PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits August 2007

Figment!
08-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Tidbits
August 2007

A More Contemporary Tower

8/23/07 Concept art has been hung on construction walls for the new Fantasia Shop that will re-place the collection of Kiosks in the central area at the one end of the Concourse. The concept art depicts an elongated open air (no ceiling) store with large Mickey Mouse Icon Frame entrances at both ends. Besides the construction walls, no further work has progressed on the new store likely delaying the opening from its tentative "August 2007" date.

A New (Fountain)View

8/20/07The Fountain View Cafe has begun a test phase as a new form. The new test location dubbed "Fountain View Ice Cream" is presented by Eddy's and offers a variety of cool treats.

The current menu is as follows:

Hand-Scooped Ice-Cream
Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Chocolate Chip, Mint Chocolate Chip, Rainbow Sherbet, Dulce de Leche or No Sugar Added Butter Pecan

Single Scoop Cone $2.69
Single Scoop Waffle Cone $3.09
Double Scoop Cone $3.69
Double Scoop Waffle Cone $4.09

Ice-Cream Sundae $4.19
Old-Fashioned Vanilla with Hot Fudge or Carmel, Whippped Cream and a Cherry

Ice-Cream Sandwich $4.99

Root Beer Float $3.99
Hand Scooped Vanilla Ice-Cream with Root Beer

Coca-Cola Float $3.99
Hand Scooped Vanilla Ice-Cream with Coca-Cola

Milk Shake $3.99
Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry

Assorted Cold Beverages $1.25 - $2.39

Nescafe Coffee $1.89

All of the items minus the Sundae are marked as a Snack Item on the Disney Dining Plan (despite some of the items being price significantly higher than the normal Snack Item price). It has not been reported how long the test period is planned to last, but it has been reported that if it goes well park management is planning to make the new form permanent.

Breakfasari

8/20/07 To alleviate breakfast crowds now with out a Tusker House option, Pizzafari has begun to serve Breakfast. The counter service breakfast options reportedly include Assorted Pastries, Breakfast Pizza, Cinamon Rolls, Egg Platter with Bacon or Sausage and French Toast. It is currently unknown if this offering is temporary or permanent.

Mobile Muppets

8/13/07Epcot Cast have reported that the Muppet Mobile Lab will soon be appearing for a limited time at Epcot. It has been reported that the latest generation of the Living Character Initiative is currently being prepared to make a short term appearance in Epcot's Future World. Further details have not been reported at this time.

A Dining Delay

8/13/07 Operations has updated that Teppan Edo will not meet the already delayed September 15, 2007 opening.

See Teppan Edo has been delayed.... (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=111581) for a current discussion.

8/7/07 Dining Reservations has clarified the reservation status of Teppan Edo as follows:

9/15/07 - 10/30/07: Current Reservations valid, No New Reservations accepted.

10/31/07 - Beyond: Current Reservations valid, New Reservations accepted.

In other words, the 15th opening date is truly tentative. It would be advisable for anyone with a reservation for the second half of September or October to have a plan B ready in case the date does slip.

8/1/07Dining Reservations has reported that Teppan Edo will be opening later than announced. The location is tentatively scheduled to re-open September 15th, 2007.

A Sans Central Cinema

8/13/07Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom has announced that VMK Central will be ceasing operation inside of the Main Street Cinema on September 30, 2007. The Walt Disney World resort has yet to make an announcment on the Main Street Cinema post VMK Central's departure.

Below is the announcment from Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom:
... on September 30th we're closing VMK Central at Walt Disney World.

...The game, very much like our theme parks, is always changing. We've always tried to experiment with unique ways of doing things, like in-Park Questing, and we'll continue to do that (for example, we'll still be doing cool stuff in the Parks, like the merchandise cards and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Quest) - but those things won't revolve just around VMK Central.

A Typhoon Test

8/13/07 Disney’s Caribbean Beach and Pop Century resorts have initiated a new test program at Typhoon Lagoon. From 8/4/07 – 9/8/07 (tentatively) Typhoon Lagoon is testing a new Children’s Activity Program for Guests 3- 9 that includes Lunch and activities such as volleyball, water balloon games, limbo, a pirate treasure hunt, a dance party and more.

