PDA

View Full Version : Going in June 2008

disneyplates
08-01-2007, 12:52 AM
This is my first time logging in, so bear with me. We have been to WDW 3 times in the past. 1996-Dixie Landings, 1999-Cornodo Springs, 2001-Corondo Springs. It will be 8 years by the time we go next June. We are excited. I have several questions about the DVC accomodations.
I have read alot of stuff on the internet and was wondering about the following: Have read that SSR is so far away, and that the bus transportation is bad? Have read that BC is overcrowded and in need of updating? Have read that the BW is noisy and overpriced? Have read that the WLV is also far away and may have bus problems? Have read that OKW needs updating? Can anyone give me some recommendations, tips, and thoughts. Thanks

BigRedDad
08-01-2007, 07:35 AM
First off, welcome. Second, I think you have found a lot of negative information. From what you explain, it seems like you found information from places that are against WDW.

You will find very credible sources here for information on all of the resorts. In general, DVC resorts are considered "deluxe"" resorts. I recommend searching through these forums for each and waiting for people with more recent experience on the status of the resorts. Determine what it is you are looking for in a resort, weigh the pros and cons, and make an informed decision.

Maleficent's Dad
08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
First off, :welcome: To Intercot!!!

We are DVC members, so I'll try to address your questions as we've stayed at all the DVC resorts; most, several times.

Have read that SSR is so far away, and that the bus transportation is bad?
SSR is very close to DTD and OKW - it is not too close to any particular park, but not a significant distance from any, either. It is furthest from the MK, but the buses will still get you there in about 15 minutes.
The bus system, throughout WDW, has significantly improved over the past 2-3 years - including SSR. So their transportation is not bad; in fact, being so close to DTD, they have some rather excellent transportation options (to all resorts!).

Have read that BC is overcrowded and in need of updating?
This one always gets me annoyed! :angry:
The BC is a bit more "bustling" in its main areas - yes, I agree to that. Just off the lobby, you'll find Cape May Cafe; just outside you'll find SAB and B&C. Most of SAB is closer to the BC side than the YC side. It's NOT overcrowded! If a resort sells out, Disney can't fit any more people into it...
All this said, the BCV are always quiet and relaxed. The villas building is separated from the main building and is quiet and pristine.
The BC - like all WDW resorts - gets constant upgrading. It's easy for someone to criticize a small thing; it's difficult for someone to praise Disney's usually outstanding features!

Have read that the BW is noisy and overpriced?
BW overpriced? It's in line with the other deluxe resorts. (Try the GF for comparison! ;)) All villas (DVC) are comparitively priced as your accomodations are usually much larger than standard rooms.
BW - I always hear how noisy it is! I'm tired of that one, too! :bang:
I've had BW view rooms, pool view rooms, and standard rooms. The only "noise" that has ever disturbed us is the fireworks section of Illuminations in EPCOT - and believe me, these are a lot louder at the BCV!
The first time we stayed at a Boardwalk View villa with kids, we were apprehensive about the noise. We never had a problem in the evenings - and our family is the "early to bed, early to rise" type. BW is our 'home' resort, and as such, we have spent more time here than any other place.

Have read that the WLV is also far away and may have bus problems?
VWL are close to the MK. They are a pleasant boatride away. In addition, there is a very quick bus to the MK. EPCOT & all other resorts are as close to VWL as they are to most other resorts! I don't find the "removed" resort argument to hold water with any Disney resort as the buses do the trick.
The buses at the WL - like those at the others mentioned above - have improved tremendously over the past 2-3 years. I know this from personal experience! In '02, I would have agreed with this statement (re the buses), but no longer - we've stayed here a few times and have not had any problems with buses at all; our only complaint is that the WL often shares buses with other resorts.

Have read that OKW needs updating?
OKW is in fine - very fine - shape. A few years ago, the pool was redone with a great slide.
Rooms here are huge, grounds are lush and beautiful; this is one resort where you'll be hardpressed to have a bad "view" out of your window(s).

Advice:
Room size: OKW
Theme: VWL
Convenience: SSR (to transport & DTD)
Pool: BCV

mprewitt
08-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Advice:
Room size: OKW
Theme: VWL
Convenience: SSR (to transport & DTD)
Pool: BCV

Good advice, Frank. On all the Disney boards, I see posts from people who are upset because they booked a certain resort, only to see some negative posts about it. Then they start fretting because they think their perfect vacation might be ruined.

In general, people are prone to post negative remarks rather than positive remarks. I've seen a lot of negative posts that make sweeping generalizations based upon a single isolated incident.

WDW is a magical place, and most follks seem to have a grand time. Yes, people have their preferences, but folks trying to plan their vacations probably shouldn't be swayed too much by negative criticism. Instead, figure out where to stay based upon the positive comments you hear.