PDA

View Full Version : My Space

tinkerbelle75
08-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Ok so I am behind the times. I just discovered this site( with the insistance of my 15 yr old neice) and after 2 days, I have gotten e-mails from long lost friends and high school classmates, and even some family I haven't talked to in years. I think I am gonna be addicted soon!!!!:blush:
Is anybody else playing on myspace??

disneydeb
08-03-2007, 06:44 AM
My dd gave me an account for Mother's Day. I don't stay on it much, I MUCH prefer Intercot!:mickey:

DisneyDudet
08-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Haha I have one. I've had one for a few years now. I'm 23 so its often expected I have a myspace!

goofiecrazy
08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Hey I am 33 and have a my space account as well. I have had for a while now and have found friends from school and growing up on there plus people from work.Its really addictive and my page has a lot of disney stuff on it.Couple of of my friends on there are all about disney. I get a few times a day. Its as bad as being on here.

DizNee143
08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi im Brittany im 24 and im a myspace addict!!!:blush: i joined back in i think 2005...i go on at least twice a day.. with intercot and myspace together..i could be on the computer all day!! lol...
myspace is very addictive...and it really helps you stay in touch with people!! its great...
if anyone wants to actually check my page out..click on my username and go to my homepage..it'll bring you right to my myspace page!! :thumbsup::mickey:

CrazyStitch
08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I have one, but I don't use it much. Nothing Disney related (my trip will take care of that), but there is a bit of Transformers and City Of Heroes related stuff.

SBETigg
08-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm on myspace. If you follow my homepage link you can see my blog profile and there's a link that leads to my Myspace page. I'm always happy to add new friends. Especially new Disney fan friends. :mickey:

DisneyDudet
08-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Forgot to say you can add me too!!

Go to the my homepage link like everyone else!!!

Terra
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Yup!! I've got one too...
You can just follow my profile to my homepage which is the myspace account!!!!

PeachyGal
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm on myspace too! Go to my profile to find my homepage.

My sister-in-law got me hooked! And now I am officially addicted!!!

ImagiAsh
08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm on myspace too! Like the others above, my link is listed as my homepage on this site. I really find myspace great for networking!

Lizzy
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't live without it :blush:

snifflesmcg
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Myspace. I have come in contact with so many old friends, classmates and co-workers. It's wonderful. I love sending comments and pictures and links on there. I also love that I can be myself. It's not restricted at all.

Scar
08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
...I have gotten e-mails from long lost friends and high school classmates, and even some family I haven't talked to in years.Thanks for the warning. :bolt: ;)

DizneyFreak2002
08-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I never had a MySpace page.. and probably never will.....

krose78
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I agree myspace is as addicting as Intercot. I found lots of people online.

poeticeclipse
08-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I've had a MySpace account since '04. I don't think that I have a link attached in my profile... So, I will have to add that.

It's addicting! Really fun. But, there are downsides... you can get lots of annoying messages that aren't from real people. If you click the link inside of the message or comment, you'll probably get a virus. You need to be a little bit savvy when it comes to protecting yourself. If you don't know it, don't click on it. That's my motto.

Epc0tphr34k
08-03-2007, 03:28 PM
i have one but i very rarely use it, i have kevin smith of clerks fame friended so its how i keep up with what he has going cause i am a big fan....i would say i check mine once a month. i also have a facebook, livejournal and xanga account. they are all similar things i would say LJ is what i use the most.

Dracula766
08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm on too.

about 2 years ago I reconnected with an old classmate from highschool.

She's been my girlfriend for over a year now :crazy:

TiggeRia
08-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Yes, I have myspace--I go on there a lot, but certainly not as much as I visit Intercot! Mine can be found on my homepage under my profile. :mickey:

merlinmagic4
08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Hmmmmm...........how do you find people on it? I have this really negative image about myspace and I can't quite recall why.......... can anyone tell me how it works?

kaylamag
08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
A lot of young kids around here use it. I won't let my kids on, there is no way to monitor the activity. A girl i work with had a daughter that commited suicide around Chrismas. It was said that she was being bullied and recieved death threats on her myspace page. Its very sad.

Bethis26fan
08-03-2007, 09:19 PM
I have one too. I had one for a while and had to change to my new one. I have family up and down the east coast and it's a great way to keep in touch. :mickey:

Epc0tphr34k
08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Hmmmmm...........how do you find people on it? I have this really negative image about myspace and I can't quite recall why.......... can anyone tell me how it works?

the really negative issue comes from the fact that its a tool heavily used by pedophiles to find younger kids. it is also gotten negative connotations for being a trolling ground for people "looking to hook up"

kaerbear178
08-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a myspace as well. I only use it to keep in touch with people from high school and college. I have a facebook as well, it seems like a lot more people use that in the midwest where I am from.

kakn7294
08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
MySpace scares me - I'll probably never have a page either. I love Intercot though!!!

wdwgrl377
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
I've got a Myspace page it's all decorated with Disney stuff!! haha!! It is very addicting I will say that and agree.