The 40 child program runs from 10:00 am till 2:00 pm daily. The program is split into two age groups, 3-5 and 6-9, and is conducted by Ellis-trained life guards at a ratio of ~1 Guard per 5 children.

Guests can register through the Guest Services at the Caribbean Beach and Pop Century resorts, spots unfilled for the day will be available on a first come-first serve basis at Typhoon Lagoon. Check-in for each day’s program starts at 9:30 am near the Leaning Palms restaurant. The test program is included with Regular Park admission and all Guests must be potty trained to participate.

Studio Streetwork

8/7/07As Pixar Place construction continues on Mickey Avenue, the extent of the work has become more significant than originally anticipated. The renovated section of the street will apparently receive all new surfaces, as the existing surfaces have all been torn up. While the removal has so far been fairly visible, there is currently no clear indication of what the section will look like after the renovations beyond the placement of the Toy Story Mania! facade.

Studios Cast have reported that Phase II of Pixar Place is currently planned to involve the addition of a new Meet and Greet area. There is currently no clear time table on when Phase II may begin.

Horseshoe Happenings

8/7/07 The Diamond Horseshoe has been operating on and off as a Counter Service option this Summer. The location is offering a counter service selection of Grab 'n' Go style sandwiches, sides and soft drinks. Reports are sketchy on when exactly it has been operating, but it has been reportedly during "peak attendance days".

It is not clear if this operation is as a result of the afore-filed permits or if this is some sort of interim operation.

6/25/07 Disney has recently filled several work permits for minor work at the Diamond Horseshoe location in the Magic Kingdom. According to Dining Cast, these permits are to prepare the location to re-open as a Dining location albeit Seasonal and sans a show. While this location was used once before as a Peak Holiday Season buffet location, its future operation is being reported as operating as a Counter Service option during multiple Peak Crowd times of the year. It is not clear when the location will re-open in this new operation, but it is speculated it may not be until the Peak Holiday Season 2007.

Figment!
08-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Rock 'n' Rehab

8/4/07Operations has announced that Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment September 4 through October 4, 2007.

Wondering What's Next?

8/4/07 The exterior of the Wonders of Life pavilion is also experiencing some changes that signal its permanent closure as a public attraction. Over the last three days, the marquee sign in front of the pavilion has been removed and the signature Tower of Life (giant DNA sculpture) has been in process of being dismantled. The removal of these items, compounded with the internal work directly in preparation of a private event, appear to indicate that the pavilion is in process to be transformed into a semi-generic private event location.

8/3/07 The future of the Wonders of Life pavilion looks somewhat bleak, at least in relation to ever entering full operation again. Construction permits have been filed to remove all permanent fixtures and electrical components from the large center area in preparation of this year's Food and Wine Festival usage. While the usage is nothing new, removing these fixtures certainly is. This action seems to imply the central area will only be used for private or special events in the future.

Holiday Happenings

8/1/07 Disney has announced several expanded entertainment options for the 2007 Holiday Season. December 26th through 31st, 2007 the Disney-MGM Studios will show Fantasmic! daily at 6:30 pm, 8:30 pm and 10:00 pm. The New Years Eve edition of Fantasy in the Sky will be shown at the Magic Kingdom December 29th through the 31st, 2007 at 11:50 pm. The Magic Kingdom will also show a special regular-hours version of Holiday Wishes December 22 through the 31st at 9:00 pm (12/22-12/28) or 8:30 pm (12/29-12/31).

Rehab Round-Up

8/1/07 Operations has recently announced two changes to previously announced rehabs. The O Canada rehab has been extended to be closed August 6 through 31, 2007 and the Astro Orbiter rehab has been pushed back to September 9 through 22, 2007.

A Dino Dance

8/1/07 Animal Kingdom Cast have reported a new Evening Extra Magic Hour activity will soon debut in Dinoland USA. Similar to the Playhouse Disney Dance Party during Disney-MGM Studio's Evening Extra Magic Hours, the Animal Kingdom will reportedly begin to hold a (tentatively titled) "Character Dance Party" during select Extra Magic Hour Evenings.

