PDA

View Full Version : Travelers Checks

SamG
08-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I wish I knew this before our trip so maybe it will help someone else.

When we got our traveler's checks, I got them in $500 denominations. I didn't want to use credit cards, obviously didn't want to carry that much cash, and thought "bigger denominations = fewer checks to carry around".

What a rude awakening when I tried to cash a check and the ONLY place on Disney property that would cash one that large was Sun Trust across from PI! (Not good when you check in on a Sunday!). POR (our hotel) wouldn't even cash it. OK, we actually got Wolfgang Puck's to cash one to pay for our meal there, but I wouldn't count on it.

Next time... PREPAID credit cards (read: gift card from Visa).

mainemajor
08-02-2007, 09:09 PM
$500 denominations are hard for stores/businesses to take because they tend to not keep large amounts of money for change. While I have not had problems cashing $100 traveler checks at stores and restaurants. Many carts could not do so. Having worked in retail for many years I was not surprised at this and had checks in $20 levels, too.

DisneyDudet
08-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Be very careful with those gift credit cards. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I've had problems with them before. You have to know exactly the amount left on them, especially when it comes down to the last dollars. Say you have 23 bucks left on the card and you're paying for something thats 25 bucks, it won't take it, unless the cashier knows and can alter the charge amount. I know its confusing, but its so hard to use the last few dollars.

My suggestion is to get some lower denomination traveler's checks, and the Disney gift card. You can use the gift card anywhere on property and not have to carry cash. You can do half TC and half GC.

DizneyRox
08-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Never been a fan of travellers checks.

I don't get why the reluctance to use a credit card though in many cases. While I'm the first to spout of the evils of credit cards, they are unfortunately an unnecessary evil. What you do need to do is have some self control when using them. There are advantage in many cases, like extended warranties, etc.

Most places take them, even for little amounts. I understand that many businesses would rather you pay by cash (they don't thave ot pay the fees), the convenience often just can't be beat.

Gift cards are tough because now you have money tied up that might not be used and can't be converted back. Ever since the merchandise selection was narrowed, I don't even think of those anymore. Who knows when I'd be able to use all the money on a gift card. When I go with Disney Dollars, I use those first (often at check in) to get rid of them.

luvdiznee
08-03-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm still a fan of travelers checks, myself. I usually get $100 and $20 increments. I tend to use the $100's in more places such as World of Disney store and save the smaller one's for smaller places. I did have trouble in DTD at Bongos, so I decided that a lot of times in DTD it is necessary to have cash or just a cc. :mickey:

gauvin4
08-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I have alway used travelers check and have never had a problem. I usuallly get them in $20 and $50. I do use a credit card but I don't like to use it for everything.

faline
08-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I usually get travelers checks in $100 denominations. I've never had a problem cashing them - though we tend to cash them when dining and then use the cash change for other purchaes.

Figgyluv03
08-03-2007, 01:04 PM
I think we'll be using a mixture of everything. I'm bringing Disney Dollars for spending on souviners and stuff, travers checks to security and a little bit of cash, 'cause I'm an over tipper, and my ATM card for emergenceis.

BigRedDad
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
$500 cashier's checks are hard to cash anywhere. Many stores would never take them at the risk of them being counterfeit, especially on a Sunday. Now, if it was a $500 bill, no store in the US can refuse to accept it or they have to provide you the merchandise or service free. However, they can accept it and require you to wait until the necessary change is available. It is against the law for any Business to not accept legal US tender.

sainter
08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Last time we went we used Disney gift cards that we purchased through the school's scrip program so that the school would get a percentage. We were able to pay for our room, tickets, food, and souvenirs all over the World. We knew that the restaurants at DTD did not take them but I think that is the ONLY place.

vamaggie
08-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Couldn't the OP have put the travelers checks onto the room charge account at POR and then charge to the room? We usually do this with the Disney gift cards we get (also from Scrip program) and the Disney Dollars kids get. Once the amount is used, they could leave another $500 traveler check if they didn't want to put it all on at once. Am I wrong in this assumption?:confused:

SteveL
08-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Now, if it was a $500 bill, no store in the US can refuse to accept it or they have to provide you the merchandise or service free. However, they can accept it and require you to wait until the necessary change is available. It is against the law for any Business to not accept legal US tender.

However, no federal law requires that a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services not yet provided. For example, a bus line may not allow payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. Some movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations as a matter of policy may refuse to accept large bills, such as above $20, and as long as there is a notice posted and a sale for goods or services has not already been completed, these businesses have not violated the legal tender law.

If the company has posted a notice about the new policy of only accepting money orders and credit/debit, they have fulfilled the requirement, and they are not required to accept cash for purchases. One advantage to the consumer in using a form of payment other than cash is that there will be a record of the payment made. For more information you can visit the Federal Reserve online.

TheRustyScupper
08-04-2007, 12:58 PM
. . . Now, if it was a $500 bill, no store in the US can refuse to accept it or they have to provide you the merchandise or service free . . .

1) Not exactly correct.
2) Actual cut-and-paste from the US Treasury site:

"Question: I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?"

"Answer: The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

NOTE: Underlines were made by me, so it is more readily identified

crazypoohbear
08-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't know how a business can be forced to accept a $500.00 bill for payment if they dont' have the money to make the change.
i.e. you want to purchase something for $20.00, you give the store $500.00.
The store only has $100.00 in cash, do you just call it even????

cinderellangel
08-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Interesting that you bring this up because I'm going to WDW for a land/sea vacay. For my cruise, I'm using my credit card because the
1. I want no worries about currency exchanges when I'm in the Bahamas
2. DCL takes an imprint of the credit card, so why not just use it?

For the land, I will be using the gift cards from Commerce/Visa. It's much better that travelers cheques, because the bank charges you a fee for the checks. I