I've found alot of people on there that I hadn't talked to in years. That's all I really use it for is to keep in touch with friends/family, etc.

If anyone comes across my account feel free to add me. I don't know how to let anyone here know what my name is, i guess i can link it somehow in my profile? :confused: I don't know..anyhow...it is really neat!

Ok i added my page name in my profile. If anyone finds me on myspace feel free to add me as a friend.

snowflakegirl
08-04-2007, 12:54 AM
I have to admit I'm a myspace addict, too. Never thought I would be, but I joined to keep up with a friend from high school's band, and then I started finding other old friends and current friends and the rest is history ;-).

Melanie
08-04-2007, 02:35 AM
MySpace scares me - I'll probably never have a page either. I love Intercot though!!!

It doesn't have to be scary, at least not for adults. ;) I wouldn't let my kids near it with a ten-foot pole though.

SBETigg
08-04-2007, 07:59 AM
It doesn't have to be scary, at least not for adults. ;) I wouldn't let my kids near it with a ten-foot pole though.

I agree, Melanie! Kathy, it scared me too but promotion is a necessity in my business and I had to start a page to connect with readers and reading groups. It has been a pretty successful networking tool, honestly. But I don't let my kids on Myspace, either.

PirateLover
08-04-2007, 10:49 AM
A lot of employers frown upon it and if you're job hunting and they find you on there it could be a major problem. Our school practically bullied us into deleting our accounts when we were student teaching so I deleted my original one but created a new one with a completely new email address that I only use for that and I don't use my real name just because I couldn't stand not having one, lol. I love keeping in touch with old friends and classmates through it. If you get friended by a person who is in a picture with Launchpad McQuack you'll know it's me.

As far as the pedophile thing, they are really starting to crackdown on that. I forget the last number released as to how many they've found and either banned or arrested but it was very large (which on one hand is scary but the other hand good because they WERE caught). Myspace does take a very active stance against it. But there are other things kids need to be aware of... the fact that even if your page is private, people (especially police!) can crack into it. When I was student teaching, the cop at the school would often say "Well I'm off to check out the myspace pages to see who's up to no good today."

MScholl13
08-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm one of those that is addicted to MySpace. I'm on it all the time! As far as safety goes, I used to get distrubing/weird messages from people, but once I made my profile private it eliminated that.

For me it's a great way to keep in touch with people and I often blog on there as well.

There is an Intercot group on MySpace. If you aren't already a member you should check it out!

merlinmagic4
08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
A lot of
When I was student teaching, the cop at the school would often say "Well I'm off to check out the myspace pages to see who's up to no good today."

Now I remember that a teacher in our town got into really big trouble over his myspace page. I'm pretty sure he got fired for it. He had written some pretty stupid things that shouldn't be written by a teacher of children.

PirateLover
08-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Now I remember that a teacher in our town got into really big trouble over his myspace page. I'm pretty sure he got fired for it. He had written some pretty stupid things that shouldn't be written by a teacher of children.

Exactly, that is why I try to be careful with mine. If I were ever to be found by a student on my myspace I would immediately delete it again, for good. There have also been cases of teachers seducing students on Myspace, so it's a hot button issue for many schools. It's ashame that some have to ruin it for others...

WonderlandsMostWanted
08-04-2007, 03:45 PM
I have it, I love it, I use it daily! If anyone from Intercot wants to add me, (my page is on my profile as my home page) you are welcome to, but send me a message when you add request me letting me know who you are and that you're from Intercot! :mickey:

I keep weirdos at bay, and cut down on most of the negative side effects of myspace screening who I add. I never accept a friend request without first checking out the person's home page and figuring out if:
A) I already know them
B) we know a lot of the same people thus they are a part of the same social scene
C) they are boasting a "get rich quick, work from home, or guess how I make a ton of extra money" type things. These are spammers, and I don't need them
D) Their friends list consists mostly of girls who look similar to me, comments exclusively from people who obviously don't know them and are leaving random comments just for the sake of doing so. These tend to people people I consider "not real people and folks who are just collecting friends on myspace, or tend to be creepy.

If I get a request from someone I don't know, but doesn't initially send up major red flags, I will sometimes send them a message, saying hi and asking what lead them to my page and why they want to be my friend, etc. If I don't get a response, they don't get an add.

Doing these things, I haven't run into problems in a few years. I've made some great friends via myspace, but by doing it smartly. I've connected with friends from years ago, and I can keep track of what everyone's up to, even though I don't get to see all of them all the time.

jennbunn
08-04-2007, 06:41 PM
most of my family has myspace so it is a easy way to stay connected. also i have found some old high school friends on there. it is alot of fun!!! just use caution like you would on any site and you will have a blast.

snifflesmcg
08-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Like anything on the internet, it can be bad if used the wrong way.

