PDA

View Full Version : V&A dress code

mouseaddict
08-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey All
We are going to V&A in 2 weeks and I want to be sure that I will be dressy enough..Nice pants and a blouse??? Going thru the wardrobe..no really nice dresses to be had...(typical mommy closet..). Also..shoes...what is acceptable?

SurferStitch
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I don't think dress pants and a blouse for V&A will be enough....Honestly, I've never seen a woman at V&A in pants (have been there 6 or 7 times now). V&A is the only restaurant on property that requires evening attire (but not tuxedos) for its formal atmosphere.

Blouses are listed under the business casual dress code, so unless it's very glitzy or considered formal evening attire (like a fancy crystal or sequined top), it probably won't suffice. There are very dressy pants out there, but slacks aren't in that category. So, if you're thinking a silk blouse with slacks, then you'll feel under dressed (that's pretty much under business casual), if something isn't said at all to you when you arrive.

I have seen people turned away from V&A, but mostly due to the man not wearing a jacket, or the woman not dressed up enough. I have also seen the host bring a jacket to a gentleman once who didn't have one.

It's probably best to go out and find a nice dress on sale, or splurge and get yourself something special. Summer sales are huge now, and if it's something you don't think you'll wear often, then you don't want to spend too much. You'll want nice dressy shoes, too (no thong sandals or loafers or flip-flops).

I've always worn evening gowns or very dressy dresses. Definitely evening attire.

You can see a description of the dress codes in Info Central.

pox24
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Jackets for men and dresses for the ladies. That's it. Its a great experience.:thumbsup:

Gusgus
08-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I have been to V&A's MANY times and I have seen ladies in pants \ pant suits. Below is an excerpt right from the official Disney world site (not a 3rd party site) that states a "dress or pants ensemble for ladies". I would recommend if you are concerened that you give them a call to their direct line 407-824-1089.

From disney.go.com:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=VictoriaandAlbertsDiningPage
Dinner jacket is required for gentlemen (tie optional) and dress or pants ensemble for ladies. Reservations required. Plan for 2 to 2½ hours dining time.

Gusgus

Hammer
08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I have been to V&A's MANY times and I have seen ladies in pants \ pant suits. Below is an excerpt right from the official Disney world site (not a 3rd party site) that states a "dress or pants ensemble for ladies". I would recommend if you are concerned that you give them a call to their direct line 407-824-1089.

From disney.go.com:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=VictoriaandAlbertsDiningPage
Dinner jacket is required for gentlemen (tie optional) and dress or pants ensemble for ladies. Reservations required. Plan for 2 to 2½ hours dining time.

Gus's

I agree with SurferStich and pox24 and you probably won't be dressy enough with dress pants and a blouse. When the dress code says "pants ensemble" they are usually referring to wearing a matching jacket and pants.

My advice is to have someone watch the kids for a couple of hours one afternoon and go shopping with one of your friends whose fashion opinion you trust and find a nice dress or pantsuit.

Natazu
08-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Rachel uses V&A visits for an excuse to by a new dress. She seems to think the dress code means "a dress you've never worn anywhere that isn't a Saks dressing room".

Tinkerfreak
08-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Rachel uses V&A visits for an excuse to by a new dress. She seems to think the dress code means "a dress you've never worn anywhere that isn't a Saks dressing room".

Rachel sounds like a smart girl!:funny:

Gusgus
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I think that I may not have been clear and I apologize if I mislead you Mouseaddict. Yes I agree pants and a blouse would not be enough. I have never seen anyone with only pants and a blouse. I'm a guy so what do I know? When I see "pant ensemble" at the Disney website I call that a pant suit which may be wrong. Let me describe what I have seen at V&A's. I have seen women that have looked really nice with pants, blouse, and a jacket that all match (something an executive business woman would wear) but it surely was not a dress.

The only point I was making (in addition to suggesting to call if there was confusion) was I have seen women at V&A's that where not wearing dresses and the disney website also stated dresses are not required. The good thing is this gives more options for shopping! Dress or "pant ensemble"!

Gusgus

mouseaddict
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
So DH called today for me..and the answer he received from V&A was pants and a blouse is fine..as long as it is not jeans or shorts...so now I am even more confused....oh well..I will figure it out.

TheRustyScupper
08-05-2007, 12:39 AM
1) The last time we went, Mrs Rusty gave me a choice.
2) For her attire,
. . . she could go in jeans and a t-shirt
. . . she could go in just sexy lingerie
. . . she could go in a brand new outfit
3) I gave her my choice.
4) She gave me her ultimatum.
5) After negotiation, we both got our choice.
6) The evening was wonderful.
7) Oh, and the food was good, too.

