PDA

View Full Version : We SHOULD have let them cut in line!

yasmina
08-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Just back from DW yesterday.

We were at Blizzard Beach on Saturday. My dd's & I were in line for Teamboat Springs - the family raft ride. The line extended past the rope area. The way it is set up, alot of people were rounding the corner, seeing the end of the rope, and assuming the line started there. We all used our thumbs, like we were hitchhiking, saying the starts back there.

So we wind our way around the ropes and we get to the last bend before it starts going up behind the rocks. A lady of hispanic background goes around the pole and jumps in line behind this British family of 3 behind us (I know they were British because I had been talking to them and we had agreed to ride together since you have to have 4 people in a raft). This hispanic lady starts hollering in Spanish to her family to join her, and pretty soon there were about 10+ trying to push ahead of us. The Brits & I held our ground and refused to let them pass us. I almost said something to the cm's at the top, but held my tongue.

Well, we get to the bottom, after a fun ride down, get out of our raft, and there are 4 Dream Team members there, one using a clicker type of counter. No sooner did we get out of the water and they started handing out dream lanyards and pins! I was SO mad! Had we let that family in front of us, we would have won instead of them. The DT handed out at least 20 or more of the lanyards.

It was funny watching them hand out the prizes. As soon as people realized what was going on, they would run to the area and try to get a lanyard. One of the DT members jobs was to stand guard and not let anyone through who was not getting off the ride.

SBETigg
08-02-2007, 09:53 AM
But wasn't the ride fun? We loved that slide. We went on and on. The kids begged to go on one last time when the DH and I were almost dry, so we agreed figuring we wouldn't get too wet-- and a great big wave splashed over the DH (and no one else) at the end. Hilarious!

Still, in your case, I would be more happy that we held our ground. That's some obnoxious line-cutting! But sorry you didn't get lanyards.

BigRedDad
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
I would be more happy that you held your ground too. You had fun on the ride too.

This goes directly to the past thread on talking about line cutting. People and other cultures have a complete lack of respect for others now.

yasmina
08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
But wasn't the ride fun? We loved that slide. We went on and on. The kids begged to go on one last time when the DH and I were almost dry, so we agreed figuring we wouldn't get too wet-- and a great big wave splashed over the DH (and no one else) at the end. Hilarious!

Still, in your case, I would be more happy that we held our ground. That's some obnoxious line-cutting! But sorry you didn't get lanyards.

This is always one of our favorite rides. As a matter of fact, it's why our kids pick BB over TL.

yasmina
08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I would be more happy that you held your ground too. You had fun on the ride too.

This goes directly to the past thread on talking about line cutting. People and other cultures have a complete lack of respect for others now.

I am very proud of our group for holding our ground and it taught our kids an important lesson.

It is so true about certain cultures not knowing how to wait in lines. They just don't do it in their countries. But I am a firm believer in "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". If they are visiting (or living in)our country, then they need to learn our customs and abide by them.

Years ago, I lived for a year in a no-line culture. I had to learn to push and shove to get on busses, etc. , and then - believe it or not - had to relearn my line-waiting skills when I got home.

Then, of course, you do have just plain, rude Americans (mostly teens - I'm a middle school teacher - and have seen their behavior deteriorate over the years).

luvdiznee
08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
You guys are better for having held your ground. And it is only a lanyard. :mickey:

January-2007
08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Oh that stinks!!!

Pop Centurion
08-05-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't want to start an argument but was the nationalities of the people relevant to the story. You may have just been trying to describe everyone but aren't we all just people in the end?

yasmina
08-05-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't want to start an argument but was the nationalities of the people relevant to the story. You may have just been trying to describe everyone but aren't we all just people in the end?

Indeed we are all just people, but I never mentioned anyone's nationality, only their heritage. I specifically did not say a nationality, as I am not a Spanish speaker, and am not able differentiate between linguistic dialects, and therefore could not say what country they were from.

As I mentioned in a previous post, line-waiting is a cultural thing. There are many differences among people in this country alone. Customs that are the norm where I live differ greatly from some customs elsewhere in the country. These differences are even greater among different countries.

I meant no disrespect to any person of Hispanic origin, and perhaps it wasn't particularly relevant to this particular story, except that I have read previous posts describing similar behavior from groups from south of the border.

Pop Centurion
08-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, nationality describes people with common origin, language, and traditions. Heritage describes traditions, legacy & birthrights. So to me you were describing their nationality or race.

mttafire
08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, nationality describes people with common origin, language, and traditions. Heritage describes traditions, legacy & birthrights. So to me you were describing their nationality or race.:sleepin:

Piglet822
08-06-2007, 12:01 AM
*MODERATOR'S REMINDER*

Just a friendly reminder, folks. Let's stay on topic. The topic has nothing to do with heritage, culture or nationality, simply the unfortunate timing of missing out on a Dream Team prize.

yasmina
08-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Well, nationality describes people with common origin, language, and traditions. Heritage describes traditions, legacy & birthrights. So to me you were describing their nationality or race.