Myspace has gotten a bad name but it's only a few bad apples that have given it the bad name.

This is how I keep mine safe

-I ONLY add people that I know personally. That said I have 95 real personal friends

-Never respond to anyone that you do not know

-If you don't want employers (or anyone along those lines) to look at your profile, Make it private. That way only the people on your friend's list can see it.

-Children under the age of 14 are automatically added with a private profile.

-Don't put any specific information. Instead of saying "I live in Philadelphia" say "I live in Eastern PA". (I actually don't live in Philadelphia)

-There is also features that you can block anyone from messaging you that doesn't know your last name or people who aren't on your friend's list.

Myspace is always up on my computer and I have several messages a day. I think it's a wonderful website and I'm so glad I have it.

tinkerbelle75
08-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were so many intercotees on there. How do I find the Intercot group?
Now I need somebody to tell me how to "pimp my page"!:blush:

snifflesmcg
08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were so many intercotees on there. How do I find the Intercot group?
Now I need somebody to tell me how to "pimp my page"!:blush:

Let me be of assistance.

Go to yahoo or google and just put in the search engine "myspace layouts". There are more sites than you can shake a stick at. Spend some time finding just the one you like. I tend to change mine whenever I need an update or change of season. When you find that layout that you just can't live without (make sure you preview it first) just click the button that says "get code". When the screen pops up, you will see this gigantic URL code. Highlight the entire code, right click and then hit copy.

Now go to your myspace. You will have to hit "edit profile". Go under the "About Me" section, right click and hit paste. It will then paste that URL code in that section. Then hit update. It may take a few minutes but then go to view your profile and your new background should be visible to all those who visit your page.

If you have any problems, let me know. I also know how to add picture comments, videos and slideshows as well.

My only suggestion, don't add a profile song. It usually starts playing automatically and it's normally loud and obnoxious. It's especially unpleasant to those trying to stream music.

Good luck!!!:thumbsup:

tinkerbelle75
08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
My only suggestion, don't add a profile song. It usually starts playing automatically and it's normally loud and obnoxious. It's especially unpleasant to those trying to stream music.

Good luck!!!:thumbsup:

LOL that's the first thing I did. I find it a tad annoying also, so I am probably going to take it off if I can find out how.
Thanks for the info!

snifflesmcg
08-05-2007, 12:50 AM
LOL that's the first thing I did. I find it a tad annoying also, so I am probably going to take it off if I can find out how.
Thanks for the info!

Ha ha, for alot of folks I know, that's the first thing they learned how to do as well......until I yell at them, lol :secret:.

Let me know how you make out on it all.

PeachyGal
08-05-2007, 09:00 AM
So how do I find the Intercot group?? I'd love to join!

PirateLover
08-05-2007, 04:16 PM
So how do I find the Intercot group?? I'd love to join!

Log in, go to the groups section on the header of your home page, and search for intercot. It should come up. As far as the songs go, you can go into your settings and disable songs from automatically playing. I THINK you can only disable your own song and songs on band pages from doing this. As for me I have an outside player so I can have multiple songs. I think it has the option of disabling automatic play I'll go check that now. At one point my friend had a myspace song, an additional player, and some video game that all started at once and if I forgot to turn the volume down before I visited her page it was very annoying.

poeticeclipse
08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm in the Intercot group! Can't miss the name "Stacey"!!!

i'm going to put a link right now in my profile

Dracula766
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
It seems the Intercot Group was created last year with little activity.

I'ts gonna get a jump start now.
:rocks:

tinkerbelle75
08-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok I have it up and running and Disney-fied!! Thanks to everyone for the help! Now I need some friends and some comments! (Just let me know that you're from ICOT! ) There is a link in my profile.:mickey:

DizNee143
08-07-2007, 08:31 AM
yay!! i joined the group on myspace!! :mickey:

Nate's Grandpa
08-07-2007, 09:10 AM
I just heard an interview by Bob Edwards of a group called "Young at Heart Chorus".
The average age of this group is 80.

They have a myspace site - youngatheartchorus.
This group is amazing, very popular on college campuses.

I guess I will sign up also, since I am only 60!

snifflesmcg
08-07-2007, 09:48 AM
I just joined myself. It's so weird to see all of your faces, lol. I've been on Intercot so long, I recognized a face that I had seen in a pic on here awhile ago and knew exactly who they were. Funny.

Dracula766
08-07-2007, 06:09 PM
I just heard an interview by Bob Edwards of a group called "Young at Heart Chorus".
The average age of this group is 80.

They have a myspace site - youngatheartchorus.
This group is amazing, very popular on college campuses.

