PDA

View Full Version : non smoking policy

septembergirl
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
I understand that Disney has implemented a non smoking policy for all resorts. Sorry, Smokers, :blush: but I am thrilled as I have a DS with asthma and I am also highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I am wondering what your experiences have been for those of you who have visited since this policy was put in place this summer.
1) Have you found that people have been respectful of the new policy?
2) Is there a residual smell in any of the rooms which were formerly smoking room?
3) Where are smokers allowed to partake?

Seasonscraps
08-02-2007, 07:47 AM
1. Yes, I didn't see anyone smoking where they are not permitted.

2. No, the rooms were throroghly cleaned before the turn over.

3. It varies from resort to resort. Here are the smoking locations (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/smokefreepolicy/default.asp) at each resort.

yasmina
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
We just got back yesterday, and generally found, as far as we could tell, that people were respecting the new rules.

Obviously, we couldn't tell if anyone was smoking in their rooms, but we saw alot of people at the smoking areas.

Dh & I are smokers and had requested a room near a DSA. It was just across the sidewalk from one, and that's where we went. One time, I had an unlit ciggie in my hand with my lighter and was on the way out the door. My dd's distracted me with a question, and - not even thinking - I lit it. Took half a puff and said s@%#!, and ran outside.

I can say that I THINK ours was a former smoking room - we saw other doors that had the non-smoking symbol on the door - ours didn't - and it did not smell at all.

Except for that one half-puff mistake, we did not smoke in the room, and only smoked where permitted.

Our room was on the ground floor. On the second half of our trip, from Sunday - Tues., everyone in the rooms near us smoked too. They stepped just outside their doors and smoked. I realize that's against the new rules. Don't know if anyone reported them (WE didn't) and since we were all part of the "sinner's circle":blush:, I doubt if anyone else did.

JoDisney
08-02-2007, 07:47 PM
We went to WL and the people in the room beside ours totally ignore the new regulation. They would smoke on the balcony and the smoke would come on our balcony. We have children with asthma and they suffered. We did not think the new smoking regulation would go over big. WL has designated areas outside to smoke, but that apparently did not offer the convenience of the balcony to the next door guests. We knew that guests would sneak their smokes. Thus, we sadly disagree with the policy. We think, in time, most rooms will have traces of smoke contamination. It is a shame. But, some smokers are not going to go downstairs to smoke. We had a courtyard view. We were glad when they left. The smoking rooms should stay, so that some smokers that ignore the regulation do not contribute to smoky rooms. It is so difficult to get that smell removed. Disney will not go to the expensive of removing the smell everytime. A smoky room cannot be find a remedy with just a spray.

Polynesian Dweller
08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I do think that Disney will go to the expense of the clean up for two reasons. First, they are charging a fee ($250 if I remember right) if a person has smoked to pay for the cleanup. Second, they have a greater liability in the possibility of a lawsuit for promising smoke free if they don't.

However, they may want to get tougher on these things. Perhaps rather than a single fine for smoking in the room, a fine each day it is detected with the possibility of expulsion from the hotel for problematic people.

Sorry smokers (I was one but quit 20 years ago) but the world is changing and smoking is not as acceptable as it used to be and will become less so as time goes on. All anyone is asking at this point is to follow the rules and smoke in the designated spots. That should be possible.

yasmina
08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
We went to WL and the people in the room beside ours totally ignore the new regulation. They would smoke on the balcony and the smoke would come on our balcony. We have children with asthma and they suffered. We did not think the new smoking regulation would go over big. WL has designated areas outside to smoke, but that apparently did not offer the convenience of the balcony to the next door guests. We knew that guests would sneak their smokes. Thus, we sadly disagree with the policy. We think, in time, most rooms will have traces of smoke contamination. It is a shame. But, some smokers are not going to go downstairs to smoke. We had a courtyard view. We were glad when they left. The smoking rooms should stay, so that some smokers that ignore the regulation do not contribute to smoky rooms. It is so difficult to get that smell removed. Disney will not go to the expensive of removing the smell everytime. A smoky room cannot be find a remedy with just a spray.

I am very sorry that you had that experience. Unfortunately, not all smokers are considerate. We were getting on the train at MK Tues. PM to go to the front gate (would have been faster to walk, but the kids wanted to walk through Toon Town on their last visit). When the train pulled in, there were 2 "ladies" who literally lit cigarettes as soon as they set foot off the train. The cm finally was able to catch them and tell them to put the smokes out.

Except for the one half-puff mistake I made, we did not smoke in our room, nor just outside our door. Granted, it was easier for us since we did not have to go downstairs. But I have stayed in hotels that were non-smoking before, and hey, you do what the rules say.

I hope you reported the smokers to the resort cms. They need to be made aware of persons who flagrantly disregard the rules.

I agree that the decision to go all non-smoking was bad. Most of the resorts are made up of different buildings. One building at each could be designated as smoking, with no smoking at all the others. Forget smoking rooms at different buildings, as we all know how smoking permeates other areas.

