PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes

wendybird
08-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I live on the west coast and always make trips over in September, due to low crowds. We usually encounter rain and an occasional hurricane. We are 2 months into hurricane season and (dare I say it) has there been NO hurricanes to speak of? I don't mean to jinx a good thing, but does anyone else think it is unusual to have not had one in the Gulf or Carribean yet?

mttafire
08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
We go 75% of the time in May...NO hurricanes. The other 25% we go in Sept. "hurricane
season." We dont even think about it. We dont have control over mother nature so we just decided not to worry over it...Keep the faith!! You'll be fine!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
08-01-2007, 11:09 PM
To answer your second question about not yet having a hurricane, although hurricane season starts officially in June early season storms are not that common. For example, in 2004 when 4 hurricanes went through Central Florida, the first named storm of the season was July 31. When I look at the historical records, 1 to 4 in June and July is not atypical and then the height of the season is late August through late September.

That said, don't worry about it. Disney takes good care of you and in 16 years going in Sep. to Nov. we have yet to be affected. :mickey:

kakn7294
08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Oh thanks! You just jinxed my trip for sure! ;)

DDuck66
08-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Please do not JINX us. I live about an hour and a half from Disney about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Don't worry about it. It is just part of our way of life down here. In fact, I was at WDW when Hurricane Chalrey came through. The parks closed early that day, but everything was back open the next morning with the exception of AK. Supposedly the access roads were blocked by trees.

kaliepooh
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Hurricanes, hurricanes stay away so that the families that are going to Disney in September will get a chance to play!

Of course you hurricanes don't come near my little island!

IloveDisney71
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
I live on the Gulf Coast about 45 minutes inland from Gulf Shores so I pay just a little attention to hurricanes. :) It really is NOT unusual to not have hurricanes in June and July. Ivan and Katrina didn't hit until later in the season. BUT cross your fingers, and maybe we'll get lucky like we did last year!
Disney does work really well with guests in the case of hurricanes.

BigRedDad
08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
You cannot predict a Hurricane season. There have already been 4 named storms this year. One thing to remember, because I lived down there at the time, is Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It was the first storm of the year and the second most destructive ever.

I recommend you not worry about it at all. Go and enjoy.

bleukarma
08-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I don’t start worrying about hurricane’s until September. It seems like most of our more active hurricanes have happened in September or even October. However if I was going through a hurricane then Disney World is the place that I would want to ride it out!! If it wasn’t for my dog then DW would defiantly be my evacuation plan! But, until Disney has pet friendly hotels then I’ll be on I75 like everybody else. Only if it’s a category 3 or above though. I don’t even worry about them if they are a 1 or a 2.

faline
08-02-2007, 03:01 PM
The number of storms early in the season really has no correlation to the possibility of storms later in the season. The odds that a hurricane or tropical storm will hit during your trip are slim but there is certainly always a possibility.