I guess I will sign up also, since I am only 60!

MUSIC is the main thing that brought me to Myspace.

I don't listen to radio and I don't do MTV so the only ways I'd discover new music was by going to shows or word of mouth.

Myspace has made it easier to find music that I know I will like instead of what MTV "tells" people that they "should" like.

:soapbox:

SBETigg
08-07-2007, 06:30 PM
MUSIC is the main thing that brought me to Myspace.

I don't listen to radio and I don't do MTV so the only ways I'd discover new music was by going to shows or word of mouth.

Myspace has made it easier to find music that I know I will like instead of what MTV "tells" people that they "should" like.

:soapbox:

Does MTV still even play music?;)

snifflesmcg
08-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Does MTV still even play music?;)

Nope! I think they MAY at like 3 am. So pathetic.

Dracula766
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
**BUMP**

so I'm sitting here killing time goofing around online and I remembered the Intercot Myspace group.

This thread is a year old so I figured I'd bump it up and see who's joined in the past year.

If you are on myspace, come find the Intercot group :thumbsup:

Stich8818
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I too am on my space..Its listed on my profile here. Feel free to add me if you like. Just make sure you put a message in the request box so that way I know you are from Intercot.

TikiGoddess
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I just joined... my page is not much, but I'm going to see if I can find some other I'cotees to friend!

Cool!
Kathy

starryeyes21
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I have a myspace page and I love playing with it. It has all the countdowns to my wedding and my Disney honeymoon. It's so much fun. I love finding old friends and adding new ones.

wdwgrl377
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure I replied in this thread, but I've got a Myspace page too - it's in my profile. If you want to add me, feel free, but put a note that you're from Intercot!

I'm also on facebook too. :D

bleukarma
08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a myspace page but I'm not really addicted. I usually check it once a day to see if I have any messages. I only request people I know to keep the weirdo's away. But, I think I may go join the intercot group!! My myspace is my homepage, feel free to add me, just put in a message that you are from intercot! :mickey:

jrkcr
08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Yep, I've been on myspace for a few years now. I have teenaged daughters, and even though we live in the same house, we actually chat on there(weird, I know)....and I have a music playlist so I can listen to a few of my favorites any time I am online.

I chat with old high school friends that I haven't seen since 1988.

Plus, I chat with my intercot friend/real life friend, Diznee4me on there too! :mickey:

Melanie
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm much more a Facebook fan now. :thumbsup:

Flower
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Me too! I have been on it for almost a year and don't know what I ever did without it!

prprincess
08-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm much more a Facebook fan now. :thumbsup:I was much fonder of MySpace, but with all the new changes on Facebook lately, I'm really starting to like it. Both of them have their pros and cons, and sometimes wish that I could combine the two.

It's just amazing how many people I've gotten back in touch with due to being on both sites. It's great!

Now I need to go in and add the Intercot group on MySpace. I don't think I ever did!

tinklover
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
But there are other things kids need to be aware of... the fact that even if your page is private, people (especially police!) can crack into it. When I was student teaching, the cop at the school would often say "Well I'm off to check out the myspace pages to see who's up to no good today."

This is so true i had to delete mine because an ex had stalked me on there several times . every time i would remove him from my friends list he would hack his way back on and my page was private. No more myspace for me i much prefer intercot and i also love cafemom i am a member of all the disney groups there.

Minnie Imagineer
08-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I used to have one when I was about 14 or so. I was so addicted, I went on immediatly after school everyday and at night. Last year I decided to cancel my account so I would be more focused on school work and other stuff. Now Intercot is my internet addiction!
However, my friends are all peer presuring me to get a facebook page! lol

:geek:

:surf:

Marker
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM

... and, even though no one seems to use it, there is and Intercot group on facebook.

Diznee4Me
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
I signed up on the Myspace Intercot group also, :thumbsup: but Intercot is my main internet addiction!:D

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
I am on both Myspace and Facebook. I prefer Facebook.:thumbsup:
I am going to have to go and check out the Intercot groups now.

SBETigg
08-14-2008, 12:15 AM
I am on both Myspace and Facebook. I prefer Facebook.:thumbsup:
I am going to have to go and check out the Intercot groups now.

Facebook is better for keeping contact with people you know. Myspace is great for networking and getting to know people you may not know otherwise. I find both to be worthwhile, but then I'm in a business that depends on word of mouth. For contact with close friends, I do prefer Facebook.

Flower
08-14-2008, 09:09 AM
I wish facebook had a blog feature - I have a blogger account but use my facebook much more. it would just be convenient to have it all together.

princessjojo
08-15-2008, 09:27 AM
I have one... But I don't go there that often anymore compared to how I used to. I may go there about 3-4 days/week or so, but I still like it. You can get to mine through my homepage...just like the others...