Rally Pep-Up

8/1/07 Studios Cast have reported The High School Musical Pep Rally will reportedly receive some changes in the near future. While it has not been confirmed if the show will be updated to reflect High School Musical 2 like the Disney California Adventure (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=111346)version, it is speculated that it most likely will.

All-Change Cafe

8/1/07 Disney's Wide World of Sports is set to transform its only table service dining venue into a new counter service option. The All-Star Cafe is schedule to close for major renovations September 23 through November 19, 2007. The new counter service location will reportedly offer salads, soups, and sandwiches. It has not been confirmed if the counter service location will retain the All-Star Cafe moniker or if it will be renamed.

disneyboy98
08-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Thanks Jason! Always look forward to your updates!:mickey:

Have a good one!:thumbsup:

vizsla
08-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the updates.

CanadianWDWFan
08-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the updates Jason!

gauvin4
08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks Jason.:mickey:

scottgr
08-01-2007, 08:03 AM

Caroleh
08-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the updates, Jason!!!! :thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
08-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the update, even though it brought bad news. We have ADR's for Tappen Edo on 9/6. This is not good since we have a Grand Gathering party of 14.

Damon18
08-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks Jason!:thumbsup:

Lizzie
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the new info.

poeticeclipse
08-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks a bunch for the updates!

Why can't they just get rid of High School Musical all together? Can't we just pretend like that mess didn't happen? hehe!

pdrlkr
08-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the update Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the updates Jason... You may want to mention the food changes coming to Liberty Inn at Epcot's American Adventure... I heard the menu will be pretty different.... Just didn't hear of a time frame for this menu change....

tinksmom02
08-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the updates!

January-2007
08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
That's so sad about Wonders of Life. Seriously, Cranium Command was the best, it's just wrong....... Thanks for all the updates!

Polynesian Dweller
08-02-2007, 07:10 PM
The updates are appreciated. Sad about WOL. I'll miss Cranium Command the most. Hopefully they can find a sponsor who wants to put something in there.

ccp1
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the updates!

I don't understand. EPCOT already has the World ShowPlace Pavilion and the former Odyssey Restaurant (don't even get me started about how much I miss the Odyssey), now WOL... how many private event pavilions do they need at EPCOT?

Jeff G
08-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Interesting update, thanks for keeping us in the loop:thumbsup:.

I can't believe that WOL just sits there not being utilized. To use it for large/special gatherings makes no sense and seems to be such a waste. If it's not going to be reopened with the current interior why not make room for a new attraction. I have an idea, how about a 2000 version of Horizons.

Momof2boys
08-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the updates Jason ! One of my guilty pleasures is the Dance Parties so I'll be interested to see what AK serves up. :blush:

TINKERBELL_82
08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks a bunch for the updates Jason!:mickey:

BrerSchultzy
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the updates!

I don't understand. EPCOT already has the World ShowPlace Pavilion and the former Odyssey Restaurant (don't even get me started about how much I miss the Odyssey), now WOL... how many private event pavilions do they need at EPCOT?

First of all, thanks for the updates! I check this section way too often, hoping you've updated the Tidbits thread.

As to the question asked, "How many private event pavilions to they need at Epcot"...well...there has been quite the grumbling over the years that Epcot is turning into a REALLY nice and elaborate convention center. I used to dismiss this as paranoia and anti-corporate musings....but...

It's getting harder and harder to say that Epcot is a theme park....and it's getting more and more obvious that Epcot is a World's fair with a few good rides. There are three "E-ticket" rides (Soarin', TT, M:S), 7 "Dark" rides (JIYI, Nemo, Maelstrom, Living with the Land, Energy, Spaceship Earth, El Rio del Whatever), some movies, a bunch of great restaurants, and some neat shops. If it weren't for the shops, and the distance between attractions, Epcot would be in danger of being a half day park.

So, instead of building new attractions, Disney is using it as a perk to corporate and private events. I understand that it's good for business, and a little revolutionary in the industry, but they better be careful not to let Epcot slip too far.

Figment!
08-03-2007, 11:38 PM
**Updated**

lockedoutlogic
08-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the updates!

you'd be surprised how many events go on in EPCOT on a daily basis....

that equals mucho dinero...and takes some of the brunt of upkeep off the backs of resort operations.....

