PDA

View Full Version : Whats in a Lapu Lapu?

mickey&missy
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Just wondering if its something I'll enjoy?!

Maleficent's Dad
08-01-2007, 04:34 PM
What's in it?
Rum. And probably a dash of juice! ;)

I believe it's Meyer's Rum, tropical juices, and topped with Bacardi 151. A bit too much for me...:blush:

Figment!
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Official menu description:
Tropical fruit juices and Myers dark rum served in a fresh pineapple topped with Bacardi 151
:papple: :tikki: :papple: :tikki: :papple:

Clotho
08-01-2007, 05:54 PM
For the record, when I first started making my reservations for my trip, and told people I would be staying at the Polynesian, the first, emphatic reactions from many people were, "YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LAPU-LAPU!"

They followed that up by also saying you probably only need ONE. LOL!

SBETigg
08-01-2007, 06:04 PM
More specifically, it is:

1 shot Meyer's dark rum, 1 shot Bacardi 151 proof rum, 1 shot sour mix, ice, and orange juice all in a hollowed out pineapple.

Lapu Lapu was a ruler of the Phillipines. I had no idea. I always thought it meant "stupid tourist" or something. :blush:

mickey&missy
08-01-2007, 08:36 PM
More specifically, it is:

1 shot Meyer's dark rum, 1 shot Bacardi 151 proof rum, 1 shot sour mix, ice, and orange juice all in a hollowed out pineapple.

Lapu Lapu was a ruler of the Phillipines. I had no idea. I always thought it meant "stupid tourist" or something. :blush:

Lol!!

I actually googled it to see if I could get a recipe! Thanks!

All I came up within my search was that Lapu Lapu was the ruler of Phillipines!!

Wells
08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Don’t quote me on this but........ they have this stuff down in Florida, I think it’s called “alcohol” I had one of these on our last trip, and I’m pretty sure that there is a fair amount of that in there too.....;)

SurferStitch
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
I wonder if my DH just had a bad bartender that night.

He had one when we dined at 'Ohana, and he said it was kind of weak. Also, there was no more than 3/4 cup of liquid in it because the hole for the drink was so tiny. He was pretty ticked that he spent $12.50 on such a tiny drink.

Is this normal?

Momof2boys
08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Rum is my alcohol of choice, so I've had more than my fair share of Lapu's during our stays at the Poly and I don't think I ever had one that I'd describe as "weak". Sounds like your husband didn't get all that he paid for. However, I've never had one while dining at Ohana so don't know if that makes a difference than ordering it right in the Tambu Lounge.

offwego
08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
I wonder if my DH just had a bad bartender that night.

He had one when we dined at 'Ohana, and he said it was kind of weak. Also, there was no more than 3/4 cup of liquid in it because the hole for the drink was so tiny. He was pretty ticked that he spent $12.50 on such a tiny drink.

Is this normal?

I would say 3/4 cup would be about right (each shot is aprox 1 oz or so so you end up with less then one cup of liquid.

Re the weak not weak thing. Rum can be quite sweet along with the juice etc it doesn't taste like a drink in the same way say something with gin or other alchol's can so they can be very deceptive.

SurferStitch
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I would say 3/4 cup would be about right (each shot is aprox 1 oz or so so you end up with less then one cup of liquid.

Re the weak not weak thing. Rum can be quite sweet along with the juice etc it doesn't taste like a drink in the same way say something with gin or other alchol's can so they can be very deceptive.

Oh yeah, I hear what you're saying about the "weak, not weak" thing. But, I've had rum drinks at the AC, and after trying his Lapu Lapu, I had to agree with him. It just tasted like juice with a hint of rum. I can get a big mixed drink at AC for a lot less, and they are a lot better.

I also thought, that since it was blended with juice, that there would just be more. Five good sips and it was gone.