PDA

View Full Version : Wispering Canyon - Food really that terrible?

ccnykamp
08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Okay, I was excited about our upcoming meal at Wispering Canyon. The atmosphere sounds exciting and the menu looks good too. However, a podcast I listen to recently did a review of WC that has given me second thoughts.

These are WDW lovers and rave about other WDW dining experiences so they aren't just disney slammers. They also have the theme, atmosphere and service thumbs up. But, they said the food was terrible. They described dinner in detail and it did sound terrible.

My question specifically is about your experiences with the food. I know the restraunt is fun, so as much as possible please tell me your opinion of the food specifically (even if you love the fun of being there).

Thanks

CU Tiger
08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I disagree with the food review you received. :humph: We have gone every year for the past four years and think the food is good. :thumbsup: It is not outstanding, but it does not even come close to being bad. I have tried several different menu items and have been satisfied each time. I think you will enjoy both the atmosphere and the food. Get excited again! :mickey:

luvdiznee
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
The only bad food I had here was the VERY DRY fried chicken and salty pork chops (my son). Have been looking for a good one every since. :thedolls: But the skillet is great. Can't wait to go and try the breakfast one.

sassafras
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
the food is good, but the atmosphere with all the hijinx is a little much for me, but you should like it. Enjoy!

wdw_bound
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
We've been twice in two years and have ADRs for our December trip. It is DH's favorite meal in the world. He usually gets a steak, and it has been excellent each time. I've gotten the skillet both times. I am a BBQ snob (I smoke my own meats on a regular basis). I've had the skillet for lunch and the ribs weren't quite as tender as they should have been. Still very, very good though. At supper, the ribs and the rest of the skillet was just right!

My one concern with the skillet is the recent reports that they have substituted the sausage with shrimp. Not exactly true to the restaurant's theme - how many cowboys have you heard of who, after a long day out on the range, swagger up to the chuckwagon and say "Cookie, gimme half a pound of them shrimp"????

You'll enjoy the food, and the entertainment, IMHO

MauiMouse
08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
I've eaten here twice and enjoyed both times, the last time was for breakfast. We all shared the skillet and I really liked it a lot. I would not hestiate to eat here again.

mickey&missy
08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
We had lunch there and thought it was good. We wanted to go back during the trip but couldn't get another ressie.

I think you'll enjoy the food and have a great time!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Count us as WCC fans! :thumbsup:

We've been twice, and both times the food has been good (not awesome great, but quite good...nothing wrong with it in the least, and I'l fairly picky about things) and the atmosphere tons of fun.

We will go back on the next trip, with no hesitations at all...don't worry, you'll enjoy :number1:

DessertDivaFL
08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Food was great when I went. That pulled pork sandwich is awesome. I couldn't stop eating that coleslaw! Yum! Yum!

KylesMom
08-02-2007, 02:42 AM
As with EVERY Disney restaurant, everyone has their own take on how good/bad the meal is.

We choose our ADRs very carefully, paying particular attention to the menus and if they are "up our alley". For instance, we are bar-b-que connoseurs on the weekend (steaks, chops, chicken, sausage-you get the idea) and choose our meals according to taste.

We have stayed at WL for the past two years, and have eaten two times each time for dinner with one breakfast thrown in. Each time, the skillets were tasty, the atmosphere fun and the service good. Let's put it this way - there aren't a whole lot of restaurants that can keep us eating for almost two hours! The only reason we didn't particularly care for breakfast was it was just too loud that early in the morning.

Some of our other "can't miss" ADRs include LeCellier, Ohana, Mama Melrose, Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill - and along the way, they've all gotten questionable ratings from folks. Trust your instincts with the menu, and don't let a podcast sway your decision if you like what you see. It wouldn't be that popular (especially for $22+ each per adult) if it was a bad meal - and you sure wouldn't need ADRs for it!!!

Now, I can't guarantee that you'll love it. As previously mentioned, we each have our own tastes. However, we chose Whispering Canyon based on the menu and the majority of other Intercotee feedback and we've never been sorry! :mickey:

I should also add that my DH does NOT like being the center of attention and would just as soon eat his meal in peace. However, he puts up with all of the shennanigans because he loves the food so much. Yes, he has been the one elected to hand the kids their "prizes" after the pony races while trying to enjoy his meal - and he's the one who insists we have two ADRs each trip!!!

dolphinmickey9170
08-02-2007, 03:41 AM
We were there in May and had the skillet. It is delicious, but there were no shrimp.

Maleficent's Dad
08-02-2007, 08:36 AM
As with EVERY Disney restaurant, everyone has their own take on how good/bad the meal is.
Well said Carol!

We love WCC and have eaten here numerous times - and will do so again in a few weeks.

We definitely prefer breakfast over dinner.
The skillets are what we normally get - lots of meat, however.

Is it Disney's best food? Not by a long shot. But it's a safe bet, and it is a wonderful atmosphere. We've never had bad food here - although I can't say we ever had "to die for" food here, either. It's just good, safe food.

We prefer the atmosphere at WCC over, say, 50's PT at MGM.

Goofster
08-02-2007, 11:48 AM
We love WCC. We have eaten there for breakfast on numerous occasions. We've had lunch there once and dinner once as well. Great food and a great atmosphere. For breakfast we always get the skillet. For lunch, we both got sandwiches -- very good. And the one dinner we had, we also got the skillet. No complaints from us! :thumbsup:

We'll be having lunch there again on our September trip. Can't wait! :D

Marker
08-02-2007, 01:41 PM
"Terrible"????? <sigh> Another negative spin.

Interesting, of the 4 possible answers only one provided for a postive comment about the food. "Great", "isn't bad", "not good", "so bad...I won't go back", 3 negative options. There's a whole lot of space between "Great" and "isn't bad".

"Great" may over rate the food a bit, but for me it was far above "isn't bad". I will definitely be going back at some point. The food was really good in my opinion.