SurferStitch
08-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Well...yeah.......that's exactly what it means......isn't it?:blush:

SurferStitch
08-05-2007, 08:23 PM
So DH called today for me..and the answer he received from V&A was pants and a blouse is fine..as long as it is not jeans or shorts...so now I am even more confused....oh well..I will figure it out.

I don't know....doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like V&A is getting closer to business casual for ladies, and that's definitely not what I would consider acceptable for a place like V&A..

Trust me.....get something dressy.....you'll feel more comfortable there. It's a very elegant atmosphere, and your attire should reflect that.

Marker
08-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Enjoy it folks.

The only way I'll ever wear a coat to eat a meal is if I'm outside on a cold day. Otherwise, for me, there's no place I need to eat that's worth wearing a coat, or tie. It's just not happening.

garymacd
08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
My beloved wife had the same problem as you. We were going to V & A for our 25th anniversary and she felt she had nothing to wear. Since we were driving down from Ontario on the I-75 she had the greatest time of her life stopping at every shopping mall and outlet centre from Michigan to Georgia. She finally found just the right dress (actually three of them) in a place called the Dress Barn. The Dress Barn?! Never heard of it before. She found three dresses that were elegant and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

She looked beautiful. I am certain that you will figure it out and look just a good as my wife. A few people I noticed were wearing pant suits or business wear. Long evening wear is not required.

jedigrrrl
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
my mom wore nice pants, a nice blouse, aplain black jacket, heels, some nice fake jewelry, and pretty makeup and that was fine.

I wore a $14 cotton black dress from target. Here's a picture of us at dinner:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2337450580100333501GIyXvr?vhost=good-times

I'm all the way to the left... my mom has her eyes closed, lol.

Momof2boys
08-08-2007, 10:59 AM
The only way I'll ever wear a coat to eat a meal is if I'm outside on a cold day. Otherwise, for me, there's no place I need to eat that's worth wearing a coat, or tie. It's just not happening.

You sound just like my husband. And that's not a bad thing. I don't care for getting dressed up either.

Hammer
08-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Never meant to imply that a pants suit would not be appropriate. The jacket dresses the outfit in the picture up. Personally, as long as the dress doesn't look cheap (and none of the outfits in the picture look cheap), I don't think it has to cost a lot. If the original poster adds a coordinating jacket to her outfit, she should be fine and feel comfortable in her surroundings.

guccigirl
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Last Christamas when we dined there for us it had to be a suit for the guys and really posh evening dress, (coktail or long) for the ladies. High glam shoes or dandals were also the order of the day. I know generally we dress up more than our American cousins when we dine out but this is one place imo you just gotta wear a frock :marg: Its the best restaurant in Orlando afterall, Wedgewood china and impeccable service and ambience you need to go for it!

The night we were there were guys in Tux at the Chefs table.

I would not feel comfortable in trousers when all the other ladies were "frocked up".

It's not to say however if you want to wear trousers you can't if the dress code alows it and really want to

boo425
08-09-2007, 03:24 PM
When my husband and I dined there for our 25th anniversary, he wore a sports coat, shirt and tie and khaki dress slacks. I wore black dress pants with a white sequined shirt and black dress shoes. We both were very comfortable, and not out of place at all. I think if you dress as if you were attending an evening wedding reception, you should be fine.
Just enjoy the experience!!:party:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Dress in what makes you feel happy! Maybe that's a 8K haute couture dress or slacks and a blouse. It's your time, it's your event, and oh yeah, it's your money. My DH and I have eaten in many of the most elegant restaurants around the world and we've never seen a paying customer turned away for not "looking the part". They'd probably be out of business if they did.

Above all, make sure you feel comfortable, or you'll be so worried about what you wore, you might forget to enjoy the experience!

Dracula766
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
I've been wanting to try V&A for years but I'm not a big fan of having to wear a jacket to dinner.

How is the temperature in the dining room?

I get hot really easy, especially if I have to wear a jacket indoors.

Natazu
08-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I've been wanting to try V&A for years but I'm not a big fan of having to wear a jacket to dinner.

How is the temperature in the dining room?

I get hot really easy, especially if I have to wear a jacket indoors.
Once I sit down, the jacket comes off. No worries.

Kairi_7378
08-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I wore a $14 cotton black dress from target.

You guys look great. And I love Target bargains! They tend to travel better than other fancy dresses.
My coworker said that V and A's is comparable to the Four Seasons restaurants, which I have eaten at. I would agree that either a fancy blouse or a jacket would be the way to go... at least when you first arrive. After a few courses I would be tempted to remove the jacket.

disneynarula
08-12-2007, 12:29 AM
As tacky as this sounds I have found some nice dresses at thrift stores/consingment shops and ebay.

No sense spending a bundle on something that you will not wear a lot.

mouseaddict
08-12-2007, 07:24 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. We are heading out this morning and I think I am set for the big dinner..can't wait!