...it's actually better for all of us...less they start to cut more corners in EPCOT...which would be tragic

DisneyDudet
08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Glad to see there are specific dates for the RnRC rehab.

I just hope its up and running Oct 12!! Stay on schedule you worker bees!

As always, thank you Jason. I always look forward to your Tidbits!

GrumpyFan
08-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Disney hasn't confirmed this on their web-site yet, and I hope they don't! Because we're scheduled to be there during this timeframe with some friends who have never ridden it. So, please, please, PLEASE don't let this be true! It's bad timing too, especially since it's during the free dining promotion.

Crow
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
no RnR this trip for me then...and no SE which is even worse.
thanks for keeping us UTD

Figment!
08-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Disney hasn't confirmed this on their web-site yetAlthough waltdisneyworld.com is secondary source of rehab information, they actually have posted it.

They do appear to be having some loading issues, you may have to click the "go" button to get the updated info to load.

GrumpyFan
08-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Figment, (for the bad news),that's where I was looking earlier. Either it didn't refresh when I was there, or the info has been updated. Regardless, it's showing now. :pout: :cry:

DisneyDudet
08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
They do appear to be having some loading issues, you may have to click the "go" button to get the updated info to load.

Noticed this... most likely d/t the update of the ticket section of the site.

Is RnRC going down for just general refub or is there something specific they are doing?

Tekneek
08-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Once again, a ticket price increase does not mean they will actually bring Wonders of Life back to life. Pay more for less. It's the new Disney way.

glenpreece
08-05-2007, 07:10 PM
RnRC being closed now makes MGM almost not worth going to at all. It will be a half day trip with a Fantasmic thrown in one evening. Adam is going to be mad he has never been and I kept saying how'd he'd like RnRC. It was closed in Jan when I was there too.

disneyfan369
08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the updates!

Goofster
08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
RnRC being closed now makes MGM almost not worth going to at all. It will be a half day trip with a Fantasmic thrown in one evening. Adam is going to be mad he has never been and I kept saying how'd he'd like RnRC. It was closed in Jan when I was there too.

I agree completely. My wife and I were looking forward to riding it for the first time since 2002 (our Sept trip is without the kids). She won't ride ToT, so it really leaves nothing left to do that we couldn't normally do with the kids. :(

John
08-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Yet another future world pavillion bites the dust. With Imagination gone to the dogs, Mission Space scaring folks away, The whole of innoventions being a waste of space and a clog to the once great flow of traffic, now wonders of life - convention space.

Unless this is somehow a start to doing something productive with the space in the form of rides and attractions down the line - it seriously bothers me this is planning under the watch of new managment that is supposedly focused on Epcots future.

And I don't give a darn how much convention space earns the company. It's a THEME PARK.

Ian
08-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Yet another future world pavillion bites the dust. With Imagination gone to the dogs, Mission Space scaring folks away, The whole of innoventions being a waste of space and a clog to the once great flow of traffic, now wonders of life - convention space.

Unless this is somehow a start to doing something productive with the space in the form of rides and attractions down the line - it seriously bothers me this is planning under the watch of new managment that is supposedly focused on Epcots future.

And I don't give a darn how much convention space earns the company. It's a THEME PARK.Amen, John.

Lacy
08-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Very disappointed about WoL. This is the first place I ever visited at WDW. It is hard to believe that it is really done for as a public attraction. I don't get the private convention space in the park at all!

Also, disappointed about RnRC being down during free dining. Still excited about a trip with free dining but this means I'll be spending even less time at the Studios. We'll probably just show up for a ride on ToT, dinner, and Fantasmic!

Even though it isn't always good news, I appreciate the updates.

TheRustyScupper
08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
The exterior of the Wonders of Life pavilion is also experiencing some changes that signal its permanent closure as a public attraction. Over the last three days, the marquee sign in front of the pavilion has been removed and the signature Tower of Life (giant DNA sculpture) has been in process of being dismantled. The removal of these items, compounded with the internal work directly in preparation of a private event, appear to indicate that the pavilion is in process to be transformed into a semi-generic private event location.

