, but I know the consequences of not doing it.

janebanks
08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
You all would love a book called "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink.

BronxTigger
08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
After I graduated college I gained a ton of weight. I was working in an office, sitting all day, eating nothing but fast food and candy from the vending machine, and getting no exercise. After gaining over 20 pounds in one year and I decided to do something!

My weekly grocery bill...for ONE person...is around $70.

I'll bet that if you added up the cost of that fast food and snack machine "diet" you had been on, it would come close to the $70/week you are now spending, if not more. And, it tastes better and is better for you!

I've found that when I was eating out a lot, even fast food, it was more expensive than buying food from the supermarket and having all my food come from home.

A McDonald's Extra Value Meal costs around $6-$9 or so. Multiply that by 5, and you've got $30-$45 for lunch alone. And that leaves breakfasts, dinners, and weekends also, and snacks.

BronxTigger
08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh wow. This cookie jar (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2547797320100449647liKClx)is too funny! It makes you not want to eat a cookie. A flabby rat cookie jar? Yeah, okay.

Oh, and if you happen to want one, it's on sale at disneyshopping!

Disclaimer: It's from Ratatouille, a movie that I do want to see, because the movie looks cute! But the cookie jar....

crazypoohbear
08-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I had been overweight pretty much all my life. I was at a doctor's appontment and an nurse, who was quite overweight herself, put me on the scale. I topped out at almost 200 pounds. I was mortified. The nurse turned to me and said, "Honey it could be worse. You could weigh as much as me." At that moment I looked at her and realized that it was true. I was headed down the path to being really, horribly overweight. With one simple comment this nurse, without knowing it, changed my life forever.
The next day I marched into my nearest weight watchers and promised myself that I wouldn't stop walking through that door until I reached my goal weight. It's been two years since I reached goal and I've managed to keep it off.

Cutting out fast food completely has been one of the keys to my success.I can't eat McDonalds. For the rest of my life I will have to read labels and watch what I eat. It's a struggle everyday, but I know the consequences of not doing it.

GOOD FOR YOU:thumbsup:
WAY TO GO:number1:
CONGRATS:party:
YOU should be proud of yourself.:mickey:
I envy you!!!!
Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

mttafire
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM

WOW, Congrats! All to often people want to make excuses. Not just about this but anything in life. You have just shown what happens when you WORK hard and do things the hard way, SUCCESS! You did not blame others or some "condition" you just DID IT. Be proud!:thumbsup: You have taken control of YOUR life. We all can learn from this. No excuses just perseverance and dedication. I've found that in life perseverance conquers ALL. :mickey: I dont even know you but im proud of you!