My apologies. I should have used either ethnicity or hispanophones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_people_by_nationality#By_nationality

I have always used nationality as the descriptor term used for persons from a certain country, i.e. French, Canadian, American, and so on.

However, since you peaked my intellectual curiosity, I have learned that you are correct also.

From Wiki: Nationality is a relationship between a person and their state of origin, culture, association, affiliation and/or loyalty.

Gosh, you learn something new everyday. Thanks!

yasmina
08-06-2007, 08:13 AM
:sleepin:

I know, not the most interesting topic of conversation, but intellectual to say the least!

:)

yasmina
08-06-2007, 08:14 AM
*MODERATOR'S REMINDER*

Just a friendly reminder, folks. Let's stay on topic. The topic has nothing to do with heritage, culture or nationality, simply the unfortunate timing of missing out on a Dream Team prize.

My apologies, I posted my reply before I saw your reminder. Please remove if you deem necessary.

Pop Centurion
08-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I'd like to apologize as well. I should have discussed this privately with Yasmina.
Anyway, it stinks that you missed out. Any idea what the dream prize was?

yasmina
08-08-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd like to apologize as well. I should have discussed this privately with Yasmina.
Anyway, it stinks that you missed out. Any idea what the dream prize was?

They were handing out the special lanyards and pins. Not any of the big prizes, but irritating nonetheless.

jszczur5
08-18-2007, 01:02 AM
People and other cultures have a complete lack of respect for others now.

Rudeness is not a cultural thing.

As to whether or not the original poster SHOULD have let the large family cut in line, I still say she did the right thing. If we all say nothing and let everyone cut, then it would occur more and more often. Why wait in line when you can just bully your way to the front?
Nah, you did the right thing. Sorry about missing out on the lanyards though.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Sorry that happened to you and your family!

Being from a major metropolitan area, I've had people jump in front of me to take my cab, push past me in line at stores, take my order at delis and so on (of all ethnicities, I must add). I think it's symptomatic of being in a crowded city atmosphere where you need to be agressive to survive.

Good for you for standing your ground! I personally would have said something to stop them (again, I'm used to having to be gruff at moments to get by).

The Bookseller
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your lack of luck due to a brunch of "ONErs" (The 1% of the "Guests" who don't understand that WDW is a nice place) not having their ways with you.

Be sure that Karma keep track of this and awaits you in a corner with wonders.

Speedy1998
08-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Rudeness is not a cultural thing.

Yes, and no. Remeber what you in your culture consider to be rude is perfectly normal behavior in other countries. The perfect example is a story my former boss once told me about a business trip to Japan. He was on a crowded train, and being raised a good Southern boy, he got up to give his seat on the train to a woman, well her husband sat down and made her stand.

I defenitely believe in the when in Rome theory though.... to bad that they can not take behavior of the guest into account when giving out the prizes.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
When I was traveling in Italy with my friend (whom the Italian men constantly cat-called "Bella Americana!"), I noticed that none of the younger men held doors open for women or let them go first (although some of the older men did). Also, they didn't give up seats on crowded trains or lend a hand when trying to heave something heavy (as happened to us).
This was in Milan, Rome and Florence. I don't know if it's that "big city survival" "every man (and woman) for him/herself attitude.

I've visited other countries and things were different. I think maybe it's that rude people will be rude not matter where they are. It's just sad that it has to happen in the happiest place on earth.

ncscgirl2005
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
When I was traveling in Italy with my friend (whom the Italian men constantly cat-called "Bella Americana!"), I noticed that none of the younger men held doors open for women or let them go first (although some of the older men did). Also, they didn't give up seats on crowded trains or lend a hand when trying to heave something heavy (as happened to us).
This was in Milan, Rome and Florence. I don't know if it's that "big city survival" "every man (and woman) for him/herself attitude.

I've visited other countries and things were different. I think maybe it's that rude people will be rude not matter where they are. It's just sad that it has to happen in the happiest place on earth.

Both instances happend to us at WDW. People tried cutting line but that didn't bother me as much as grown men not giving up seats on crowded buses to young children and the elderly. It was almost sickening. Any and everytime there was an instance where we were able to find a seat, but a child or elderly person was standing, we always gave up at least one (sometimes two) of our seats to accomodate them. My husband would also give up his seats to women, no matter what the age. It just made sense. We are a whole lot more sturdier than a young child or an elderely person. I was really annoyed by that by the end of our trip.

dtootsie42
08-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I have a friend who is from China and she said the hardest thing she had to learn was to form a line. She said they don't do that in China and she was telling us that there is a big push for teaching manners for the upcoming summer olympics. We have had a couple of cutting in line instances, some times I say something and some times I don't , it depends on the situation. I tend not to say much unless one of my children gets mistreated...sometimes you just don't know how people are going to react and sometimes the reaction is just plain scary.

Dec. 97-Contemporary
Dec. 99-Poly
2000-Disneyland
Dec. 2001-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005-Poly Concierge
Upcoming trip
Nov. 2007-Poly Concierge