1) Rats.
2) I did not need to hear of another ride permanent closure.
3) Especially when replaced by a private party venue.

DisneyDudet
08-08-2007, 05:56 PM
1) Rats.
2) I did not need to hear of another ride permanent closure.
3) Especially when replaced by a private party venue.

Exactly. It was a great place.

Good thing we did all we could the last time we were there and it was open. Thanks to Intercot, I knew to take advantage of WoL anytime we were there and it was open!

R.I.P Wonders of Life Pavilion. May you entertain and educate the masses along side the original Imagination, Horizons, World of Motion, Alien Encounter, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and The Timekeeper in the Disney World in the sky, where streets are paved with gold and Beaver Tails are abundant. You will be truly missed.

vizsla
08-09-2007, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the updates.

KylesMom
08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Is RnRC going down for just general refub or is there something specific they are doing?

Considering the amount of time RnRC was down while we were there in June (we're talking full days along with sporadic times almost each day we visited MGM), I'd guess that it's a general refurb - even though it went down earlier in the year for the same thing (and to add the single rider line queue).

Figment!
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
**Update**

Crow
08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
thanks
i checked last wk n my Teppan Edo ADR for 21st was still ok. they said the 15th open then but i will have to watch

WDWizard
08-13-2007, 04:23 PM
8/1/07 Studios Cast have reported The High School Musical Pep Rally will reportedly receive some changes in the near future. While it has not been confirmed if the show will be updated to reflect High School Musical 2 like the Disney California Adventure (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=111346)version, it is speculated that it most likely will.

Wasn't the HSM2 update to the pep rally already announced?..

"Disney High School Musical 2: School's Out!" With new songs and a rollicking new spirit, the Disney Channel Original Movie "High School Musical 2" comes to life on the streets of Disney's Hollywood Studios. It is interactive fun as high-energy performers on a traveling stage invite all ages to catch Wildcat fever by singing and dancing.

:thumbsup:

Figment!
08-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Wasn't the HSM2 update to the pep rally already announced?..Compare the date on the item and the date of the press release and you'll find that the item was posted 8 days before the press release was made.

offwego
08-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Jason..though how I'm going to explain RNR being down to DH I have no clue..think I could pretend not to know?

Thanks again!!

vizsla
08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the updates:thumbsup:

BrerSchultzy
08-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Any idea if they're going to move Pizza Planet to the new Pixar Place?

Just seems like it would make more sense.

Remzlightyear
08-16-2007, 06:51 PM
More space being allocated for "special events"! How upsetting! WoL should be made into some new attraction.:mad:

Figment!
08-20-2007, 11:31 AM
**Update**

Epc0tphr34k
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
root beer floats in epcot....Jason you just made my day and probably my next trip

Lacy
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Jason! Your updates are great! Now I can plan on a snack breakfast at the DAK. I'm hoping they have the Tusker House cinnamon rolls :tasty:

Also glad to hear abut the Fountain View Ice Cream. There can never be too many places to get shakes and floats!

vizsla
08-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the updates.

January-2007
08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the updates, it's good to see that the Fountainview will at least be open, it is always closed when we are there! And items more than $4, eh? Cool. I'm very interested in seeing the Muppets thing, we really like the Muppets.

valjane
08-23-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm really disappointed in the FountainView news. This used to be our favorite place for a relaxing snack/breakfast in Epcot. We could sit on the patio and people watch (with a great view of the fountain, too, of course) while drinking coffee and eating pastries. Everything there was so good!

I'm so sad to see it changed. :(

UnknownMouseketeer
08-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Keep 'em coming! :mickey:

NYC WDW Fan
09-01-2007, 11:50 PM
It's getting harder and harder to say that Epcot is a theme park....and it's getting more and more obvious that Epcot is a World's fair with a few good rides. There are three "E-ticket" rides (Soarin', TT, M:S), 7 "Dark" rides (JIYI, Nemo, Maelstrom, Living with the Land, Energy, Spaceship Earth, El Rio del Whatever), some movies, a bunch of great restaurants, and some neat shops. If it weren't for the shops, and the distance between attractions, Epcot would be in danger of being a half day park.

Exaggerate much? ;)