LauraF
08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
One building at each could be designated as smoking, with no smoking at all the others. Forget smoking rooms at different buildings, as we all know how smoking permeates other areas.
I agree! I think that's a great idea.
As a non-smoker it's amazing to note how smoke will get into adjacent rooms, especially upper floors. Having solid walls from another building will cut down on smoke travel immensely. I'm not a militant NS, so as long as the smokers don't force me to share their habit, I'm fine with letting them do their thing.

MNNHFLTX
08-03-2007, 10:41 AM
We went to WL and the people in the room beside ours totally ignore the new regulation. They would smoke on the balcony and the smoke would come on our balcony. We have children with asthma and they suffered. It is imperative that people notify the front desk or security at the resort when they observe someone violating the smoking policy. When we were at the Caribbean Beach Resort last June, we found cast members prepared and ready to enforce the policy (including the fine) when we encountered a situation such as yours and reported it. In most cases, it would be impossible for them to know that this is happening unless other guests let them know. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
08-03-2007, 11:43 AM
We were there shortly after the policy was implemented. I am a smoker, however I don't smoke in our cars or house, so this new policy was not a problem for me. Actually I met more people at the "smoke pits" than just getting a quick "puff" in front of my door. So I guess it has been a positive thing. I did see people smoke in non-designated areas, I guess I was more in tune to that than non-smokers. No one came running up "ticketing" them or "kicking" them out. I understand rules are rules and for me I will adhere to them, but I'm not one who's going to run and tell a CM that the guy in the yellow shirt has a lit cigarette, that's just crazy. I'm there to have fun and I try not to worry about the little things. If we are to "nit pick" policy and rules what about those people who use old re-fillable cups year after year. I see that more often than a smoker lit up in a non-desiganted area. Smoking is still legal in the U.S. but stealing is against not only policy but the law. (stealing drinks).......I'm sorry to ramble....I just love going to WDW and if someone is smoking or using an old cup, and if someone who gets paid to watch for that "busts" them, more power to 'em. I'll let myself worry about other things like what I want to ride next.

MNNHFLTX
08-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I understand rules are rules and for me I will adhere to them, but I'm not one who's going to run and tell a CM that the guy in the yellow shirt has a lit cigarette, that's just crazy. I'm there to have fun and I try not to worry about the little things. If we are to "nit pick" policy and rules what about those people who use old re-fillable cups year after year. I see that more often than a smoker lit up in a non-desiganted area. Smoking is still legal in the U.S. but stealing is against not only policy but the law. (stealing drinks).......I'm sorry to ramble....I just love going to WDW and if someone is smoking or using an old cup, and if someone who gets paid to watch for that "busts" them, more power to 'em. I'll let myself worry about other things like what I want to ride next.I hear what you're saying, but enforcing the non-smoking policy vs. the refillable mugs policy is comparing apples and oranges, I think. Disney enacted the new policy (at least in part, I'm sure) in response to the health needs of their guests. In order to enforce the policy they need to know when violations are occurring; that's why I encourage people to let resort cast members know if they see someone lighting up where they shouldn't. It could be that some are unaware of the designated smoking areas and just need to be pointed in the right direction. In any case, for many people it is a matter of health, not just inconvenience.

BTW, I appreciate your being a considerate smoker--thank you. :)

JoDisney
08-03-2007, 07:25 PM
We did notify WL and the CM laughed. We were concerned about the chidren because the smoke was affecting them. The CM just laughed, as I said, and looked up the room and said "oh they're leaving today." That is all she said. The policy just went into effect and she did not seem to be concerned.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
At our hotel, the only smokers we saw were smoking in the DSA’s. However, we did see a few people smoking out of bounds in the MK around Frontier Land. I didn't go out of my way to tell a CM. Overall we were impressed by the overwhelming majority of guest abiding by the new smoking rules.

vamaggie
08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
We did notify WL and the CM laughed. We were concerned about the chidren because the smoke was affecting them. The CM just laughed, as I said, and looked up the room and said "oh they're leaving today." That is all she said. The policy just went into effect and she did not seem to be concerned.

This would have ticked me off more than the smoker!! You bet I would have been asking for a manager and not only reporting the smoker but also the CM who not only disregarded policy but also dismissed a complaint from a paying customer. I tend to "go up the chain" of "power" when 1st line folks don't get it. The hardest thing for me would have been holding my tongue rather than telling this CM my true feelings on her attitude/actions!!!

MNNHFLTX
08-03-2007, 09:54 PM
We did notify WL and the CM laughed. We were concerned about the chidren because the smoke was affecting them. The CM just laughed, as I said, and looked up the room and said "oh they're leaving today." That is all she said. The policy just went into effect and she did not seem to be concerned.Oh, that is just not right. I would have asked for a manager too. That is poor customer service.

The cast member I spoke with at Caribbean Beach Resort in June was very receptive to my call and security very prompt in dealing with it.