PDA

View Full Version : Help, please...trip may be canceled...

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Really need help here everyone...my friend just backed out on me on our trip for Sept 17-21 because he actually can't afford it. He tried to make it work but couldn't in the end. He is getting most of his money from the travel agent because he had paid the airfare.

I'm the "Disney Fanatic" out of the two of us, him having never gone before.

Now what should I do...take a Monday to Friday solo trip to The World, or just cancel it and go next year?

What would you do? Never done a solo trip...really need advice and Pixie Dust to make this work...

I need to know by today because my friend is going on holidays for a couple weeks and the entire trip has to be paid for by Tuesday...

Chris :hatter:

AvonleaCF
08-03-2007, 10:47 AM
Go solo!!

That's what I'm doing, cause none of my friends are interested or can afford it.

You'll have a blast. Disney is very solo-friendly. They transport you to your resort, all the transportation is taken care of, and it's fairly safe.

And think of it this way: you can do what you want, when you want. No compromising. :)

faline
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Why not make it a solo trip? :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
GO GO GO -- just imagine, doing what YOU want to do without having to think about someone else. Wow.... I've been a mom for so long now that I can't even imagine such a thing....

playdead88
08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
i agree! i think you'll have a blast - is it too late to book some cool tours? :mickey:

BigRedDad
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Go Solo. There are a lot of things to enjoy by yourself. You may also meet another solo traveler that you can hang out with.

LauraF
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Three words - single ride lines :number1:

Go solo if you feel you can.
It's a little weird eating dinner by oneself in the restaurants, but it's better than not enjoying oneself. Do a Google search on solo WDW trips. There's one site I came across that had a lot of tips for solo travelers (might have been All Ears).

snifflesmcg
08-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I would either try to find somebody else or wait until somebody could go with you. I used to travel alot alone for my job and whenever I hit some touristy place, I always felt out of place. Like I could never share the experience with someone. IMO, it's more fun with somebody else.

SBETigg
08-03-2007, 12:01 PM
It depends on your financial situation. You said you were going in May, too, I believe? If holding off now would make that trip so much better, then wait. If you can easily swing both trips and know you'll have a great time on your own, then go.

To me, it sounds like you are crunching to make this one happen and if you need our encouragement, maybe that's the voice in the back of your head saying it would be wiser to wait. I have no idea. Just playing armchair philospher. If you ask a bunch of Disney fans if you should go, you know most of us are going to say "oh yes! Go!" But be realistic for you.

Figment78
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Go! I spent some time alone on our last trip there and met up with others later and it was actually pretty relaxing! As for not "sharing" your trip, maybe you could keep a small notebook/journal with you and jot down any thoughts you'd like to share with others when you get back or just for your memories. Of course you could always post a trip report here on intercot during or after your trip too! It will be like we are all right there with you!

mjm12000
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
GO SOLO for sure... i prefer going solo and usually end up doing so for the same reason you are experiencing... no one has the money or time or interest and so what starts out as a great idea of let's go to Disney becomes fine I am still going alone then. And let me tell you I love it... you get to do what ever you want when you want. The only real draw back is that the hotel costs more when you have no one helping to foot the bill. If you want to share your experience do like I do and bring a long a video camera... everyday I do a video journal, I find a new location to film in each day, set up the camera and then do a video diary talking to the camera like I would to a friend about my day. It is great fun and people passing by while I am filming always get a kick out of it... I have one from my first entry that I did on my first solo trip where this guy is behind me waving and stuff and then he asks what I am filming for... we ended up having a great laugh and I still laugh when I watch the clip.

Anyhow all that is to say traveling alone has so many advantages and when you feel like talking get out your camera or just talk to people in line, you will be surprised at how easy it is.

January-2007
08-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, go solo! It could still be a lot of fun! When I was a teenager I went with just my parents a few times, and it was practically like going solo because I only met up with them a few times other than being at the resort, and it was so much fun. Do what you want, when you want, single rider lines, stop here or there to shop or take as many random pictures as you want, I'm sure you can still have a great time, you will be in Walt Disney World! Good luck deciding! Let us know what you choose. :mickey:

glenpreece
08-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I've been 2 times solo and both times were great. You can do whatever you want. Go on what rides you want, shop, eat and sleep when you want. I love to get away and go solo. I noticed you are going the same time we are if you want can meet up if you want. I too am the Disney freak on this trip.

Donalds Duckie
08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
If you can afford it, definitely go solo! I go to Disney solo most of the time because my friends don't want to go or feel like they cannot afford to go. I'm going for another solo trip Aug. 31-Sept. 4 and I can hardly wait.

As mentioned, you can go at your pace, do you want to do, change your mind at any given time, you can maneuver the parks/crowds very easily solo, single rider lines, etc. I do not mind dining solo and haved had some excellent service and conversation from waitstaff at WDW. Remember, if you are dining solo the waitstaff only has to service YOU!

I enjoy WDW as much solo as with a travel companion.

Have a great time! Go for it!:mickey:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
08-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all of your responses.

Here's a new twist: We can't get our airfare back, its non-transferrable non-changeable.

Tried getting others to go with me, but no such luck. But I will keep trying, though I really don't think its going to happen.

So basically I go solo, or I don't go at all and lose my airfare.

Horrible situation to be in...most friends of mine, though, are suggesting I still go solo.

Chris :hatter:

Here we go again...
08-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, I would go with you if I could!!!
I say go solo. I love being with my friends or family, but being able to take as much time as I want doing what I want sounds like fun to me!

Have a great time! :mickey:

CleveRocks
08-05-2007, 09:23 AM
It's a highly personal decision ... it totally 100% depends on your comfort and enjoyment level in going it all alone. If you'd enjoy it, as most of the above say they already have, then it's a real no-brainer decision for you, especially in lightof your update about losing out on the airfare if you don't go.

But if you're like me, you'd feel uncomfortable and not enjoy it.

I was only at WDW alone once. I was presenting at a professional conference at the Wyndham Buena Vista Palace and had most of my late afternoons and evenings free. I went to the parks each evening, and I just didn't really enjoy myself. It was November of 1993. I remember one night in particular. Splash Mountain was still pretty new, and it was a HUGE line. At one point a CM far in the distance asked if there were any single riders in the line, to come forward. I did, and I hated that walk all by myself. I felt like all eyes were on me. It could have been the being there alone thing, or it could have been that I was proudly wearing my official Phillies jersey just days after they lost the World Series to the Blue Jays, and there were numerous Jays fans in the line.:blush:

Anyway, I'm a social animal, and part of my enjoyment of things is sharing the experience with others. I feel frustrated if I can't share with others, in the moment. My memories of being in the parks alone in November 1993 are not really fond ones.

But that's just me. I know that others cherish their solo trips, and that's really cool. Just not my thing ....