PDA

View Full Version : Sister is a CM...

T--
08-01-2007, 03:21 PM
but for an ancilliary business in L.A.
We're going to use her discount for a vacation in Feb. I think historically its been in the 40-50% off range for the room, but nothing in 2008 is posted yet. My questions are these:
1) will we be better off with a package or going room-only (a la carte)?
2) can we book the rooms now and apply whatever discount she gets once those are posted?

Thanks.

me...
08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Not sure what would be cheaper but I do know that she must make the reservations either throuh the portal or by calling the cast line. You can't just apply her discount because they only hold so many rooms at each resort for cast members at each discounted rate.

DizneyRox
08-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Yes, CM discounts run differently than normal discounts.

From what I have seen, CM and AP discounts tend to be about the same. I actually once got a cheaper rate under the AP discount than my CM discount. Because of the "restrictions" put on CMs, I happily switched over to an AP discount.

CM rooms tend to be the less desirable rooms. Chances of getting an upgrade are slim to nil as well.

I beleive that the CM will need to check you in to the room (they used to have to show up at the resort within a week of your arrival and prove they were a CM), but I'm not sure how that goes.

They can get you slightly discounted tickets as well, otherwise they will need to walk you into the parks, IF they are able to do that. I don't beleive every CM has the ability to get people into the parks like that.

I think you will probably be going with a room only discount. They offered a CM discount on the DDP last year I think, but I wouldn't expect it to be offered again. If they do, it's a bonus and might have other restrictions as well (like them staying in the room, etc). CMs DO get a discount on food as well, but then again, they need to be present. That's where an AP comes in handy. DDE discount and POSSIBLY a AP discounted room might be your best savings.

Just something to think about in your planning...

T--
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks for responses.
She can get 4 people in the parks.
We want to stay at the contemporary tower. What are our chances of pulling that off with 2 adjoining rooms?

DizneyRox
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for responses.
She can get 4 people in the parks.
We want to stay at the contemporary tower. What are our chances of pulling that off with 2 adjoining rooms?

Slim to nil...

Tower rooms will be booked by rack rate patrons most likely, maybe a couple AAA members. My CM room at AKL (savannah view) was about as far as you could
walk and in a corner behind a bunch of poles near some sort of AC unit.

These are all guesses, but don't get your hopes up. You may be pleasantly surprised, but in Disney, money talks... If you pay more, things get better with location, amenities, etc.

frakers
08-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Don't give up. I know that money talks, as the previous poster mentioned, but I am an airline employee and get 50% rooms. We go quite often and I have been able to get what we want most of the time. Granted, there are times there may not be rooms held for our "package" (and it is a package code) but we have had a variety of rooms, including concierge at several resorts, Concourse Tower facing the Magic Kingdom, Polynesian with the best lagoon view ever and most anything else.
As I understand, they have so many rooms available for each package and if you ask before they run out you will get what you want.