PDA

View Full Version : Complimentary Upgrades

RBrooksC
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
A quick question about complimentary upgrades. We will be staying at the WL in September. The room we were able to book was a Courtyard View room. The less expensive rooms were not available. Many friends have reminded us to always ask for a complimentary upgrade.

My question is this... what is the upgrade from the Courtyard View room? Is it Concierge or Deluxe? Also, would they even give a complimentary upgrade when one has a Courtyard View room?

SBETigg
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I can't find it now but there was just a thread with people saying that people who ask for complimentary upgrades are less likely to get them. Apparently, it's a CM pet peeve.

I've never asked, and never been upgraded but I've always been very happy with my rooms and locations. Upgrades are always nice, of course.

mdearmas
07-31-2007, 11:16 AM
The first trip I took my wife on back when she was my gf... lol i made a reservation at the ASM and when we arrived there had been a mix up and the rooms were booked.We were upgraded to a savanah view room at the AKL. It was amazing! What a wonderful first memory to have for our first disney trip together or which there have now been many.
:goofy:

TammiMcMan
07-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, the upgrade from courtyard would be club level. I wouldn't expect that to be a complimentary upgrade, especially if you have to ask for it, but it never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no, or offer it to you for the difference in the rack rate, at which point you can say "no thank you".

RBrooksC
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
I figured as much. My wife, apart from our friends, had read the same suggestion about asking for a complimentary upgrade. However, since the next level is such a jump I doubt that would happen. I was so hoping to get a basic standard room and getting the upgrade to Courtyard. Oh well, at least I know that I am going to get a nice view no matter what.

TheRustyScupper
07-31-2007, 03:40 PM
. . . Yes, the upgrade from courtyard would be club level . . .

Yep.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
08-02-2007, 09:33 AM
All the things I have read says it very much depends on the time of year. People say you are much more likely to be upgraded during slower times of year (ie. Value Season) and some other slow times.

cinderellagrl
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
During most of our trips during the last few years we have received a complimentary upgrade. Everytime someone in the family has mentioned how much we love disney, how many times we have been there (if we get to mention it before the cast member) and how much we love staying at disney resorts! the cast members are always so pleased and sometimes we are very suprised with and extra sprinkling of pixie dust!

My family has been upgraded to concierge twice. My parents were upgraded to concierge at the WL (the next summer we decided to pay for the club level, we loved it so much)

This summer we were upgraded to concierge at the BC, without asking or even hinting!

MNNHFLTX
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
You are more likely to get an upgrade from a standard room to courtyard view at Wilderness Lodge, than an upgrade from Courtyard to Club Level. But as Tammi said, it does not hurt to ask.

Donalds Duckie
08-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to ask to purchase an upgrade. Asking for a complimentary upgrade is another story. That's just my personal opinion.

TheRustyScupper
08-05-2007, 12:32 AM
. . . During most of our trips during the last few years we have received a complimentary upgrade . . .

1) Most upgrades occur 2-3 days before your check-in.
2) If available, the CM's do have some latitude.
3) They can give free upgrades as Pixie Dust Magic.
4) But, many won't give free ones if they are asked.

martinfamily5
08-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Okay, my family and I are preparing to go down in Oct.. We are staying at POR. If we got a complimentary upgrade, what would it be? We have been 5 times and never received this, and there are several people that have had several.

TammiMcMan
08-23-2007, 01:23 PM
We are staying at POR. If we got a complimentary upgrade, what would it be?The only upgrade that I know is available at POR's is if you booked a standard view and they upgraded you to water view.

minnie1956
08-23-2007, 09:33 PM
It's interesting this topic has become as popular as "can I re use" my mugs questions.
The more people ask for "free upgrades" the less they will be offered. Our policy is if we want a specific view, we do what we have to do to pay for it. Even if it has meant putting off trip for another couple of weeks or months to be able to do it. But hey, it doesn't cost anything to ask.

TammiMcMan
08-24-2007, 01:07 AM
The more people ask for "free upgrades" the less they will be offered. I don't think that's necessarily true. Mainly because, I don't think free upgrades are as common as people believe them to be in the first place. Seeing experiences lumped together on a message board, just make it appear that way. Hotels will continue to upgrade guests because it ultimately benefits the hotel. Whether it's due to a sell out in a lower category, a maintenance or shut down issue, or simply an enticement for a future booking. I know lots of guests who were originally given an upgraded view for "free" and now when they re-book, they pay to ensure that continued view.

mrsgaribaldi
08-24-2007, 09:20 AM
We got upgraded once at the Wilderness Lodge to a room on the top floor with a balcony and a view of the quiet pool. Otherwise I don't recall any other upgrades but we usually are not to particular about our rooms. I personally think it's a little tacky to ask for a free upgrade and if I was the CM I would probably do it to surprise people more than someone who asks. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone.:mickey:

DessertDivaFL
08-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I have never received a free upgrade, but then again, I have never asked for one either. If we get anything special without asking for it, I consider it a blessing and a part of that Disney magic.

Polynesian Dweller
08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Upgrades and complimentary upgrades are two different things in the hotel business. Hotels will upgrade, for a price (sometimes reduced), if they have availability. Really they are allowing you to change room categories but you will pay more for the upgrade room.

Complimentary upgrades are primarily done for hotel business reasons. These include compensation for a problem with your room, good will (i.e. when repairs are going on), and marketing (trying to highlight new services, encourage use of under-used high rate rooms, attract certain customer groups etc.).

Nothing wrong with asking for complimentary but don't expect to get it.

TheRustyScupper
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
. . . I personally think it's a little tacky to ask for a free upgrade and if I was the CM I would probably do it to surprise people more than someone who asks. Just my opinion, I'm not trying to offend anyone . . .

You betcha.

gardenia
08-24-2007, 08:46 PM
We've received several amazing upgrades over 15 years of visits - never, ever asked for one. Never, ever would ask for one.

TheMartellFamily
08-25-2007, 02:55 PM
I feel that it is a gift to you and if you ask for it is not the polite thing to do. but then this is just me. We have never recieved one but that is OK we are at WDW and that is what is important.

Ginaf
08-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Second time in 2 years, we received a complimentary upgrade....last year, we booked the CR and was asked to move to the GF....They upgraded us to concierge...This year when we entered the parking lot of the CR, the guard said welcome to the CR-:thumbsup: concierge level.. He announced that we were on our way and while we waited on line, a CM wisked us away to the 12th floor!! We had reserved a wing. We got 12th floor concierge. What a wonderful surprise!! We have never asked for an upgrade, either comp or paid and it has worked out well for us!

MinnieMommie
08-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I've had upgrades but have never asked for them. It seems as if that is a decision that would be in the hands of the CM. They know what is available and what they are able to do. :mickey: